Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-3 in the shootout

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Lucky?

69% xGF
75% HDCF
57% CF

And Keefe gave them a handicap by putting one of the leagues best on the bench for almost half a period. Rangers could have took a nice lead in the 1st period and blew it.

This one should have been a straight forward win. We were the better team.
Yeah I'd say lucky because the Leafs gave up some prime scoring chances to the Rangers and this game could've very well been 2-3 more goals for them if Samsonov hadn't come up big in regulation and then come up even bigger in OT to give the Leafs a chance to win.

This is probably his best game of the season with how many big saves he had to make to keep his team in and not let it get away from them like it did with Vegas a few days back.

Reactions: ashs and Burnie97

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Some games shootout wins are just as sweet as a scoring the GWG. Great game all round. Never thought I'd see Reaves , Bertuzzi and Sammy playing at such high levels and I'm glad I was wrong about them. Rempe fight was a draw IMO.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I don't think any goalie is stopping that first shot. The second goal, Sammy didn't get over fast enough. Not completely his fault, but he shares some blame. The third goal deflected in, then rebounded out. I can't blame him much on that one. He makes up for the second goal by coming across and robbing the Ranger player in OT (making an even harder save than would have been needed to prevent the second goal).

I understand some of the trepidation when it comes to Samson, but his record since the reprogramming sessions has been fantastic. At worst right now, we have an average goalie who could be a great backup in the playoffs.....maybe even a starter.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Are we just cursed with D injuries this season.

I wonder what dman games lost is up to?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Our Leafs ALWAYS make it harder than it should be!

Some good saves by Samsonov all night.

If Rempe was a Leaf, and Boosh a Ranger, you know darned well that his hit would have been 5 and a game with a guaranteed suspension. Rempe charged straight at Boosh and made the hit while jumping into Boosh. At the very least, it should have been 2 for boarding !!!

Even my wife asked 'Shouldn't that hit be some sort of attempt to injure?'

JMHO.

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Dirty rags were trying to cheat on too many men as it was 2 on 1. And rempe is an ogre who should crawl back to his prehistoric cave lol

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
How was it a lucky win we outplayed them and deserved the win . Had the Rangers won the shootout would it have been a lucky win
It was lucky because of how many great scoring chances the Leafs gave up both in regulation and in OT. If Samsonov wasn't playing great it could've easily been 4-3, 5-3 or more with zero points or an OT loss.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Nylander was skating circles around the Rangers before his benching.

Forwards that carry their lines and put up massive points cheap out on D time to time. They're not machines. McDavid and Drai are the kings of fly bys. Kucherov doesn't even bother skate back at times. It happens.

Stop being so dramatic Keefe. For all we know we left goals on the bench in those 8 minutes and made this closer than it should be. This team runs through its core, not you Keefe.

Also, Nylander usually follows up a bad shift with a beast one now. You don't need to make an example of him to get results.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Forward line xGF% tonight:

McMann/Tavares/Jarnkrok: 95.94%
Knies/Matthews/Marner: 75.11%
Holberg/Kampf/Reaves: 37.02%
Bertuzzi/Domi/Nylander: 28.74%
Wow that's crazy. Thought the 4th line was better maybe they trailed off. 2nd line can't be doing that.
Of our 60 so far this year... that is one of the most tense and entertaining. Bit of everything.
Yup agree forsure. Tense game but effort was there.
Are we just cursed with D injuries this season.

I wonder what dman games lost is up to?
We're cursed but finding a way and that's great.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I don't think any goalie is stopping that first shot. The second goal, Sammy didn't get over fast enough. Not completely his fault, but he shares some blame. The third goal deflected in, then rebounded out. I can't blame him much on that one. He makes up for the second goal by coming across and robbing the Ranger player in OT (making an even harder save than would have been needed to prevent the second goal).

I understand some of the trepidation when it comes to Samson, but his record since the reprogramming sessions has been fantastic. At worst right now, we have an average goalie who could be a great backup in the playoffs.....maybe even a starter.
I figured Samsonov would win this game for the Leafs tonight, but I don't think he will start a single game in the playoffs barring injury. Woll will outplay him down the stretch, start game 1 against Boston, and take it from there.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021

Forwards that carry their lines and put up massive points cheap out on D time to time. They're not machines. McDavid and Drai are the kings of fly bys. Kucherov doesn't even bother skate back at times. It happens.

Stop being so dramatic Keefe. For all we know we left goals on the bench in those 8 minutes and made this closer than it should be. This team runs through its core, not you Keefe.

Also, Nylander usually follows up a bad shift with a beast one now. You don't need to make an example of him to get results.
Literally just rushed it in like he was doing all period and almost set up Bert before the bad defensive play.

You make a good point. Nylander has done a good job this season with self reflection. He knows when he messed up and takes it into his own hands to ensure he makes up for it.

Whatever. We won. Gonna take a deep breath and let it go now.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

Was it a benching? Think Willy took a puck of the face on his last 1st period shift that looked like it hurt a bit.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1709437636381.png

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Speculating but think on their first shift when they exchanged words Reavo was checking in and Rempe told him he couldn't go.

But then he sent Boosh to concussion protocol with a charge. Can't have it both ways.

So he had to answer for that, but Reavo caught him in the face a couple times so he had to call it early. Reavo played the whole thing cool.

Also how I saw it, still can’t say it isn’t impressive the kid still had the balls to draw in for a legit tilt.

If he passed on it I don’t think it’s an issue code-wise, again, given the poor condition he’s operating with right now.

I think Reaves would agree.

Reactions: LeafEgo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I figured Samsonov would win this game for the Leafs tonight, but I don't think he will start a single game in the playoffs barring injury. Woll will outplay him down the stretch, start game 1 against Boston, and take it from there.
He played well but he didn’t win the game for them. Better team won the game tonight.

Reactions: bax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad