Leon Draisaitl is one of the best playoff performers in NHL history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think most people who say stuff like "no defence" hasn't watched him since 2017
No they don't watch at all and never have.

I work with a bunch of these guys. The games start way too late, and they're not a fan anyways, so why would they watch? They go off the lazy narrative that every offensive player is horrible defensively.

And every forward in the 40-65 point range is amazing defensively.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Awesome glad it proves your point.

My point has always been being a big part of the team and a main contributor and winning the cup.

Winning a cup Is important and it's more important if you win it as one of the core guys

It's brought up all the time and a major knock on him and pushes him back on the all time lists.

I don't think you need to win 4 times but I do believe Ovechkin winning his in 2018 was major. Now I would debate the Conn Smythe win but he was a major contributor regardless and I get it give it to the superstar.

We can agree to disagree but I do hold winning one as a major contributor as a big part of a players legacy and all time rankings.
I’m chiming in late here so not sure if this has been discussed, but I would argue that winning a Cup doesn’t matter to someone’s legacy as much as it used to since it is harder now than ever to win a Cup, with 32 teams in the league.

I can’t help but feel like it counts for something though (fair or not), as much as it is a team award.

Reactions: Jean Ralphio

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Here is the Eastern Markets take on terrible Defensive players:

These guys are all horrible defensively:
1716477621159.png

Here is the Eastern Markets take on AMAZING Defensive players:
Amazing Defensive Players:
1716477813735.png

So simple narrative is:

100+ points = horrible defensively
60-ish point = Amazing defensively

And not a single game has ever been watched by any of them.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
No they don't watch at all and never have.

I work with a bunch of these guys. The games start way too late, and they're not a fan anyways, so why would they watch? They go off the lazy narrative that every offensive player is horrible defensively.

And every forward in the 40-65 point range is amazing defensively.
Honestly, as an Oilers fan, I can totally see where people are coming from regarding Draisaitl’s defensive game. He certainly steps it up in the playoffs, but in the regular season he leaves a lot to be desired. He often looks disinterested defensively and is very undisciplined.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I’m chiming in late here so not sure if this has been discussed, but I would argue that winning a Cup doesn’t matter to someone’s legacy as much as it used to since it is harder now than ever to win a Cup, with 32 teams in the league.

I can’t help but feel like it counts for something though (fair or not), as much as it is a team award.

It's basically an opinion thing.

If you want to be considered amongst the best you need to win as one of the best.

Now I wouldn't put Draisaitl below Guentzel just because he won a cup already. That's ridiculous. But when comparing to peers let's say McKinnon that would be a consideration for me.

I think about how I played football (soccer) and in 4 years we won twice. I wouldn't trade one of those wins for let's say leading the league in goals during the regular season.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Honestly, as an Oilers fan, I can totally see where people are coming from regarding Draisaitl’s defensive game. He certainly steps it up in the playoffs, but in the regular season he leaves a lot to be desired. He often looks disinterested defensively and is very undisciplined.

And without ever having watched a single game from any other player who is top-10 in scoring.

They are all just as bad defensively.

See how easy that is?

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
And without ever having watched a single game from any other player who is top-10 in scoring.

They are all just as bad defensively.

See how easy that is?
I only really watch the Oilers and Jets so can’t really comment on players on other teams. But I would say that McDavid has been much better than Draisaitl defensively over the last couple of years. Draisaitl is just a little bit lazy.

But as I said, he steps it up in the playoffs, and that’s all that matters right now.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I only really watch the Oilers and Jets so can’t really comment on players on other teams. But I would say that McDavid has been much better than Draisaitl defensively over the last couple of years. Draisaitl is just a little bit lazy.

But as I said, he steps it up in the playoffs, and that’s all that matters right now.

I agree with this.

McDavid in a regular game is gonna back check and puck hound like crazy. He's more consistent defensively.

Draisaitl can be a little be lazy (often tired) on the back check and conserves his energy to allow 30 min a night games.

However when Draisaitl is "ON" and McDavid is "ON", ie in all playoff games... Draisaitl is miles ahead of McDavid defensively (he just reads the defensive game better) AND honestly is one of the better defensive forwards IN THE GAME... and I live in Boston, my second team, so I do know what defensive forwards actually look like. ;)

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Awesome glad it proves your point.

My point has always been being a big part of the team and a main contributor and winning the cup.

Winning a cup Is important and it's more important if you win it as one of the core guys

It's brought up all the time and a major knock on him and pushes him back on the all time lists.

I don't think you need to win 4 times but I do believe Ovechkin winning his in 2018 was major. Now I would debate the Conn Smythe win but he was a major contributor regardless and I get it give it to the superstar.

We can agree to disagree but I do hold winning one as a major contributor as a big part of a players legacy and all time rankings.
Is Ovechkin only worthy of being arguably the best goal scorer in hockey history because he won a Cup, or because he won 9 Rocket Richards? Would losing in the Cup finals because his goalie sucked one game, and missing the Conn Smythe as a result, really change how great of a goal scorer he was? Or even how good he was in that playoff? He's exactly the same guy/player in both situations, so why does the Cup win matter?

Where would you rank Ray Bourque had he not been an 11th-hour Av? Does the Cup he didn't have to carry his team to really weigh that heavily in his legacy of 5 Norris trophies?

*edit* To be clear, I think playoff success is important, but it's also situational. It depends on the player and what their claim to fame is. Claude Lemieux would not be as well known if not for his '95 playoff scoring and Cup win.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Is Ovechkin only worthy of being arguably the best goal scorer in hockey history because he won a Cup, or because he won 9 Rocket Richards? Would losing in the Cup finals because his goalie sucked one game, and missing the Conn Smythe as a result, really change how great of a goal scorer he was? Or even how good he was in that playoff? He's exactly the same guy/player in both situations, so why does the Cup win matter?

Where would you rank Ray Bourque had he not been an 11th-hour Av? Does the Cup he didn't have to carry his team to really weigh that heavily in his legacy of 5 Norris trophies?

*edit* To be clear, I think playoff success is important, but it's also situational. It depends on the player and what their claim to fame is. Claude Lemieux would not be as well known if not for his '95 playoff scoring and Cup win.
I will just touch on Ovechkin.

Would he be considered the best or among the best goal scorers ever without a cup. Yes.
Would his all time standing be changed without the cup and performance attached to the cup. Also yes.

A cup win when you are the one of the important pieces is legacy changing and changes how you are ranked all time.

Joe Thornton never won. Guess what docked on the all time.

We have a difference of opinion mentioning on what a cup win means.

I mentioned this in another post. I was on a football (soccer) team and we won twice in 4 years. Would I rather have scored the most goals in replace of a win. The answer is no.

Winning matters. The ultimate goal in the NHL is to hoist the Stanley Cup. It defines the legacy and when comparing amongst peers winning a cup 100% matters.

I don't think any further conversation will be constructive as my current understanding is you do not believe a cup win matters in the context I have laid out above. I firmly believe it does.

Reactions: pi314 and sanscosm

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California

Actually yes, Ray Bourque was not a great playoff performer. Go look at the Bill Lindsay goal, the Brad May goal, Bourque burned for goals by mediocre players. He was lucky he was able to ride on Joe Sakics coat tails.....

• Haha
Reactions: blundluntman

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I agree with this.

McDavid in a regular game is gonna back check and puck hound like crazy. He's more consistent defensively.

Draisaitl can be a little be lazy (often tired) on the back check and conserves his energy to allow 30 min a night games.

However when Draisaitl is "ON" and McDavid is "ON", ie in all playoff games... Draisaitl is miles ahead of McDavid defensively (he just reads the defensive game better) AND honestly is one of the better defensive forwards IN THE GAME... and I live in Boston, my second team, so I do know what defensive forwards actually look like. ;)
That's exactly it in the regular season. Drai has ALWAYS had a proclivity to taking long shifts and getting tired by the last 20-30 seconds and missing defensive details. In the playoffs however, that disappears and he doesn't tend to take those ridiculous extended shifts as much.

Reactions: saffronleaf

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
That's exactly it in the regular season. Drai has ALWAYS had a proclivity to taking long shifts and getting tired by the last 20-30 seconds and missing defensive details. In the playoffs however, that disappears and he doesn't tend to take those ridiculous extended shifts as much.

... and don't forget coasting to the bench on the change. He has this weird juxtaposition... he tries so hard he loses urgency. In the regular season he's like that guy working such long hours he won't go to bed and get rest... whereas in the playoffs he's high impact and then hands off to the next guy. (one more reason why I like the duo split up)

Lannes

May 5, 2024
Not winning a game past the 2nd round is not "the dumbest shit". No amount of excuses can change that fact.

You can't call someone the greatest playoff performer ever when they've never come close to playing a full playoff. You just can't. Deal with it.
This guy's taking Patrick Maroon over Draisaitl for a playoff run 😂😂😂

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
No more than most other stars. But his coach uses him in defensive situations so his underlying numbers look worse than guys who their coach doesn't use in those situations

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
No more than most other stars. But his coach uses him in defensive situations so his underlying numbers look worse than guys who their coach doesn't use in those situations
He doesn’t play on the PK. He only plays in defensive situations at even strength because he’s good at faceoffs. He’s not good defensively. He’s below average. Why are you lying to yourself?

But as I said he steps it up in the playoffs, and that’s all that matters right now.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
He doesn’t play on the PK. He only plays in defensive situations at even strength because he’s good at faceoffs. He’s not good defensively. He’s below average. Why are you lying to yourself?

But as I said he steps it up in the playoffs, and that’s all that matters right now.
Drai was 18th in league for most defensive zone faceoffs by a centreman. Weird that his coach keeps doing that if he's not good defensively

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Drai was 18th in league for most defensive zone faceoffs by a centreman. Weird that his coach keeps doing that if he's not good defensively
As I said he’s good on faceoffs so that makes sense. Plus he’s asked to play a lot of minutes. There’s only so many offensive zone start opportunities when you have McDavid on a different line.

Last edited:

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
So lets say McDavid/Drai doesn't win a cup until his last season as a hockey player before retirement and by this point he is a merc signing 1 year contracts and hardly putting up 70-80 points a year. He wins a cup that last year and hes suddenly among the greats? and if he doesn't he isn't?
If he doesn't he is stull among the greats. As is Dionne, Park, Lindros, Thorton, Bure.
The cherry on top is the Cup.
Gretz, Sid, Mess, Lafluer, Bossy, Mario

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
I will just touch on Ovechkin.

Would he be considered the best or among the best goal scorers ever without a cup. Yes.
Would his all time standing be changed without the cup and performance attached to the cup. Also yes.

A cup win when you are the one of the important pieces is legacy changing and changes how you are ranked all time.

Joe Thornton never won. Guess what docked on the all time.

We have a difference of opinion mentioning on what a cup win means.

I mentioned this in another post. I was on a football (soccer) team and we won twice in 4 years. Would I rather have scored the most goals in replace of a win. The answer is no.

Winning matters. The ultimate goal in the NHL is to hoist the Stanley Cup. It defines the legacy and when comparing amongst peers winning a cup 100% matters.

I don't think any further conversation will be constructive as my current understanding is you do not believe a cup win matters in the context I have laid out above. I firmly believe it does.

This.

The point of the game is to win.

You can put up big points and play losing 7-6 hockey.

Players standing is influenced by winning and rightfully so.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Here's a complete(*) list of players who have scored 20+ playoff points in at least three consecutive playoffs:
  1. Guy Lafleur (1977, 1978, 1979)
  2. Bryan Trottier (1980, 1981, 1982, 1983)
  3. Mike Bossy (1980, 1981, 1982, 1983)
  4. Denis Potvin (1981, 1982, 1983)
  5. Wayne Gretzky (1983, 1984, 1985)
  6. Mark Messier (1983, 1984, 1985)
  7. Jari Kurri (1983, 1984, 1985)
  8. Wayne Gretzky (1987, 1988, 1989) - a 2nd streak
  9. Sergei Fedorov (1995, 1996, 1997, 1998)
  10. Nikita Kucherov (2020, 2021, 2022)
  11. Connor McDavid (2022, 2023, 2024)
  12. Leon Draisaitl (2022, 2023, 2024)
(*) Subject to verification by God and/or pnep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad