Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Oliver Ekman-Larsson (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Knew it wouldn't be long before the "come around" posts began on OEL.

Always had faith he'd be a positive addition. Dude is instantly our 3rd best D. He was a captain of a NHL-like team for years as a young player. Had a couple of injury plagued years on a questionable Canucks team that probably weren't the norm with this guy. Really excited for this version of the team, especially seeing what Berube can do with the D.

Agreed. I was low key hoping we got a gem there and Stolarz is also a candidate for a breakout in net.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
View attachment 915189

Why are people impressed with his offence.

NOT TO MENTION: he gets burned alot pinching.

he scores once every 10 games.

none in the last playoffs. Skates like a Dad now.
Only 108 is the total amount of defenseman with over 100 goals. Seems he's going to be in the top 100 goals scoring defensemen of all time.
Want to see a silly drop off in defensemen scoring Paul Coffee missed 400 by like 1. But his last few years was only a handful. But you may or may not go check him out.
So anyways show us an example of a good active scoring defensemen and I'm sure Reilly is on or around the same pace over there careers. Which probably will only you will only able to pick from about the top 3 scorers to beat his stats by a wide margin.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We havent had a number of former all star 1d level defenders do it as a part of an upswing/ potential partial return to form after a season destroyed by injury.
That's making a distinction based on your perception of what he used to be and a hope that he's going to get back there in his mid-30s; not a distinction in the actual act being used to promote that idea. I don't think it's enough to make the assumption that it represents some big OEL resurgence, especially since he was dropped down when the two players came back, and then dropped below Mikkola to the bottom pairing, and then dropped even lower in minutes in the playoffs. He looks decent so far, so I guess that's what we should focus on. Hopefully he keeps it up.
Leafs have not had a defender do that on a Cup winning team since since expansion.
Neither did Florida. They won the cup with him on the bottom pairing.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
He earned his cheque imo until the latter half of the 2022/2023 season, it was all downhill from there…….
I feel like he's not the one to worry about. Tanev if anyone.
View attachment 915189

Why are people impressed with his offence.

NOT TO MENTION: he gets burned alot pinching.

he scores once every 10 games.

none in the last playoffs. Skates like a Dad now.
On the strange but true side of things. OLE it would be a great example of somebody who scored a lot in 3 years like 59 goals. He has 144 goals. He might be one of the highest recorded defensemen active in the NHL right now.
All right, we're talking about Morgan Riley. Same amount of points.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
OEL is like a different player form the rest of his career, in a good way.
So different from his Vancouver days, better even then with the Panthers.
A surprisingly good sign.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I mean he was like a top 10 defensemen in the league for a few years with Arizona lol
A #1 D-men with the coyotes
Bought out by Vancouver
A #4/#5 on a cup winning team with Florida

Not sure what he is but he looks like at least an elite bottom pair or good 2nd pair.

Consistency will be the big thing for him.

I’ll take a good #4/5 at 3.5 every day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad