Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs arizona coyotes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
No issues with Kallgren starting. Would I have done it? No, but I completely get it.

Robertson should be in there though. Him and Malgin were neck and neck in the preseason, Robertson is the good prospect with the higher ceiling. Malgin gets the spot to start because waivers fine. Robertson is here now, Malgin has been ok but not amazing. The waivers thing isn't a factor anymore. Nick should be getting a look.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Kallgren starting makes little sense to me.
If you plan on playing SAM Thursday-Saturday-Monday why not give him a bit of a break against the worst team in the NHL?
Otherwise when it comes time to ask your backup to play he will have been idle so long it would cause trouble.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You don't typically see a workload being managed in the first week of the season. I'm sure as a professional athlete Samsonov is in good enough condition to play the next run of games. I would have ran him through Saturday and give Kallgren Vegas.

Samsonov at best has only been a 1A or tandem goalie appearing in 42 starts last year (1/2 a season). When Murray was healthy the plan was likely to split the 82 games in 1/2 roughly.

I agree with you looking at schedule the plan seem 2 games for Sammy and then 1 for Kallgren as workload management. Sammy just played the last 2 so Kallgren goes tonight.

Sammy gets Dallas and Winnipeg and then Kallgren gets Vegas... Then Leafs head to California and again likely a 2 games to 1 rotation.

Early in a new season soft tissue injuries hamstrings, groins etc are more suseptable so Leafs are likely trying to ease Sammy into a #1 workload.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
they're so playing robertson on thursday just because of his brother

so obvious

but that also means they're likely pulling out malgin which is why they're using dallas as an excuse

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't really mind Kallgren receiving the nod for tonight (no back-to-back scenario until the end of the month). I actually would have been more open to a lineup change with the spares in tow. Then again, I can't bring myself to question that either coming off of consecutive wins.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you plan on playing SAM Thursday-Saturday-Monday why not give him a bit of a break against the worst team in the NHL?
Otherwise when it comes time to ask your backup to play he will have been idle so long it would cause trouble.
Just like to keep him rolling tonight, build off of the last game.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Maybe he's being showcased as one piece in a larger trade. Arizona always seems to be looking for a goalie and Dubas is likely interested in upgrading our defence.
That would be great.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Maybe he's being showcased as one piece in a larger trade. Arizona always seems to be looking for a goalie and Dubas is likely interested in upgrading our defence.

Doubt it but anything is possible.

Erik Kallgren​

Goalie -- shoots L
Born Oct 14 1996 -- Stockholm, Sweden
[26 yrs. ago]
Height 6.03 -- Weight 200 [191 cm/91 kg]
Drafted by Arizona Coyotes
- round 7 #183 overall
2015 NHL Entry Draft

Reactions: Buds17

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
We have 7 games in the next 14 days, I am sure the players called up will see some time.

My assumption is they consulted some people far more knowledgeable about this matter than this forum to see what the best schedule was for practice/games to get the best results, but maybe not, maybe they are just guessing.

He also has 17 shots, the goals will come.
Why would they need a rest. The players with the most minutes will not, AM, MM, WN,JT, then why would a 4th liner who plays 10 to 12 min need Simmonds to give them a rest.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Not sure why Samsonov isn't starting. Seems like a weird decision. Leafs don't play until Thursday.
I guess they don't want Kallgren thinking he's up here for a vacation, and truthfully I think they see him as a big part of a future tandem, so he needs to be ready to go all day every day.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I guess they don't want Kallgren thinking he's up here for a vacation, and truthfully I think they see him as a big part of a future tandem, so he needs to be ready to go all day every day.
Really?

Reactions: Buds17

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
True, I never thought of it like that. Keefe and Dubas have a 100% success rate, so nobody should ever question them
I would have thought that starting Samsonov in net tonight is so obvious that it's a no-brainer. The logic of this escapes me.

However, I've read that regular-season accomplishments are utterly meaningless, and in that case what difference does it make? They could play the Zamboni driver for all it matters -- unless regular-season games do actually have some value and meaning?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
If Sammy can't play 3 games in a week against AZ, DAL and WPG then I don't know if he would ever be able to be "the guy" for us. That's just a normal workload for an NHL starter. Which I assume is still in Sammy's realm of expectations for his career from himself and by our management. You hear goalies talk about this all the time, they want the net. They want the reps. These men are athletes, their bodies are conditioned to handle this workload.

As far as I am concerned, if Sammy gives us the best chance at winning tonight, you play him. It's so funny how all athletes and coaches bombard us with the cliché quote of "We are just taking it one game at a time. I am focused 100% on this game, not game X, Y or Z" and then pull shit like this lol.

Should Kallgren be able to win? Ya 100%

Does he give us the best chance at winning? No

Last season, early on, We started Michael Hutchinson on the first game of a B2B against a far inferior San Jose team. The sharks were playing the 2nd half of their B2B against our rested team and Hutch quite literally cost us the game. We underestimated our opponent and we were looking beyond the game at hand. Ironically, on the second half of our B2B, we got our eyes pumped shut by a Penguins team that had no Crosby, Malkin, Carter, Rust or Letang.

This move to play Kallgren just feels like overcoaching IMO. I don't care how bad the yotes lineup is, those guys are still an NHL squad and have a lot of pride. Don't think for one second this isn't a big game for the yotes players. Their roster includes: 12 Canadians (7 of which are from Ontario), and 2 former Maple Leafs. Playing in Toronto is always a big thing for other teams. We aren't going to get mid-season doldrums version of the yotes tonight. We never do lol.

It's a coaching decision that Sheldon more than likely gets away with, I just don't think I understand the call when it's not a B2B scenario. There is really no rationale that makes sense unless Sammy is nursing a little bit of discomfort.

Reactions: thinkblue

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't see why people are so adamant about forcing Robertson into the lineup right now. We have the luxury to take our time with him, and he looks like he needs that time.

He played all of 2 games in the AHL, and wasn't even our best forward in either of those games. Why force him into being a mediocre NHL player when he still clearly needs the reps at the AHL level?

Also, FWIW, Malgin has the 3rd highest ixG at 5-on-5 on our team so far behind only Matthews and Nylander, and on a per 60 basis (since he plays a lot less than Matthews and Nylander), he is practically on par with them... Which is well ahead of 4th place. It is not something that favours playmakers (sorry Marner and Tavares), but it does suggest that Malgin is not someone who deserves to be taken out of the lineup right now.

Reactions: kb

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Psychology!

Instead of the players looking at the game as a cakewalk and only putting in a half-assed effort, Keefe is forcing them to play a full game by playing a minor-league goalie who will need all the help he can get.

Or he's an idiot. Take your pick. :sarcasm:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I would have thought that starting Samsonov in net tonight is so obvious that it's a no-brainer. The logic of this escapes me.

However, I've read that regular-season accomplishments are utterly meaningless, and in that case what difference does it make? They could play the Zamboni driver for all it matters -- unless regular-season games do actually have some value and meaning?
The regular season still matters a little bit as the leafs should be competing for the president's trophy and lock up a more favorable first round opponent. However, I do think that the Leafs should be trying to get some stability and familiarity with their goaltending situation. I'm not sure how much this one game will end up mattering, but it just seems more useful to let Samsonov get on a bit of a roll

Reactions: stickty111

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
A line of just grinders and hitters will do that. They've been ok but they need to do more with the puck for sure. I don't even know if they have 1 scoring chance so far, but Kampf did have a nice redirect the other night.

I'd expect a shuffle of that line soon.
I don't see them doing anything except being in our zone.

Do u remember any significant hits or plays?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad