Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Flames Wed Dec 6 @ 7:30 pm EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Bobby Mac today said "it's pretty obvious the Leafs organization doesn't see Nylander as a center". Last week, Miller said word around the league execs is that Nylander is seen as a winger in any trade contemplations. I just bring this stuff up because these guys are actually plugged in, their thoughts aren't just personal opinions.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If the JVR-Nylander-Marner line actually makes it to game day, I'd still be a little worried.

It's a perfect trap line for Nylander, he's going to have to be the defensively responsible one with little help coming from JVR. Even Marner is hit and miss game-to-game on the defensive side of things. If they get scored on, it's too easy for Babcock to say that Nylander isn't ready and go back to his usual lines.

Obviously they have a good chance to explode offensively, but if Leivo's case is any indication, that's not enough for Babcock to keep them together.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Polak is a flawed player. Rather than say the coach hates Carrick, perhaps Carrick deserves responsibility for playing so poorly this season that his coach sees Polak as equal or better. I mean let's keep it real, Carrick played himself out of the lineup, he's been a mess in his own end all year and his skating has been spotty, his first pass inconsistent. Babs got sick of watching him lose almost every battle on the boards, continually muscled off the puck. Borgman looks better without him to be honest. Not to say Carrick is finished, but he stunk down the stretch last year, was awol for the playoffs, and has been as stated this year, hardly a guy who has earned a permanent spot. We need another D man, Polak is a bandaid and Carrick looks like a 7.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
Well, Babcock was asked again today if he still sees Willie as a center long-term and he replied he doesn’t know, but he is trying to win a game against Calgary, so they’ll go from there. So yeah, this is not saying much at all.
Jonas Siegel tweeted this, so I don’t know if there’s a video of it and how he sounded/looked answering this.

Cant lie, I’m pretty excited for the JvR-Nylander-Marner line, despite knowing that it might not happen. But we will see. :)

I’m not too surprised to see Polak back in the lineup. Babcock likes to play certain players. Can’t do much about it.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Glad babcock is keeping polak in after a rough night. I like Carrick too but Polak has too much defensive abilities to keep him out.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Not sure I could find a single person who is fine with Polak's continual deployment. I'd like to see Justin Holl given a chance too honestly, he's been a real good soldier. Of course my eyes lit right up at JVR Nylander Marner but I expect that to not be an actual thing.

I'm not a huge fan of Carrick... and I do like Polak because I think he's a warrior.

But even I'm not fine with Polak's continual deployment. Carrick has passed Polak this year IMO. I think Dermott would be a huge upgrade.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011

good chart here to show the impact of Polak. Basically a lot of red right in front of our net means he's bad

The Chart doesn't show that tho and your premise is deeply flawed by being over symplistic , it shows the close shots are coming from directly in front not the scoring zones at the side aka"the back door" ,the mid range high slot shots which are dangerous in the middle are reduced greatly at all angles and the point shots are pushed to the furthest angle , and mostly from his partners side .So thanks for proving yourself wrong there Veillette .

member 262271

I'm not a huge fan of Carrick... and I do like Polak because I think he's a warrior.

But even I'm not fine with Polak's continual deployment. Carrick has passed Polak this year IMO. I think Dermott would be a huge upgrade.
Aside from the Rielly/Hainsey pairing it's likely a result of Babs liking LHD/RHD - which sort of makes me worried for Dermott, who's spot on the left does he take?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
if it was up to me I'd look at
JVR - Matthews - Marner
A nice two way center for Marner and JVR to be sheltered by, and good winger options for Matthews to play with and dominate offensively.
Marleau - Nylander - Hyman/Brown
Two good defensive wingers with Nylander to help him be a strong offensive center. Should be able to feast on easier matchups
Kapanen - Kadri - Hyman/Brown
Fast and reliable wingers for Kadri, gritty two way matchup line.
Komarov - Aaltonen/Bozak - Leivo
good 4th line that can beat other 4th lines
extras: Martin, Gauthier

Pkers: Komarov, Kapanen, Hyman, Brown, Marleau, Kadri

PP1: Leivo - Matthews - JVR
Nylander - Rielly

PP2: Kapenen - Kadri - Marleau
Gardiner - Marner

Defense:
Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Holl
Borgman - Zaitsev
extra: Carrick

Andersen
Pickard

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Hyman - - Matthews - - Marner
VanRiemdyk - Nylander - Brown
Marleau - - - - Kadri - - - - Leivo
Martin - - - Bozak - - - Komarov

Reactions: ThewThew

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm interested to see these new lines. Though I'm not holding my breath. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bozak playing and the lines back to normal by game time. I still don't like the Matthews line at all, but the Nylander line will be good. With Nylander at center, I would go with:

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Leivo
Hyman - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Moore/Bozak - Komarov

Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Rielly
Borgman - Zaitsev

Andersen
Pickard

Last edited:

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Oh good.....two days of the same people making up the same line combos that won't happen during the game we're discussing.

Maybe I'll stay in the Polak appreciation thread. :eek:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh good.....two days of the same people making up the same line combos that won't happen during the game we're discussing.

Maybe I'll stay in the Polak appreciation thread. :eek:
It's strange. What do these fantasy lineups have to do with the upcoming game?

member 262271

Dammit, flames down down 3 in the 3rd period. They're going to be extra hungry if they can't make a comeback tonight.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I just don't get why Nylander hasn't transitioned to centre yet. His play style is so well suited to being a C, right down to his great zone entries and great possession numbers.

Reactions: PuckMagi

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Bobby Mac today said "it's pretty obvious the Leafs organization doesn't see Nylander as a center". Last week, Miller said word around the league execs is that Nylander is seen as a winger in any trade contemplations. I just bring this stuff up because these guys are actually plugged in, their thoughts aren't just personal opinions.
I think Babs still sees Willy as a center long term. Nothing about him since last year has changed to make Bab's opinion alter that much. Maybe the org doesn't want to play Willy at center until next year after Bozak is gone and he has a contract extension in place. If he starts playing center now, his contract gets bigger.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I just don't get why Nylander hasn't transitioned to centre yet. His play style is so well suited to being a C, right down to his great zone entries and great possession numbers.
Listening to overdrive today McLennan was questioning whether Nylander could do it based on strength along the boards. And I think he has a point. Nylander is slick as hell but we'v never really seen him have to outmuscle opposing centers on a nightly basis. Strength may not be his strength. And playing in that first or second line center role will require it. We said the same about Kadri who's also a slim build. Hopefully Bill can do it because a 1-2-3 of Matthews,Kadri and Nylander is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad