Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs arizona coyotes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wear him out? Seems like a weird thing to do this early in the season. Plenty of time to play Kallgren with games close to each other.

I'm sure this is a situation where Kallgren can play against a bad team but I still think it's a bad decision.
If Samsonov needs a rest already they better start looking for another goalie. No way he could survive the season.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I can't believe the Leafs don't want to build up some familiarity and rythym for the goalie they desperately need to be good.

Similarly, I can't believe Robertson is finally at a level where he can realistically be expected to be a useful NHL player and they don't even care enough to get him into a game. This team makes some weird decisions

We have 7 games in the next 14 days, I am sure the players called up will see some time.

My assumption is they consulted some people far more knowledgeable about this matter than this forum to see what the best schedule was for practice/games to get the best results, but maybe not, maybe they are just guessing.

He also has 17 shots, the goals will come.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
We have 7 games in the next 14 days, I am sure the players called up will see some time.

My assumption is they consulted some people far more knowledgeable about this matter than this forum to see what the best schedule was for practice/games to get the best results, but maybe not, maybe they are just guessing.
True, I never thought of it like that. Keefe and Dubas have a 100% success rate, so nobody should ever question them

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
True, I never thought of it like that. Keefe and Dubas have a 100% success rate, so nobody should ever question them

just complain about the playoffs, they do well in the regular season, and everyone calls us a regular season team, so why complain about what works?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Starting Kallgren and keeping Robertson out are two moves I definitely wouldn't of done as Leafs coach.

Really interested to hear Keefe's thought process on starting our 3rd string on a Monday night where we don't play again until Thursday.

After Robertson's preseason and the cap becoming a non-issue, you have to throw the kid a bone and get him into a game.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I don't mind the Kallgren start at all.

He has to play at some point and starting now will help settle the jitters. It's good for him to get his footing playing a weaker team than having to stand on his head in a back to back against Tampa or something.

For Samsanov, it's earlier in the year and probably good to ease his workload and keep him hungry.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Wear him out? Seems like a weird thing to do this early in the season. Plenty of time to play Kallgren with games close to each other.

I'm sure this is a situation where Kallgren can play against a bad team but I still think it's a bad decision.

As I said, I think it was either today or Winnipeg... And I would rather have him face Arizona at home. Winnipeg is not great but they still have some firepower and Hellebuyck.

Otherwise Kallgren doesn't play until likely the 30th against Anaheim and I don't think they want to ride Samsonov that much even early on... Especially when he starts playing against some tougher teams in the next few weeks. You'd be asking him to play 80% of the games this month.

Or it is the same thing as it was this time last week when there simply is no room to put him anywhere at this point. At least we can get him some NHL money and practice until our road trip, but he should be left home to play with the Marlies on the weekend. Call up Gaudette if we need a top 9 insurance option who we can afford to keep in the press box.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I'm sorry, Kallgren should not be starting tonight and Robertson should not be an HS. We have 2 days off between today's game and Thursday's game. So unless Sammy is dealing with something, there is absolutely no reason to not play him. Robertson not playing is even more stupid IMO. Kyle made it abundantly clear to all fringe players at the end of last season that there will roster spots to be available and that they needed the likes of Robertson, Steeves, Holmberg, Abruzzese, Anderson...etc to put in the work in the offseason to step into a meaningful role. So far, all I have seen is Robertson putting in the work, and not getting the opportunity that was promised would be available. I cannot imagine where his head is at TBH.

If you can't play Nick against the Yotes, when can you??

No disrespect to the ZAR - Kampf - NAK line, but it's hardly moved the needle in either direction thus far. In fact, I'd say the last game against the sens has been their only good game so far. I really like NAK's game, but he's not exactly earned a firm spot in the lineup IMO. Would it really kill the team to healthy one of ZAR, or NAK for a game? I also think Pierre has had a bit of rust since coming back from injury as well.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Malgin - Kerfoot - Jarnkrok
ZAR - Kampf - Engvall

But what do I know, I don't get paid to make these kind of decisions. Just doesn't make a ton of sense to me TBH.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm sorry, Kallgren should not be starting tonight and Robertson should not be an HS. We have 2 days off between today's game and Thursday's game. So unless Sammy is dealing with something, there is absolutely no reason to not play him. Robertson not playing is even more stupid IMO. Kyle made it abundantly clear to all fringe players at the end of last season that there will roster spots to be available and that they needed the likes of Robertson, Steeves, Holmberg, Abruzzese, Anderson...etc to put in the work in the offseason to step into a meaningful role. So far, all I have seen is Robertson putting in the work, and not getting the opportunity that was promised would be available. I cannot imagine where his head is at TBH.

If you can't play Nick against the Yotes, when can you??

No disrespect to the ZAR - Kampf - NAK line, but it's hardly moved the needle in either direction thus far. In fact, I'd say the last game against the sens has been their only good game so far. I really like NAK's game, but he's not exactly earned a firm spot in the lineup IMO. Would it really kill the team to healthy one of ZAR, or NAK for a game? I also think Pierre has had a bit of rust since coming back from injury as well.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Malgin - Kerfoot - Jarnkrok
ZAR - Kampf - Engvall

But what do I know, I don't get paid to make these kind of decisions. Just doesn't make a ton of sense to me TBH.

You would be changing 3 lines, and ironically the 3 lines which have actually played well together in at least 2/3 of the games without touching the line that underperformed in all 3 games.

If they weren't going to force Robertson into the lineup last week, he wasn't going to be forced into the lineup this week either.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kallgren starting makes little sense to me.

Leafs have to manage the workload of their only only remaining NHL goalie.

Leafs organization depth in net and being at the 50 contract max limit, would mean any injury now to Samsonov would put Leafs playoffs in jeopardy,

Murray and Sammy were likely to rotate, so now they have to give Kallgren the weaker QofC of which Arizona would qualify. If you don't feel comfortable playing him today who would you play him against?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kallgren starting is odd but looking at it more, it makes some sense.
Like Robertson to play but get why he isn't.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs have to manage the workload of their only only remaining NHL goalie.

Leafs organization depth in net and being at the 50 contract max limit, would mean any injury now to Samsonov would put Leafs playoffs in jeopardy,

Murray and Sammy were likely to rotate, so now they have to give Kallgren the weaker QofC of which Arizona would qualify. If you don't feel comfortable playing him today who would you play him against?
You don't typically see a workload being managed in the first week of the season. I'm sure as a professional athlete Samsonov is in good enough condition to play the next run of games. I would have ran him through Saturday and give Kallgren Vegas.

Reactions: supermann_98

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
No need to freak out over the goalie change, it makes sense when looking at the schedule going forward.

Regardless, if this Leafs team can't beat Phoenix with Kallgren in net, they have bigger problems.

Would like to see Robertson in the lineup, but understand why he's not.

Feeling a 5-1 win tonight, with Papi getting multiple goals.

Reactions: willmma

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Seems like a bit of taking an opponent for granted.

We all know how that usually turns out unfortunately.

Or everyone just does their job...

If we can't trust Kallgren in this situation, then we need a new goalie.

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto
Good move to put Kallgren in. No need to over extend Samsonov, especially when we just lost our 1B and are playing a far inferior team.

Robertson being scratched annoys me. Malign has been a passenger the last couple of games on that 2nd line. Loses the puck too often for my liking, gets rubbed off the puck like it's nothing. Robertson needs to be in the lineup.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Matthews will be up for Arizona which means single handed he will score more than the Arizona team will...BOOK IT

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
You would be changing 3 lines, and ironically the 3 lines which have actually played well together in at least 2/3 of the games without touching the line that underperformed in all 3 games.

If they weren't going to force Robertson into the lineup last week, he wasn't going to be forced into the lineup this week either.
Ya I hear you, but they literally have played only 3 games together as a full unit and as we've already seen injuries occur when you least expect it. We need to be ready to adapt when that time comes. Be proactive, not reactive. We tried multiple configurations with Malgin and Robertson in the lineup throughout the preseason and all of them showed varying levels of success.

Like I said in my previous post, the least impressive forwards IMO have been Engvall and NAK so far. I still believe in both players, but I just don't think they've earned their names to be written in pen on the lineup card at this point. Pierre didn't really get a camp, so I give him a pass, whereas NAK's only good game from the preseason and first 3 games of the regular season was last game against the Sens. I just think it's enough to have him take a night off. I love NAK as a player and I know he will be big for us down the line, but he needs to earn his minutes as well.

Of course altering 3 lines is never ideal, I totally see that. But we'd really be only shifting 1 guy off each line if we were to slot Nick onto the 2nd line. in Sheldon's words, Nick was good enough to make the team out of camp and was only a victim of the cap. Yet, now that he's on the active roster he's not good enough to play against the yotes? Is Nick's only path into the lineup at the expense of another player getting injured or Malgin failing in his current role? That wasn't necessarily the narrative that was told at Kyle's end of year presser last year.

I am usually not one to call out the coach or GM, I am a fan of both Kyle and Sheldon. But at some point you have to reward the player for doing exactly what you've asked of them IMO.

At the end of the day, we should win against the yotes regardless of who we start in net, and whatever lineup we ice. Maybe I am being impatient with Robertson. You hardly ever change the lineup after a win, so why would it be different here I guess. I just think Nick deserves a real shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad