Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Flames Wed Dec 6 @ 7:30 pm EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Listening to overdrive today McLennan was questioning whether Nylander could do it based on strength along the boards. And I think he has a point. Nylander is slick as hell but we'v never really seen him have to outmuscle opposing centers on a nightly basis. Strength may not be his strength. And playing in that first or second line center role will require it. We said the same about Kadri who's also a slim build. Hopefully Bill can do it because a 1-2-3 of Matthews,Kadri and Nylander is ridiculous.
I've seen Nylander win a decent amount of puck battles. More than anything he's very effective with his stick, and he's strong his skates, he has great lower body strength. I think he'd be fine.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

There is a chance that Babcock might move Willie to "C" sooner then later - or has he already made up his mind and that's the reason Willie is playing "C" against the Flames

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

There is a chance that Babcock might move Willie to "C" sooner then later - or has he already made up his mind and that's the reason Willie is playing "C" against the Flames

You know there is a much more likely chance he’s not playing center against the flames. The most likely scenario is he’s just covering for Bozak in practice.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hope Willy has a big game at centre (if Bozak is unable to go). He has the chance to make a statement about the long term with the team.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I actually happen to like Carrick's game and would like to see him in for Polak. He has the same sort of mean streak as Polak but comes with better foot speed and puck handling abilities.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would put the chance at Nylander centering Marner and JVR in this game at less than 1%. Nothing is ever 100% certain but does anyone honestly see this occurring?

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I don’t see Nylander actually at C happening, but if it were I’d personally just like to see:

Marleau - Matthews - Hyman
JVR - Nylander - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don’t see Nylander actually at C happening, but if it were I’d personally just like to see:

Marleau - Matthews - Hyman
JVR - Nylander - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown

Swap Marner and Brown and these are probably one of the few “fantasy lineups” posted here that I would agree with.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hope Willy has a big game at centre (if Bozak is unable to go). He has the chance to make a statement about the long term with the team.

I'd like to see Nylander with van Riemsdyk and Bozak (if healthy) with them alternating at the dot until Bozak is moved or walks.

I think Nylander brings a longer game than Marner, who is more a blueline to blueline (opposition red line) player.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'd like to see Nylander with van Riemsdyk and Bozak (if healthy) with them alternating at the dot until Bozak is moved or walks.

I think Nylander brings a longer game than Marner, who is more a blueline to blueline (opposition red line) player.

As long as Marner is with Matthews. If for some reason one of them has to be on the fourth line I think Nylander is the better fit. Neither should be but Nylander can at least carry that line.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I expect Nylander to play at C this year about as much as Corrado played last year. He's taking faceoffs, he's working on his consistency. He's being developed. Marleau is the safer option up the middle for the time being and Babcock has the long term development in mind. Nylander has the skillset to play C and the stated plan is for him to play C eventually. Faith and patience my friends.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Such vitriole over Babcocks lines. He's only human, like me or you, he puts his pants on one leg at a time. Except once his pants are on, he wins Stanley Cups and Olympic Gold medals.

I'm not sure why that would be a point?. Daryl Sutter has two Stanley Cups in the past 7 years. He's currently unemployed. If you had given a team full of Price, Crosby, Getzlaf, Doughty. He would have gotten you few medals

This game out adapts you very quickly. Your old ways doesn't always work

Steve Dangle put it very nicely. The present doesn't care about the past

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
wish we could have a real meritocracy. There are at least 3 wingers who should be on the 4th line ahead of nylander but no earning your minutes only applies to Nylander, marner and brown it appears

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Didn't like how Nylander played at center last time this was tried.

Marleau is the safer choice for a temp centerman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad