Leafs starting line-up 24/25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd love for that to be the 4th line, I just can't believe Berube would throw out 3 rookies on a line. I do believe that Cowan is going to make a serious push. Besides, he can't be sent to the A, and sending him back to the Knights would probably be a detriment to his development. I like the other 3 lines you have. Good speed and tenaciousness on each line.
4th. line is a fantasy, but it would be cost effective.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
People are sleeping on Grebenkin

Maybe... but we have a lot of bodies, and he's waiver eligible. So we've seen how that plays out quite often. He'll get his chances, but it might not be at the start of the season due to the waiver eligibility. If he tears up the AHL, and we have injuries though....

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Maybe... but we have a lot of bodies, and he's waiver eligible. So we've seen how that plays out quite often. He'll get his chances, but it might not be at the start of the season due to the waiver eligibility. If he tears up the AHL, and we have injuries though....
European
Assignment
Clause

No AHL

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
There is a new seed that Jonas Siegel planted in the heads of leaf fans. 5 years in a row of playing right wing really well won't stop the media/fans from suggesting that Willy should play Center now.
If Dubas hadn't signed Tavares, Willy probably would have been playing 2C the last few years. It will be interesting to see how he does in his natural position.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'm curious if this is optional on Grebenkin's part?

I don't believe he's under contract to Magnitogorsk, but he probably could decide to go back if he's in the AHL.

If he's happy I think he stays regardless of which Toronto team he's playing for.

I believe that generally they come in the form of a "player option". If Grebenken wants (is willing) to ride the bus in the AHL for $70k -- then of course he can do that.

I suspect it'll probably come down to convincing him of the advantages of remaining with the Marlies (same city, same practice facility, easy callup) as it goes towards a future NHL career; whereas if he goes back to Russia, he's basically going to be stuck there for the year.

From a hockey-sense, he's better off with the Marlies.... but he's only 20 years old, he hasn't exactly secured himself a comfortable bag of cash. Turning down a couple million probably to play in the KHL; in order to chase an NHL dream, is a little bit of a tough proposition.

Maybe it's a situation where barring a completely lights out performance, he's going back to the KHL, with the mindset of joining the Leafs/Marlies upon the KHL season's completion.

Last edited:
Reactions: supermann_98

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The number of people insisting we never find out if $11M RFA can do anything on his own is baffling.
We know that he can do anything on his own. What's baffling, is people wanting to misuse him in suboptimal ways and make the team worse, out of some weird personal vendetta.

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
I think the european out clause is just to give him some leverage, but I'm sure he will report to the Marlies if asked to. Leafs really did everything they could for him. Burn his first year + gave him signing bonus of 87k for every single year. So he's making 170k even if he plays full year in the AHL.

Probably already cashed 2 signing bonuses without playing a single game.

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I think the european out clause is just to give him some leverage, but I'm sure he will report to the Marlies if asked to. Leafs really did everything they could for him. Burn his first year + gave him signing bonus of 87k for every single year. So he's making 170k even if he plays full year in the AHL.

Probably already cashed 2 signing bonuses without playing a single game.
No he won't. Why would he and his agent get that clause into the contract, only to not use the leverage that it gives them?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
^^

This.

The number of people insisting we never find out if $11M RFA can do anything on his own is baffling.

I like Knies on the first line,it's about time we start looking ahead. Nothing to be gained from pumping Mitch stats by glueing him to the best goal scorrer in the league once again.

Let Knies and Domi get 1st line minutes and experiences.

Probably too much to ask from Mitch. We need him next to Matthews who, just for the record was 3rd in Selke voting this past year. Unlike Mitch Marner.

Why do we need Mitch glued to Matthews? I'm sure his PR team can answer that.
I don't think it's been a case of "Auston needing Mitch" or "Mitch needing Auston"... although Matthews probably doesn't score 69 goals without Mitch alongside him.

I think it comes down to the anaytyics saying these guys are your best offensive players, wanting to get them on the ice in the best offensive situations for the most amount of time, and if you've got them on 3 lines, all of their ice time will suffer a bit.

I get that anayltically, it might be the right move. The problem is -- I believe it's created this culture where you're not really expected to do anything unless you are playing on the top 2 lines. I believe it's also created a slight "wear" issue where these guys are getting a bit worn down come playoff time.

Personally, I've long been an advocate of spreading them on 3 lines. We saw what Domi did in limited action with Matthews -- that should be why you have $13m players -- to turn $4m players into $7m production. Give them Matthew Knies maybe even Max Pacioretty.

I think Mitch Marner would be an incredible winger for Fraser Minten; especially if they're trying to develop him as a future 2nd line C. Even Nylander, would be a great option there, given his ability to create offence on his own.

If not Minten, put Holmberg as the 3C with Nylander on the right; and let Marner try to prop up Tavares.

Reactions: andora

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
No he won't. Why would he and his agent get that clause into the contract, only to not use the leverage that it gives them?

You can still bail if you are not happy the way the Marlies are utilizing you. If he has a good camp and is in last 2 guys to get cut, he's pretty much guaranteed to play in the NHL when injuries start to pill up. No reason to threatened the Leafs every second you get.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't think it's been a case of "Auston needing Mitch" or "Mitch needing Auston"... although Matthews probably doesn't score 69 goals without Mitch alongside him.
When marner was out with injury, Matthews scored 9 goals in 12 games, a 61.5 pace.

So, yes marner helped him, but perhaps not to the extent believed.

marner:
1726320534228.png

Matthews:
1726320479978.png

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
When marner was out with injury, Matthews scored 9 goals in 12 games, a 61.5 pace.

So, yes marner helped him, but perhaps not to the extent believed.

marner:
View attachment 906934

Matthews:
View attachment 906933

I assume he was playing with Domi those games? Domi has various limitations but the one thing he can do very well is set up a top sniper like Matthews.
Marner becomes overly predictable when playing with Matthews. I think you get more from Marner and Matthews when they are on separate lines.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
13F / 7D / 2G

That's what is currently constructed and cap compliant. The only way to keep a 23rd player is by moving Kampf or Jarnkrok and replacing them with two players roughly <1M. It's already implied that Pacioretty WILL be signed, so we are essentially waiting for a shoe to drop somewhere. Only Knies is free from waivers but he is certainly a top-6 lock, so any addition to this forward group (Pacioretty?) is 1-for-1 waivers or trading of an existing player (Robertson?).

F1: Knies - Matthews - Domi
F2: McMann - Tavares - Marner
F3: Robertson - Nylander - Jarnkrok
F4: Dewar - Kampf - Reaves
EX: Holmberg

D1: Rielly - Tanev
D2: McCabe - Liljegren
D3: OEL - Hakanpaa
EX: Benoit

G1: Woll
G2: Stolarz

Timmins has to be traded/waived no matter what. Unless Liljegren is for some reason moved. Timmins might just develop into a good player but he needs playing time and to stay healthy, and this Leafs' team just isn't the right fit for him now with Rielly/OEL blocking PP time and 3 right handed dmen ahead of him and one right behind him (Myers).

Kampf comes down to whether or not they think Dewar or Holmberg can replace him. Dewar was acquired for a reason and we haven't gotten a full glimpse of what he can be. He was playing 3rd line C in Minnesota and fans were sad to see him go. Can Kampf be moved? Is coaching staff confident in Dewar or Holmberg to run or take f/o on an NHL pk? Can either be relied on to eat defensive zone draws and minutes? Seems like no.

I have no idea what to expect. Sucks that the team is like 1M short on keeping that extra guy and it's going to cost them a player or two once again. Seems like Jarnkrok will need to move to open up cap and roster space for Patches and Lorentz.

OR someone gets injured and the can is kicked down the road.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I believe that generally they come in the form of a "player option". If Grebenken wants (is willing) to ride the bus in the AHL for $70k -- then of course he can do that.

I suspect it'll probably come down to convincing him of the advantages of remaining with the Marlies (same city, same practice facility, easy callup) as it goes towards a future NHL career; whereas if he goes back to Russia, he's basically going to be stuck there for the year.

From a hockey-sense, he's better off with the Marlies.... but he's only 20 years old, he hasn't exactly secured himself a comfortable bag of cash. Turning down a couple million probably to play in the KHL; in order to chase an NHL dream, is a little bit of a tough proposition.

Maybe it's a situation where barring a completely lights out performance, he's going back to the KHL, with the mindset of joining the Leafs/Marlies upon the KHL season's completion.
Going back to the KHL if he doesn't make the team is what would happen, but it's very unlikely IMO. I think if he was going to stay in Russia another season he wouldn't have signed his ELC and just gone back. Historically it's very rare for a player to sign out of the KHL with enough leverage to get a Euro Assignment Clause in their contract, and not at least make the team out of camp on a short leash.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
If Dubas hadn't signed Tavares, Willy probably would have been playing 2C the last few years. It will be interesting to see how he does in his natural position.

Nylander natural position is RW. He had been draft as RW and was his primary before to even play in NHL

If dubas hadn't signed tavares, kadri would stay... when his deal would be over, he would be resign or leafs gonna get an other C.

Try to name me for fun player who had been draft as winger and switch as Full time c in the NHL with succes?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
13F / 7D / 2G

That's what is currently constructed and cap compliant. The only way to keep a 23rd player is by moving Kampf or Jarnkrok and replacing them with two players roughly <1M. It's already implied that Pacioretty WILL be signed, so we are essentially waiting for a shoe to drop somewhere. Only Knies is free from waivers but he is certainly a top-6 lock, so any addition to this forward group (Pacioretty?) is 1-for-1 waivers or trading of an existing player (Robertson?).

F1: Knies - Matthews - Domi
F2: McMann - Tavares - Marner
F3: Robertson - Nylander - Jarnkrok
F4: Dewar - Kampf - Reaves
EX: Holmberg

D1: Rielly - Tanev
D2: McCabe - Liljegren
D3: OEL - Hakanpaa
EX: Benoit

G1: Woll
G2: Stolarz

Timmins has to be traded/waived no matter what. Unless Liljegren is for some reason moved. Timmins might just develop into a good player but he needs playing time and to stay healthy, and this Leafs' team just isn't the right fit for him now with Rielly/OEL blocking PP time and 3 right handed dmen ahead of him and one right behind him (Myers).

Kampf comes down to whether or not they think Dewar or Holmberg can replace him. Dewar was acquired for a reason and we haven't gotten a full glimpse of what he can be. He was playing 3rd line C in Minnesota and fans were sad to see him go. Can Kampf be moved? Is coaching staff confident in Dewar or Holmberg to run or take f/o on an NHL pk? Can either be relied on to eat defensive zone draws and minutes? Seems like no.

I have no idea what to expect. Sucks that the team is like 1M short on keeping that extra guy and it's going to cost them a player or two once again. Seems like Jarnkrok will need to move to open up cap and roster space for Patches and Lorentz.

OR someone gets injured and the can is kicked down the road.

That's a great write up. My only point of difference is that I consider Reaves waiver material.

Is anyone going to take him? That contract is waiver flexibility for us. He could be moved down without ever having to report to the Marlies. If we need to add Pacioretty and everyone is healthy (and no trades) then I see Reaves to waivers as the best asset management.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's a great write up. My only point of difference is that I consider Reaves waiver material.

Is anyone going to take him? That contract is waiver flexibility for us. He could be moved down without ever having to report to the Marlies. If we need to add Pacioretty and everyone is healthy (and no trades) then I see Reaves to waivers as the best asset management.

I don't think Tre does though.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander natural position is RW. He had been draft as RW and was his primary before to even play in NHL

If dubas hadn't signed tavares, kadri would stay... when his deal would be over, he would be resign or leafs gonna get an other C.

Try to name me for fun player who had been draft as winger and switch as Full time c in the NHL with succes?
He was drafted as a centre. He played centre in the minors and for Sweden in international play.

Yes, Kadri may well have stayed if not for the mistake of signing Tavares, and would likely have been the 2C for a couple of years before the better player replaced him.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
He was drafted as a centre. He played centre in the minors and for Sweden in international play.

Yes, Kadri may well have stayed if not for the mistake of signing Tavares, and would likely have been the 2C for a couple of years before the better player replaced him.
1000004182.jpg
1000004181.jpg

just 2 scouting report from 2014 i found pretty fast... Nylander played at time as c like Marner did, like Cowan did... That's doesn't mean he was a center...

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad