Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Any team, unless it's run by a moron like Chiarelli, is a winning team with the current version of McDavid, that's not an appeal in and of itself.

I wouldn't be surprised if this goes into late September.

MacKinnon signed on Sept. 20th of his extension year, after training camp had already opened.

The thing is there's no real incentive for the Oilers to rush into a deal now if he wants to play hardball, you can offer him the same amount in late September. His camp might blink when faced with a situation of potentially going into the season with no extension, there's always a risk you can get hurt and then lose a lot of your leverage if you're a player.
One thing to remember is that this contract is about more than the AAV. Even if they agreed on that there are still significant details to work out. How much do you front load? How much of the contract comes from signing bonuses? With a massive deal these things can mean a lot.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There is zero proof of that. If LD is asking to much MDavid isn't stupid. He knows their winning time has gone, maybe that sends him away
It is actually very alarming. If Drai signs for 15M. McDavid is smart enough to know that right there would close the window for the Oilers. Why stick around for that?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I find Frank hilarious. He comes on Oilersnow and says Leon will take a discount and Bouchard, McDavid, Draisaitl have had conversations. He goes on Calgary radio and says media reports of Draisaitl taking a discount and 97,29,2 have had conversations are false. Those are your own media reports!

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I find Frank hilarious. He comes on Oilersnow and says Leon will take a discount and Bouchard, McDavid, Draisaitl have had conversations. He goes on Calgary radio and says media reports of Draisaitl taking a discount and 97,29,2 have had conversations are false. Those are your own media reports!
Yeah
Even on Edmonton radio he went from “The deal is done and you are going to be pleasantly surprised at the AAV”
To
“They are further apart than I thought” in a week
He just guesses me thinks

topseed

Jun 17, 2024
I think 13x8 is fair, but I won't hold it against Drai if he takes the org to the cleaners. That's what you get for handing out trash contracts like Skittles.
I think anything over 14 is an indication he is all about the bag.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I was listening to Swayman's comment on his recent podcast where he talks about how he now realizes his contract will set a precedent for his peers in the future. The way he phrases things makes me think that the NHLPA under new leadership has made a point to get in the ear of key players (and their agents) about how certain upcoming contracts will set the tone for superstars getting paid. I imagine Draisaitl has received similar advice from the NHLPA.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I was listening to Swayman's comment on his recent podcast where he talks about how he now realizes his contract will set a precedent for his peers in the future. The way he phrases things makes me think that the NHLPA under new leadership has made a point to get in the ear of key players (and their agents) about how certain upcoming contracts will set the tone for superstars getting paid. I imagine Draisaitl has received similar advice from the NHLPA.
I will again ask the same question. Why does the NHLPA want to get superstars to take as much as possible only to leave less for everyone else? For example, telling a player like Draisaitl to go for it just so a small handful of players can use this as leverage while the team will be worse and others on your own team will get less makes sense in what world?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I will again ask the same question. Why does the NHLPA want to get superstars to take as much as possible only to leave less for everyone else? For example, telling a player like Draisaitl to go for it just so a small handful of players can use this as leverage while the team will be worse and others on your own team will get less makes sense in what world?

It's telling who pulls the strings for the PA.

The PA serves its top 5% of salary earners, they couldn't possibly care less about the 95% of everyone else. It's a union that protects its sacred cows, but everyone else be damned.

Reactions: oilers'72

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's telling who pulls the strings for the PA.

The PA serves its top 5% of salary earners, they couldn't possibly care less about the 95% of everyone else. It's a union that protects its sacred cows, but everyone else be damned.
But why would a guy like Leon feel he needs to follow that advice? So that Auston Matthews is not mad at him. The NHLPA cannot assert much real pressure if it only has support of 5% of its members.

Unless the PA intends to fight to get rid of the revenue sharing arrangement this makes no sense. And if that is the plan, be prepared for no hockey in 2026-2027 or perhaps for longer.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I agree that all the players are fighting for their share of the 50% of league revenues that the players split among themselves.

Then perhaps the "setting the tone" talk is coming from the agents?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I agree that all the players are fighting for their share of the 50% of league revenues that the players split among themselves.

Then perhaps the "setting the tone" talk is coming from the agents?
It could be the agents but it still is bad advice that the players should be smart enough not to follow. If they are telling the players that going for the most they can get helps others then they are simply lying to their clients.

You would think by now that the players would have some understanding of how things work. But maybe not. We heard lot of crazy things from guys like Toews that showed he did not have a clue what the purpose of escrow was for instance.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
That’s BS, as the cap goes up it’s going to be common to have multiple 10+ mil contracts on the books. Before this year it was “ no team has won with a 10 mil cap hit” now its “no team has won with a cap hit more than 10 mil” next year it will be “ no team has won with 2 cap hits of more than 10 mil”

It doesn’t happen until it does. I put no stock into historical trivialities like this.
Actually Mathew Tkachuk made 11.25 last season. I know his cap hit was only 9 million but he did in fact earn over 10 million and unfortunately won the cup.
People should really read the article. The percentage stuff is there important part, not the $10 M stuff. It's almost like people only read the headline and don't read the article.

Yup, it makes no sense whatsoever. The players all pull from the same pot, it's the very definition of a zero sum game. Players aren't that smart, by and large, so maybe they don't understand this? Swayman talking big about "understanding the business side" but then saying that follow-up is pretty funny actually to be honest. Players should want every other player in the league to take as little money as possible, therefore increasing the odds of more money being available for their own negotiation. It's beyond crazy to me that people don't understand how straight forward the situation is, but here we are.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
One thing to remember is that this contract is about more than the AAV. Even if they agreed on that there are still significant details to work out. How much do you front load? How much of the contract comes from signing bonuses? With a massive deal these things can mean a lot.
I would say there is about a 0% chance we don’t see a lockout after the 25/26 season which means Leon would be 1 season into this deal at that time. So I’m betting the delay is around how the deal is structured.

I’m betting the PA is telling it’s members to be prepared for a fight and for the likelihood of a long lockout.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
People should really read the article. The percentage stuff is there important part, not the $10 M stuff. It's almost like people only read the headline and don't read the article.

This -never- happens….:sarcasm:

I would say there is about a 0% chance we don’t see a lockout after the 25/26 season which means Leon would be 1 season into this deal at that time. So I’m betting the delay is around how the deal is structured.

I’m betting the PA is telling it’s members to be prepared for a fight and for the likelihood of a long lockout.

That happens again, I am done with the NHL.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
its not a zero sum game though.

If the owners could away paying players less they would.

If Drai takes 12 mil it doesn't mean that Connor brown gets more. It means Connor brown still gets 1mil and the owner doesn't spend the rest.

The players working in their financial interest to get as much possible keeps the owners honest and the owners not wanting to spend everything keeps the players honest. If players start taking less on mass in the hopes the owners spread the wealth...they won't. It would go to profits instead. The CBA creates the battle ground for all this happen in the interest of keeping every team viable.

Also the cap isn't a stable thing, or static. What's good one year might not be good the next year and as a player you need to fight for your bag above all else.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
its not a zero sum game though.

If the owners could away paying players less they would.

If Drai takes 12 mil it doesn't mean that Connor brown gets more. It means Connor brown still gets 1mil and the owner doesn't spend the rest.

The players working in their financial interest to get as much possible keeps the owners honest and the owners not wanting to spend everything keeps the players honest. If players start taking less on mass in the hopes the owners spread the wealth...they won't. It would go to profits instead. The CBA creates the battle ground for all this happen in the interest of keeping every team viable.

Also the cap isn't a stable thing, or static. What's good one year might not be good the next year and as a player you need to fight for your bag above all else.
In fact the bolded is wrong. If Draisaitl takes $1 less a small portion of that goes into Brown's pocket. If he takes $1M less then Brown takes home several hundred more.

The owners are paying 50% of the revenues to the players. From there it all comes down to what share of that pot everyone gets.

Reactions: oilers'72 and AM

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This way he can quote himself either way and be right. Genius!

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
That’s just allows them to fell good about themselves taking the fans to the woodshed. And yes, it’s not the billionaires who will pay for inflated contracts it’s the fans.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That’s just allows them to fell good about themselves taking the fans to the woodshed. And yes, it’s not the billionaires who will pay for inflated contracts it’s the fans.
It's about standing up for what you're worth

And yes there is an ongoing battle between players and owners. Precedents matter and affect the future of collective bargaining.

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
This is a job and these people are some of the best in the world at doing it. Wouldn't you want to be paid everything your worth in your area of employment?

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
This is a job and these people are some of the best in the world at doing it. Wouldn't you want to be paid everything your worth in your area of employment?
Money isn't everything. Like most have said when you make as much as most of these guys, what can you do with 12 million that you can't do with say 10 million. Or so go on a bigger scale 100 million vs 90????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad