Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
What part of McDavid wasn't even playing did you misunderstand? So how could Mcd get the top line comp if he was in the press box?
Don't you remember, all opponents sent their top players to eat pop corn with McDavid when he was injured. Weirdest thing. Got a lot of media at the time, surprised you forgot about it. Clearly every fan of every other NHL team remembers it vividly. And some Oiler fans who think Draisaitl is overrated.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You'd be wrong with your comparisons lol, and what's with the constant comparison to Hall? Drai is better than Hall ever was at his best.

As far as the awards part, that was not my point of mentioning it but to point out how good of a player he actually is. How is it that actual players in the league recognize this, but you somehow definitely know better from your couch?
This dude is trolling. Make no mistake

Keeps saying Drai is a product of McDavid. Keeps mentioning Hall,

Ignores that when McDavid was out for a season that the Draisait/Hall line almost single handily dragged this team to the playoffs. That team was paper thin on talent and if not for a late Klefbom injury, they could have made the playoffs

Years later Drai did that again with RNH and Yamo who were the best line in the NHL for months while McDavid was in the pressbox

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
This dude is trolling. Make no mistake

Keeps saying Drai is a product of McDavid. Keeps mentioning Hall,

Ignores that when McDavid was out for a season that the Draisait/Hall line almost single handily dragged this team to the playoffs. That team was paper thin on talent and if not for a late Klefbom injury, they could have made the playoffs

Years later Drai did that again with RNH and Yamo who were the best line in the NHL for months while McDavid was in the pressbox
Trolling? Ok.

I mentioned Hall because he won an MVP like Drai did. As someone was posting about Drai's trophies/points and what one player gets paid vs the other.

There's no points for second best as we saw last June and almost isn't good enough. You guys think I'm trying to lessen Drai's impact/value. This is not the case. He is a superstar and like other superstars making quite a bit less, they would get a bump playing with McD too. The line of Drai/Nuge/Yammo had a great stint, no doubt but was tried again and the results were poor.

Drai is getting older, not younger by the time he signs his deal. This and playing with his buddy McD for life and having a competitive team for life, then you take a bit less to make that happen. He gets endorsements, etc so this is not the only form of income and it can be made to work. Plenty of buddies play together but due to business reasons go elsewhere or get traded.

Both Mcd/Drai will have great wingers this upcoming season, hopefully Ard and Skinner stay healthy and we should be the cream of the crop. This is before all these expensive deals come in.

Last edited:

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Why? It certainly won't be 8 years from now.
Ok, lets change it up. What percentage of the cap should he be paid at when he is 35. He signed his last contract at 11.33%
ps. Leon will be 30 when his new contract starts so 6 years from now.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Trolling? Ok.

I mentioned Hall because he won an MVP like Drai did. As someone was posting about Drai's trophies/points and what one player gets paid vs the other.

There's no points for second best as we saw last June and almost isn't good enough. You guys think I'm trying to lessen Drai's impact/value. This is not the case. He is a superstar and like other superstars making quite a bit less, they would get a bump playing with McD too. The line of Drai/Nuge/Yammo had a great stint, no doubt but was tried again and the results were poor.

Drai is getting older, not younger by the time he signs his deal. This and playing with his buddy McD for life and having a competitive team for life, then you take a bit less to make that happen. He gets endorsements, etc so this is not the only form of income and it can be made to work. Plenty of buddies play together but due to business reasons go elsewhere or get traded.

Both Mcd/Drai will have great wingers this upcoming season, hopefully Ard and Skinner stay healthy and we should be the cream of the crop. This is before all these expensive deals come in.
Since 2005 we have seen several "resets" in what top players get paid. These typically happen when a small group of top players hit free agency. These rests are typically fairly large in times when the cap is increasing rapidly. We are very likely entering a new reset and with a potential for the cap to increase substantially it could be a big jump. If you want evidence of this look at the contracts we are seeing for players like Brock Faber who just signed an 8 x $8.5M and Guhle who just signed for 6 years at $5.5M.

If Draisaitl signs for 8 years you won't be able to use older deals straight up. They have to be taken in context of the expected higher cap and the expectation for it to increase rapidly or slowly at the time of the signing. Pasta's deal for example would convert to about $12.6M in equal money dollars, but it was also signed at a time where the cap was not only extremely tight but also where revenues were still more in question. Pasta was younger but if you see them as equivalent players that deal would probably suggest $12.5-13M for Leon. But regardless of the McDavid debate, there is no way to argue the Leon has not done more. So on a "fair" deal the comparable would see $13M as the absolute floor.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Ok, lets change it up. What percentage of the cap should he be paid at when he is 35. He signed his last contract at 11.33%
ps. Leon will be 30 when his new contract starts so 6 years from now.
Well once again, what do you think the cap will be at that point? I'm thinking he signs for between 13-14 million. Pretty broad number range, and they expect the cap to be 87.7 for the 24/25 season.
Let's say 13.5 to make it easy, which makes it about 15.4% if it kicked in next year. It won't though, so the % will actually be less than that. 6 years from now, that cap hit will most likely be less than 10% (fair IMO), and I think he'd still be worth it.

Since 2005 we have seen several "resets" in what top players get paid. These typically happen when a small group of top players hit free agency. These rests are typically fairly large in times when the cap is increasing rapidly. We are very likely entering a new reset and with a potential for the cap to increase substantially it could be a big jump. If you want evidence of this look at the contracts we are seeing for players like Brock Faber who just signed an 8 x $8.5M and Guhle who just signed for 6 years at $5.5M.

If Draisaitl signs for 8 years you won't be able to use older deals straight up. They have to be taken in context of the expected higher cap and the expectation for it to increase rapidly or slowly at the time of the signing. Pasta's deal for example would convert to about $12.6M in equal money dollars, but it was also signed at a time where the cap was not only extremely tight but also where revenues were still more in question. Pasta was younger but if you see them as equivalent players that deal would probably suggest $12.5-13M for Leon. But regardless of the McDavid debate, there is no way to argue the Leon has not done more. So on a "fair" deal the comparable would see $13M as the absolute floor.
Excellent post.

Reactions: McDoused

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
What part of McDavid wasn't even playing did you misunderstand? So how could Mcd get the top line comp if he was in the press box?
My opinion. Yes, I get one too.

Mcdavid was very rarely not playing. McDavid missed 4 games last year zero the year before. (Pretty sure). When McDavid was hurt way back mcdrai were stat hunting.
Not enough to judge.

I agree Draisaitl would be a very good first line player on near any team. Not the second best player in the league.

Regardless mcdavid affected his stats and his play by a lot. Not just a complimentary player lots but McDavid lots.

I dont see cap going way up.
100 million for 8 years tops.
Anything more is McDavid affecting his wage. Not just complimentary player affecting but McDavid affecting.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
My opinion. Yes, I get one too.

Mcdavid was very rarely not playing. McDavid missed 4 games last year zero the year before. (Pretty sure). When McDavid was hurt way back mcdrai were stat hunting.
Not enough to judge.

I agree Draisaitl would be a very good first line player on near any team. Not the second best player in the league.

Regardless mcdavid affected his stats and his play by a lot. Not just a complimentary player lots but McDavid lots.

I dont see cap going way up.
100 million for 8 years tops.
Anything more is McDavid affecting his wage. Not just complimentary player affecting but McDavid affecting.
Well that’s not happening because he would fetch way more in free agency.

So you are saying they should let drai walk? Talk about McDavid affecting.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I think this is something that gets overlooked, when fans try and argue that Draisaitl should sign at a lower amount.

If you arent willing to pay Draisaitl as a top 5-10 player in this league he will simply go elsewhere. Trying to squeeze your superstairs a recipe for failure.

Reactions: grego

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020

I cannot think of a contending team that can afford having both Leon and Connor atm.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I cannot think of a contending team that can afford having both Leon and Connor atm.
I can't think of a team in Canada that can win a Cup without Draisaitl and McDavid.

Did you not see the team friendly discounts from Skinner, Arvidsson, Nuge, Hyman and Henrique? They brought the entire third line back and two top six wingers. All on attractive deals.

Last edited:
Reactions: McBooya42

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
I can't think of a team in Canada that can win a Cup without Draisaitl and McDavid.

Did you not see the team friendly discounts from Skinner, Arvidsson, Nuge, Hyman and Henrique? They brought the entire third line back and two top six wingers. All on attractive deals.
Have not won a cup with them so far either. A couple teams have come just as close as we did ( including us in 2006).

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Have not won a cup with them so far either. A couple teams have come just as close as we did ( including us in 2006).
That's right, it's getting embarrassing for the league. But the Oilers are by far Canada's best chance to bring home Stanley. They have an outstandingly deep team and they have Draisaitl and McDavid.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Rumour has it they want to play together. Leon one year, Connor the next
I have zero doubt. I firmly believe that McDavid is like Crosby and wants to stay commited to his team for his career if possible (something he's probably discussed with Wayne at some point). I think Drai is the same too.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It's remarkable. Some posters are so kind they would not have you suffer following a team with both Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl on it. Why have them centering the top two lines when you could replace them with other players making less, but nowhere close talentwise in comparison. We'd be better off for it, because they say so... nevermind the absolute uniqueness of having the two best players in the world on the same team. Now that's a special type of friendliness.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
It's remarkable. Some posters are so kind they would not have you suffer following a team with both Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl on it. Why have them centering the top two lines when you could replace them with other players making less, but nowhere close talentwise in comparison. We'd be better off for it, because they say so... nevermind the absolute uniqueness of having the two best players in the world on the same team. Now that's a special type of friendliness.
I would not give them a blank check.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Not sure but some on here make it sound like that would be ok. Same people believe we would be screwed without them, no matter what we could get back in a trade.
Who made it sound that way?

I'll save you some time on the second part. I say we would be screwed no matter who we would get back in a trade. 100% f***ed. So much so I'd stop following the NHL completely if they did make that type of absolute loser transaction.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Who made it sound that way?

I'll save you some time on the second part. I say we would be screwed no matter who we would get back in a trade. 100% f***ed. So much so I'd stop following the NHL completely if they did make that type of absolute loser transaction.
Well, you just made it sound that way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad