Proposal: Leon Draisaitl For Ryan Ellis

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It'd require quite the overpayment to get Ellis, and this would be it. I can see why Edmonton wouldn't do it, however. But fair value (Eberle for Ellis) won't get it done due to our needs.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
So an established elite scorer is worth less then a non-established potentially elite player?

Other factors are considered other than just scoresheet.....I'll leave it at that and allow the lightbulb to go off.
If you discover the other factors, I'd say they outweigh Hall's abilility to score.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Draisatl won't be moved at all until Edmonton knows what they have. Draisatl was a sub-0.5 ppg player for the second half of the season after putting up insane numbers for the first half of the year. He is worth way more to Edmonton than he is to the league at this point.

At this point Ellis for Drai isn't far off, but Edmonton would be silly to sell low. All young players need to be established to really have value.

He won't be 21 until after the start of next season. A little leeway on the inconsistency maybe? He's coming along swimmingly for a 3rd overall pick in my opinion. I don't think there are many illusions about him being a solid top 6 forward at worst given pedigree and performance so far. Not spreading out his scoring across the entire season to your liking is pretty much the least important factor here.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The Oilers overpaid for Larsson because he proved he could play the toughest minutes on the top pair for NJ. An older Ellis has played soft minutes behind Weber, Josi, and Ekholm. Not someone that you overpay for with an asset like Draisaitl

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He won't be 21 until after the start of next season. A little leeway on the inconsistency maybe? He's coming along swimmingly for a 3rd overall pick in my opinion. I don't think there are many illusions about him being a solid top 6 forward at worst given pedigree and performance so far. Not spreading out his scoring across the entire season to your liking is pretty much the least important factor here.

Draisatl is pretty high up on my "Potential 1C" list, I just think some of these perceptual valuations started during the first half of last season (which was insane production) and never stopped. Nobody likes to address the fact that Draisatl only scored 19 points in his last 41 games.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Draisatl is pretty high up on my "Potential 1C" list, I just think some of these perceptual valuations started during the first half of last season (which was insane production) and never stopped. Nobody likes to address the fact that Draisatl only scored 19 points in his last 41 games.
So? You can cherry pick any players stats. If Draisaitls season went the opposite way people on here would say he racked up points in meaningless games

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

I think those would still be good totals for a 20 year old but I see your point. I would still say it was his first full season at this level so it's not much to worry about.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is kind of dubious from both sides. Nashville can't afford to lose Ellis without getting a silly overpayment, and already has a #1C. And Edmonton...

I like Ellis, but dear god no. We shouldn't need to trade Draisaitl to fill our last hole on the blueline, and if we were going to make a trade to do so, we have other assets to do it with.

We overpaid for one RD, and we had to. Now, having Larsson, it isn't nearly so crucial for us to fill that hole. We aren't bent over the barrel nearly as badly as we were a week ago, and shouldn't need to pay the "desperation rate".

...this about covers it.

* * *​
Are you sure about that? You guys are a defenseman factory! It's amazing how many quality D that you guys have pumped out over the last decade +.

Yes, we're quite sure. That may change in the next year or three, but right now there's nobody, and we were kind of hoping to try for the Cup now. :)

member 157595

This level of overpayment is absolutely not justifiable for Edmonton, and if Nashville loses Ellis they would immediately need a replacement.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
There would have to be add ons

Take out Draisaitl , add in Fayne , Ference and a 3rd.

To Edmonton
Ellis

To Nashville
Fayne
Ference
Edmonton 3rd in 2019

That's horrible. Did you forget something of actual value going to Nashville?

RNH + Fayne for Ellis + Wilson. Oilers get a great 2nd pairing defensemen on a bargain contract + Wilson for cap purposes. Nashville gets their 2C plus someone to temporarily fill the gaping hole left on their D.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
That's horrible. Did you forget something of actual value going to Nashville?

RNH + Fayne for Ellis + Wilson. Oilers get a great 2nd pairing defensemen on a bargain contract + Wilson for cap purposes. Nashville gets their 2C plus someone to temporarily fill the gaping hole left on their D.
I agree that the proposal you responded was well just stupid but I wouldnt do yours either(not calling yours stupid or even bad for that matter)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad