Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty and Lorentz - 1 year deals

rutz

Aug 1, 2022
Honestly, Matthews is our best PKer.

I'd like to add him to the PK though and roll Matthews/Marner and then Kampf/Jarnkrok and then Dewar/McMann or something.

A lot of people on this board (obviously not you), think we should try to win 10-9 because everything I see is removing anyone good defensively.
I don't care who ends up on the Leafs PP and PK as long as they drastically improve both in the playoffs where they have crapped the bed every playoffs.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not a fan of Patches. I think you need to be younger, faster in the playoffs.

Younger and faster wasn't ready to start the opening day. Grebenkin, Minten and Cowan need more time to be ready. Maybe later this year one or more will prove ready... until then, we need decent players, and I think Patches will be good value for the money.

So do I but just curious why Florida let him go being paid so little?
It sounds like he didn't enjoy his time there very much. Healthy scratched for two months straight.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You can teach and improve faceoffs, Dewar is only 25. And in any case Holmberg is cheaper and has a better D-Zone FOW than Kampf, throw him out there then.

View attachment 909257

If the Athletic weren’t dumb and had a card for Holmberg and his stats I’m sure they’d grade out better than Kampf too.

Thank you.
So even his alleged faceoff specialty, he’s actually the worst center statistically on the team. I understand this is dragged down somewhat by being one of the go to PK guys but I doubt it’s by a huge amount. And there are plenty of PP centers he’d faceoff with who aren’t anything special at the faceoff dot.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The problem with using raw faceoff percentages is that it ignores the competition. Kampf most goes head to head with the opponent’s best faceoff guys.

That’s not necessarily true.
You’re assuming that the line he’s checking against, hypothetically their offensive, has a center with their highest faceoff ability which is often not the case.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
You’re assuming that the line he’s checking against, hypothetically their offensive, has a center with their highest faceoff ability which is often not the case.
while not ALWAYS the case, especially at even strength as not every 1or 2C is elite at faceoffs, on PP it could be a different story.

Now I have no stats to back this up apart from just logic based off my head so take it as you will, but usually when a team has a pp at least one of the 5 guys is pretty good on the faceoff, usually two. Most teams have their top two centers, and two best wingers with a dman out there. Take us, we have Tavares who is elite at faceoffs and Matthews who is also very very good at them, most teams have at least 1 good faceoff taker and alot of the time it is going to be used on the pp faceoff

Kampf being apart of the first unit on the pk means he is alway going against the best or second best faceoff taker on that team.

But now thinking about it, those are probably a minority of his faceoffs taken so now I think I confused myself lool

Reactions: Sypher04

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Which you can’t know unless you look… which is why you can’t just use raw percentages.

Even looking at the centre doesn’t give you the needed info. Guys like MacKinnon, who aren’t great in draws, have their wingers to it. Rantanen took a pile of offensive zone draws - probably more than MacKinnon. McDavid often deferred to Draisaitl in the offensive zone.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Pac finished sixth in Selke voting one year, this idea he’s a defensive liability is a bit much.

Not saying he isn't good defensively, but that was the 2014-15 season...

Is Tavares still a top 3 player? He was 3rd in Hart voting that year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Treliving might have serious PTSD with making a trade but he sure doesn't shy away from signing a lot of players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad