Leon Draisaitl is one of the best playoff performers in NHL history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
McDavid and Draisaitl don't touch the top until they win a cup. Talent wise yes, but results in the playoffs are what really matters.
I don't buy this. As the league expands and the salary cap affects rosters some really good to great players are never going to win the cup. It doesn't affect their individual talents or spots in the all time lists IMO.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
He is 4th all time for points in a play off series. 17
So he's in the conversation.

Several guys trying to throw shade on Draisaitl.
Reminds of the guys that were always slagging Gretz, Then Mario, then Sid, .....

then were made to eat their words.

Me included...... on Gretz.
Thought he was too much a light weight and wouldnt last.

I may Gibraltar him and McDavid shade a lot.

Draisaitl is the best playoff performer who has not won a cup currently in this league.

Nobody else comes close

I don't buy this. As the league expands and the salary cap affects rosters some really good to great players are never going to win the cup. It doesn't affect their individual talents or spots in the all time lists IMO.
You have to win one once being one of the best players.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Sometimes it's who you surround yourself with.

Gretz couldn't win a cup without 19 HOFers. Neither could Hasek.
Charles Barkley never won a championship and it pushes him down all time

Gretzky won 4 times before

Winning especially in these leagues there is luck but part of that is being good is being lucky and putting yourself in that chance to succeed.

1 Chip changes the legacy. Draisaitl may will the Oilers to a cup. Still impressed by his one legged game play that one playoff run.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You have to win one once being one of the best players.
So lets say McDavid/Drai doesn't win a cup until his last season as a hockey player before retirement and by this point he is a merc signing 1 year contracts and hardly putting up 70-80 points a year. He wins a cup that last year and hes suddenly among the greats? and if he doesn't he isn't?

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Yes, it does. Crosby would get knocked down a few pegs without his two Conn Smythes and 3 cups.

Reactions: sanscosm

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
The cup is a team accomplishment.
Yes, and players are part of the team. That the cup doesn't matter to a player's legacy is utterly nonsensical.
Also the player does t decide his legacy. It doesn’t matter what they think.
You have players in the twilight of their careers chasing a cup by joining elite teams they barely contribute to, just so they can add a Stanley Cup to their resume. You also have players like Marcel Dionne whose legacy have been majorly impacted due to their lack of cup or playoff success.

Not sure if you're trying to preemptively defend McDavid here but his legacy and placement will without a doubt take a hit if he never wins a cup, and a big one at that.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Basketball comparisons are really weak here as it's literally a 5 on 5 game, there are many more pieces involved in a sC run.

Winning especially in these leagues there is luck but part of that is being good is being lucky and putting yourself in that chance to succeed.

1 Chip changes the legacy. Draisaitl may will the Oilers to a cup. Still impressed by his one legged game play that one playoff run.
Sadly this is true for most people as the lazy narrative of "well only the best players win" is used instead of the best teams win.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
He doesn't play a lick of defense. Imagine if the other stars around the league completely abandoned the 2nd half of the ice and cherry picked for 2 on 1's all game long what their production would look like. Now imagine they also had McDavid feeding them on the PP (in which they draw top of the league in PP opportunities). Then all he has to do is let the goalie and coach be the scapegoat.

He is obviously an incredible player. I enjoy watching him a lot, and especially love watching him on the PP and how he can score on the slimmest angles. But if you watch him it is obvious why the team has never won anything in the postseason..
This is embarrassing, even for you.

Good grief

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
So lets say McDavid/Drai doesn't win a cup until his last season as a hockey player before retirement and by this point he is a merc signing 1 year contracts and hardly putting up 70-80 points a year. He wins a cup that last year and hes suddenly among the greats? and if he doesn't he isn't?

Winning one does wonders for your legacy. However I am of the belief that you should be winning one by being one of the top contributors.
Draisaitl and McDavid I Imagine have 7 to 10 years left possibly more on being one. But if Draisailt played till 44 and had a 15 goal 25 assist season then 4 goals 4 assists in the playoffs making 1 million I wouldn't consider him a top contributor.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Drai had a pretty bad regular season. Playoffs hit and he flicked the switch, He looks like a top 3 forward in the league again.

Absolute animal out there dragging the Oilers through the playoffs.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
He doesn't play a lick of defense. Imagine if the other stars around the league completely abandoned the 2nd half of the ice and cherry picked for 2 on 1's all game long what their production would look like. Now imagine they also had McDavid feeding them on the PP (in which they draw top of the league in PP opportunities). Then all he has to do is let the goalie and coach be the scapegoat.

He is obviously an incredible player. I enjoy watching him a lot, and especially love watching him on the PP and how he can score on the slimmest angles. But if you watch him it is obvious why the team has never won anything in the postseason..
Starting to think you've never watched a drai playoff game

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Winning one does wonders for your legacy. However I am of the belief that you should be winning one by being one of the top contributors.
Draisaitl and McDavid I Imagine have 7 to 10 years left possibly more on being one. But if Draisailt played till 44 and had a 15 goal 25 assist season then 4 goals 4 assists in the playoffs making 1 million I wouldn't consider him a top contributor.
well that's my point that someone at the end of there career winning a cup doesn't make a legacy better. Especially a McDrai.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I think this point your making may actually prove the opposite. Charles Barkley was so good that I actually forgot he hadn't won a championship. I'd just assumed he had, such was the weight of his skill in my mind.

Still, I won't begrudge you for having a different opinion on what makes a player one of the top all-time. If championships are that heavy in your weighting, that's for your to decide. For me they're a team thing, not an individual thing, so our all-time lists probably differ slightly. That's fine, in fact difference of opinion is the only thing that makes such a discussion interesting.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
well that's my point that someone at the end of there career winning a cup doesn't make a legacy better. Especially a McDrai.
Awesome glad it proves your point.

My point has always been being a big part of the team and a main contributor and winning the cup.

Winning a cup Is important and it's more important if you win it as one of the core guys

I think this point your making may actually prove the opposite. Charles Barkley was so good that I actually forgot he hadn't won a championship. I'd just assumed he had, such was the weight of his skill in my mind.

Still, I won't begrudge you for having a different opinion on what makes a player one of the top all-time. If championships are that heavy in your weighting, that's for your to decide. For me they're a team thing, not an individual thing, so our all-time lists probably differ slightly. That's fine, in fact difference of opinion is the only thing that makes such a discussion interesting.

It's brought up all the time and a major knock on him and pushes him back on the all time lists.

I don't think you need to win 4 times but I do believe Ovechkin winning his in 2018 was major. Now I would debate the Conn Smythe win but he was a major contributor regardless and I get it give it to the superstar.

We can agree to disagree but I do hold winning one as a major contributor as a big part of a players legacy and all time rankings.

Reactions: sanscosm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad