Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
For the people who want a team with no stars and want to go back to the pre-McDavid days, you'll get your chance at that again one day and you had a good 20+ years of that before hand.

So as far I'm concerned for now ... you can sit down and shut the f*** up. Enjoy a Cup contending team if you want, or not. Up to you.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
For the people who want a team with no stars and want to go back to the pre-McDavid days, you'll get your chance at that again one day and you had a good 20+ years of that before hand.

So as far I'm concerned for now ... you can sit down and shut the f*** up. Enjoy a Cup contending team if you want, or not. Up to you.
Another guy who wants to sign a check and hand it to Leon, " fill in any amount you want Leon"

bullshit protector activated
What's your max amount yo pay him then?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It is settled. A good player but a McD coat rider. He is in the pack of 10-12 mil players. Always injured when it counts. He is a 2C on our team, a very good one but not worth to be the most paid player as he is aging. Period. This is why the case is closed.
Settled in your own mind. He won the Hart when McDavid was recovering from his knee injury, prior to him getting hurt against Vancouver he had more playoff points than McDavid. This is a guy that when the games matter shows up in a big way. This isn't a Matthews or Marner type player. Yes he'll likely be overpaid the last 2-3 years of an 8 year deal. If we win cups because the AAV stayed down and he retired here I think we can live with that.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Another guy who wants to sign a check and hand it to Leon, " fill in any amount you want Leon"

What's your max amount yo pay him then?
I have an amount I'd like to see Draisaitl receive but I have no control over that. What the f*** difference does it make what I say the max amount would be?

If Draisaitl leaves I will no longer have any interest in following the NHL.

You're not convincing anyone that moving Draisaitl for a crap return, and that's what you'll get no matter how anyone tries to sugar coat it, is a good idea.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
I have an amount I'd like to see Draisaitl receive but I have no control over that. What the f*** difference does it make what I say the max amount would be?

If Draisaitl leaves I will no longer have any interest in following the NHL.

You're not convincing anyone that moving Draisaitl for a crap return, and that's what you'll get no matter how anyone tries to sugar coat it, is a good idea.
I don't want to trade him but if his ask is more than 14.5, I don't think he wants to stay anyway. It is unrealistic number.
A one for one trade may not be a win but throw in Ceci ( for example) and get back a real good center and real good RHD. And you can compensate for the loss.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I don't want to trade him but if his ask is more than 14.5, I don't think he wants to stay anyway. It is unrealistic number
I'm thinking they will end up with 13.5-13.8 personally. I'm hoping for 13.5, but I wouldn't begrudge him the latter either. He wants to win, and he wants to win here. He knows that to have that opportunity for as many possible years to come, that he just can't go past a certain point (even if he's worth it, or would get it on the open market). Him and Connor both know how this needs to work, and they know their value. The team knows this too, and I'm confident that yes they could just give an open cheque (and they would). Connor, Drai and the team are on the same page though, and know that it will take team friendly deals in order to win. A bunch of supportive players have now done this over FA, and before that with Nuge and Kane's deals. This team is committed to winning with this window. Players are coming here on team friendly deals for the culture and opportunity, and I can't see the leadership not doing the same.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don't want to trade him but if his ask is more than 14.5, I don't think he wants to stay anyway. It is unrealistic number.
A one for one trade may not be a win but throw in Ceci ( for example) and get back a real good center and real good RHD. And you can compensate for the loss.
Where did that get Calgary and Tkachuk isn't half the player Draisaitl is.

If Draisaitl goes, for whatever reason, I won't be following the next decade of darkness. You can do whatever the f*** you want.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Not gonna lie, I thought this would be a done deal by now. Still plenty of time to get something done before training camp starts. Otherwise it will become a bit of a distraction during the season

Reactions: SavoieSeason

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Settled in your own mind. He won the Hart when McDavid was recovering from his knee injury, prior to him getting hurt against Vancouver he had more playoff points than McDavid. This is a guy that when the games matter shows up in a big way. This isn't a Matthews or Marner type player. Yes he'll likely be overpaid the last 2-3 years of an 8 year deal. If we win cups because the AAV stayed down and he retired here I think we can live with that.
Just to add, he’s been underpaid a few years at 8.5 if he’s overpaid the last few years on his new contract it all evens out anyway.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Where did that get Calgary and Tkachuk isn't half the player Draisaitl is.

If Draisaitl goes, for whatever reason, I won't be following the next decade of darkness. You can do whatever the f*** you want.
You do you. The decade of darkness will be here soon enough either way.
Ps, we are not Calgary.

TheGingaNinja

Edmonton Ex-Pat who still loves his hometown team.
Sep 26, 2019
Not sure but some on here make it sound like that would be ok. Same people believe we would be screwed without them, no matter what we could get back in a trade.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a trade we would win in trading Drai. It would be complicated, messy and I can almost promise you we would be disappointed by the return.

Let's just sign the guy (I'm with most here that it will be around the 13.5 mark) and enjoy having him dominate on our team instead of someone else's.

thesandman77

Oct 10, 2022
I think you would be hard pressed to find a trade we would win in trading Drai. It would be complicated, messy and I can almost promise you we would be disappointed by the return.

Let's just sign the guy (I'm with most here that it will be around the 13.5 mark) and enjoy having him dominate on our team instead of someone else's.
Bravo

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
One of the most funniest posts I have ever read.

So there is a reason Leon always get put back with McDavid. He's not even good enough to carry a line.

Great shot, good passer, that's it.

His very average speed goes to slow, real quick, at 30. Plus, he's a baby when things don't go well.

Jagr......hahahahha. too funny, you need a punch
Jagr : "not even good enough to carry" Bondra & Oats in Washington!

Jags is a legend, GOATed, etc... BUT Bro was out there with:

Pens - Lemiuex & Francis or Lemiuex & Stevens
Caps - Bondra & Oats
Rags - Nylander & Straka
Flyers - Giroux & Hartnell
Cats - Hubby &/or Barkov

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Not one of my best posts, was getting chippy. Drai is a star. Some more news as others have posted even though it is a rumor for now. Asking for 14.5 then setting for the 13's isn't a discount though. Being the highest paid player isn't a discount. Already explained why I HOPE Drai signs for less, it's wishful thinking but one can dream. Kuch signed his deal a couple of years ago and he is a star player, every year at the top of the leaders and he makes 9.5 mil. His contract ends in the early 30's. Kuch had a huge friendly contract before that. To me this is a safer bet.

But yep, it's Florida, where there are low taxes and sunny skies. Edmonton, not so much. That's the part of the contract I don;t like and we agree on. I would say Drai will be good for half of his contract, the other half there will be a decline. You are not getting Drai's best years long term. This is my contention with the numbers thrown around but it is what it is. JJ is a good negotiator, from what I've seen from SB, not so much.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Not one of my best posts, was getting chippy. Drai is a star. Some more news as others have posted even though it is a rumor for now. Asking for 14.5 then setting for the 13's isn't a discount though. Being the highest paid player isn't a discount. Already explained why I HOPE Drai signs for less, it's wishful thinking but one can dream. Kuch signed his deal a couple of years ago and he is a star player, every year at the top of the leaders and he makes 9.5 mil. His contract ends in the early 30's. Kuch had a huge friendly contract before that. To me this is a safer bet.

But yep, it's Florida, where there are low taxes and sunny skies. Edmonton, not so much. That's the part of the contract I don;t like and we agree on. I would say Drai will be good for half of his contract, the other half there will be a decline. You are not getting Drai's best years long term. This is my contention with the numbers thrown around but it is what it is. JJ is a good negotiator, from what I've seen from SB, not so much.
Oilers so hard done by having a great team featuring the two best players in the league that went to game 7 of the finals and got notably better in the offseason.

What the hell do you suggest? Why are you even posting if not to troll?

I suspect you do but if you don't, why not follow another team? What are you going to do if the Oilers win multiple cups, jump off a cliff...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Kucherov signed that deal 6 years ago as an RFA in the summer of 2018 after breaking 100 points for the first time. Draisailt was making $8.5M for the whole of that deal. That contract is almost irrelevant in discussing Draisaitl's extension. But if you want to use it it is actually far more in support of Draisaitl's rumoured contract than in opposition.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Oilers so hard done by having a great team featuring the two best players in the league that went to game 7 of the finals and got notably better in the offseason.

What the hell do you suggest? Why are you even posting if not to troll?

I suspect you do but if you don't, why not follow another team? What are you going to do if the Oilers win multiple cups, jump off a cliff...
Made some suggestions and we discussed the % of the cap for teams that have won. Think this is the 2nd time I'm being told I'm trolling. It looks like we will have 4 players over 50% of the cap in 2 years.

Not going to be captain obvious, very difficult to win a cup or to make it to the finals again. We look great on paper, not a fan of Broberg playing on his off side. Be nice to upgrade on Ceci and have Broberg play on the left where he should be.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Kucherov signed that deal 6 years ago as an RFA in the summer of 2018 after breaking 100 points for the first time. Draisailt was making $8.5M for the whole of that deal. That contract is almost irrelevant in discussing Draisaitl's extension. But if you want to use it it is actually far more in support of Draisaitl's rumoured contract than in opposition.
You're right, he did not sign a couple years ago. Already mentioned Reinhart, plenty of other guys like Panarin, Schiefele, Larkin, Pasta, etc. All recent signings. That's fine most fans think Drai is better than those guys, but the gap is huge if the projected numbers are correct.

It is what it is, see what happens. No use beating a dead horse.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Best thing we could do is let him play out his contract. He will have a good year due to being motivated (just like Nurse on his contract year).

A long term contract for Drai will be just like Nurse. The minute he signs it, it's a major liability.

I'm not sure I have a better solution to build a team. I just know that it will kill us, like the endless other big contracts, for older players.
This makes no sense whatsoever.

You're comparing a borderline generational talent, surefire top 5 probably more like top 3 player in the league over the last 5 years to Darnell f***ing Nurse. What are we even talking about here?

And before all this decline talk that I know you will use for your argument.... I'll take a declined 41 goal, 105 point player and 10 goals, 31 points in 25 game playoff performer playing with severe injury in the latter part of the playoffs any day.

He'll be 30 when the contract kicks in, he won't be THAT old. There's tons of examples of great players playing well (especially nowadays) deep into their 30s so I don't think Draisaitl who doesn't depend heavily on physical traits anyway will see too steep of a decline into his mid 30s. The latter part of the contract could be a problem but who gives a shit about 6-7 years down the line, their Cup contention window is now and the next 4-5 years or so hopefully. You need players like Draisaitl to keep that a CUP contention window. If he wants out that's another story and you need to cut your losses but that seems rather unlikely.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta