Leafs starting line-up 24/25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think Minten will go to the Marlies to start the season to play high end minutes. Just a gut feeling. Probably will be first call-up unless he starts off slow.

I like Steeves a lot but hard to see a spot for him unless they waive Reaves or someone gets injured.

He typically plays LW when they are at their best. I don't think he's ever displaced one of their centers before.

This. I had previously (incorrectly) assumed that it was a NHL or WHL option for him...with him being able to be sent to the AHL, he'll probably have a very high uphill battle to make the team. Alex Nylander, theoretically a really good linemate option.

As for where that leaves the starting lineup... I've personally never been a huge fan of all this "Nylander at C" stuff. Let him be the dynamic winger he's capable of.

Do something like this:

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Pacioretty-Holmberg-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Kampf-Cowan

Reactions: banks

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Tavares-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Nylander-Marner
Robertson/Pacioretty-Holmberg-McMann
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Why would I want to use a bigger sample size as I was referencing this year.

You don't find it unusual that this year the stats were different?

I think Marner played poorly... I think it reflects that.

Most would call it an "outlier".

Reactions: arso40

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
My question is why? marner doesn't just decide not to do something. What changed?
There doesn't need to be meaningful changes to a player's approach to have variances in a situational response stat over tiny samples. You're reading way too much into this.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Personally? I want:

McMann - Mathews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Domi - Jarnkrok
Pacioretty - Dewar - Reaves

I want Reaves for all the rivalry games. I think a presence like him is needed. Play Holmberg in the games against skill teams

There's gonna be so many moving parts throughout the season though, who knows. If Pacioretty is past his injury and looks semi decent again, I can totally see him moving up to a top 6 role to compliment either Mathews or Tavares

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Robertson Matthews Domi
Minten Nylander Marner
Knies Tavares Cowan
McMann Dewar Jarnkrok
Reaves/Holmberg

Robertson gives Domi two targets.
Minten plays with talent, pushing his learning curve but at a less demanding position and hopefully upping his upside.
KTC, if Cowan can make the jump would be a handful against many a second line. Against 3rd lines they could dominate.
There’s some talent on the 4th, but are they ‘heavy’ enough?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Want to use a bigger sample size?

Probably the only year Nylander has led that stat.

Dissing Nylander with probably, dunno if too lazy to check the stats or too scared you would be wrong. Hilarious either way

But it's cool you get Dekes auto like :DD

edit: I'm not even touching we don't consider the whole last season big enough sample size

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Dissing Nylander with probably, dunno if too lazy to check the stats or too scared you would be wrong. Hilarious either way

But it's cool you get Dekes auto like :DD

edit: I'm not even touching we don't consider the whole last season big enough sample size

You can check... I went back like 3 years and that was the case.

I didn't diss anyone, pointing out that someone doesn't block as many shots as someone else is not a "diss".

Why comment when you're adding absolutely nothing?

The whole last season is not what was being looked at by the way, it was the playoffs...

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
So many lineups with PHolmberg as a 13th forward. If Patches does indeed sign, as it seems he will, I won’t be a big fan of it pushing development or playing time away from the Dewars/Holmbergs if that comes to pass.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Since Rielly-Tanev is pretty much confirmed to be the 1st pair to start, we won't see this right away, but at some point I'd like to see a McCabe-Tanev pair, which in theory would be an upgrade on Benoit-McCabe as a shutdown pair:

McCabe-Tanev
Rielly-Hakanpaa
OEL-Liljegren/Benoit (OEL can play both sides so Benoit could be a left side partner for him)

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Knies Matthews Domi
McMann Tavares Nylander
Robertson/Patches Holmberg/Minten Marner
Lorentz Kampf Jarnkrok

Rielly Tanev
Benoit McCabe
OEL Hakanpaa

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Since Rielly-Tanev is pretty much confirmed to be the 1st pair to start, we won't see this right away, but at some point I'd like to see a McCabe-Tanev pair, which in theory would be an upgrade on Benoit-McCabe as a shutdown pair:

McCabe-Tanev
Rielly-Hakanpaa
OEL-Liljegren/Benoit (OEL can play both sides so Benoit could be a left side partner for him)
Interesting. Hakanpaa on the mix does give us more options. Liljegren and Reilly have never worked as a pair, so that limits us.

A healthy Hakanpaa could be a good fit to Reilly.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd love to see

Knies Matthews Domi
McMann Tavares Marner
Robertson Holmberg Nylander
Jarnkrok Minten Cowan
Grebenkin Dewar

I'm just not sure Minten and Cowan are ready yet.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Siegel is reporting that Nylander will be tried out at centre, and it will be a lengthy attempt unlike last year.

I wonder what the roster shakes out if this is the case. Sticking Marner with Nylander would be fascinating.

Knies - Matthew - Domi
McMann - Nylander - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Dewar - Kampf - Holmberg

I noticed i forgot Reaves and Patches. Too many bodies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Siegel is reporting that Nylander will be tried out at centre, and it will be a lengthy attempt unlike last year.

I wonder what the roster shakes out if this is the case. Sticking Marner with Nylander would be fascinating.

Knies - Matthew - Domi
McMann - Nylander - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Dewar - Kampf - Holmberg
Did he say how he knows this?

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
I’d be trading Jarnkrok and Kampf for picks to make room for Grebenkin and Cowan
Domi Matthews Marner
Knies Nylander Robertson
Grebenkin JT Cowan
Patches Holmberg Reaves/Dewar

Time to stop trying the same things over and over start letting the kids play

GoLeafsGo919

Jan 17, 2013
My two cents

Knies Matthews Domi
Pacioretty Nylander Marner
Robertson Tavares McMann
Dewar Kampf Lorentz
Reaves

Reilly Tanev
OEL Liljegren
McCabe Benoit
Hakanpää - into lineup when healthy

Woll
Stolarz

Jarnkrok gets moved for a pick - he still has some value.

PP #1
34, 16, 88, 91 and 95

PP#2
89, 67, 11, 23, and 44

PK
F’s - Marner, Kampf, Dewar, Lorentz - p/t 34/88
D - Hakanpää, Tanev, McCabe, Benoit, Liljegren

Reactions: supermann_98

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Knies - - - Matthews - - - Domi
Pacioretty - Nylander - Marner
Cowan* - - Tavares - - McMann
Dewar - - - Kampf - - - Reaves
Holmberg, Lorentz

Jarnkrok Traded for Picks & Cap Space
Robertson* Replaces Cowan or Traded for Picks

Rielly - - - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - - Liljegren
Hakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz

PP1

Knies
Nylander - Domi - Matthews
OEL

PP2

Tavares
Marner - Matthews - Pacioretty
Rielly

PK1

Kampf - Marner
McCabe - Tanev

PK2

Dewar - McMann
Benoit - Liljegren

PK3

Matthews - Knies
Rielly - - - Tanev

Reactions: supermann_98

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I know we all want to look at the names on the roster and in camp and come up with a cap-compliant 22 or 23 man roster, it's fun. It may also be a wasted effort because there are three very important factors we can't forecast at this point:
  • Injuries
  • Trades
  • PTO signing amounts AND TIMING.
It is this last one that has me intrigued, Why did Pacioretty (and Lorentz) sign PTOs and not NHL contracts? Is it possible that these guys won't be signed until the end of camp (or even later) when we know who's healthy and possibly who gets traded, without having to rush a trade to get cap compliant before the season?

The following 23-man roster is $470K OVER the cap and doesn't include Pacioretty or Lorentz

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Domi
Knies
Holmberg
McMann
Kampf
Jarnkrok
Dewar
Cowan (for at least nine games)

Reilly
Tanev
McCabe
OEL
Liljegren
Hakanpaa
Benoit

Woll
Stolarz
Murray (I worry about losing him on Waivers)

Now, if any of these guys are injured and unuable to start the season we are under the cap and we didn't lose anyone other than Reaves, Timmins or Steeves (all expendable and possibly not likely to get claimed). If everyone is healthy then maybe we make a trade or gamble on Murray on waivers.

Murray could an LTIR candidate to start the year, so could Hakanpaa, possibly both. The obvious trade candidates are one or both of Kampf and Jarnkrok. After nine games we may have cap space and a spot if Cowan doesn't stick.

I guess the point of all of this is that Pacioretty and Lorentz give us flexibility to keep depth and not lose it to waivers. That above list of 23 plus the two PTO's plus any of the three waiver exposed guys plus Minten, Grebenkin, Steeves, Myers and Mermis is the kind of depth we haven't had in the past and could save us assets at the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad