Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Oliver Ekman-Larsson (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
IMO yes, as long as you don't give him too big of a role.

He had a rough year in Vancouver in 2022/23, I think it was fair to call him a liability there, but then had a good season with Florida in 2023/24 in a reduced role, where he was certainly a positive contributor. In Florida he was the 5D (5th in TOI/GP in both the regular season and playoffs, behind Montour, Forsling, Ekblad and Mikkola), while in Vancouver he was the 4D, behind Hughes, Hronek and Myers. Fewer minutes and easier minutes in Florida, for sure.
Good sentiment, but even this undersells things.

In Vancouver he was really the #1. Hronek wasn't there yet, and Hughes had Schenn as a baby-sitter, and while he wasn't sheltered per se, he got more offensive usage and less matchup time. OEL faced heavy matchup usage, with Myers as his primary partner, Bear his second. He got hurt at the WC's, and came to training camp cleared to play but having missed the whole offseason, with lingering mobility issues from the foot/ankle. Not surprisingly- he fell flat on his face and had an awful year.

Last year he was Florida's 5- but;
A-he was clearly the guy driving the bottom pair when he was there
B-spent significant time in a matchup role with Forsling, and some more in a mid pair role with Montour

His season averaged out to good/great results in midpair usage

In my mind, expectations are for year 1 are:
1. Complete Collapse - 10%
2. 5D that can drive bottom pair and do spot duty in top 4 (45%)
3. 4D that can make a solid middle pairing as McCabe's equal (40%)
4. 2-3D that drives an awesome middle pairing, better than McCabe, option to pair with Tanev to free Rielly from Matchup minutes (5%)

I like the risk reward. Any year at level 3 or 4 is a massive, massive win on the cap, level 2 is par.

This signing is so much better than Klingberg- very different players in very different situations

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Hopefully not.
Why would you post that?

Morgan Rielly and Company (that includes all the players you love) aren't exactly finding success at the PP. Especially in the playoffs. There is no argument to keep this group together on PP1. They are universally dreadful.

I am not saying that MR is the greatest D. I like him, but OEL has more career PP goals/points than Rielly. He's played most of his career on a lousy Arizona (FKA Phoenix AKA Utah).

Why would you be closed to this idea in the first place?

Reactions: Confucius

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Now put OEL with Matthews Marner Nylander and Tavares
You mean to say Phoenix Coyotes roster isnt the same as the Matthews, Nylander Marner and Tavares? Naaa!

Larsson once scored 21 goals and led the team with 55 points (in 75 gp) with Domi, Doan, Hanzal , Duclair and Boedker as the teams leading forwards!

@Dekes For Days ... not surprised.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Oliver Ekman-Larsson has revealed why he chose Maple Leafs in free agency, and how thrilled he is to be reunited with Brad Treliving and Shane Doan in Toronto.​

There are two primary reasons for OEL opting to sign with the Leafs over other interested suitors. One is that he believes he has a chance to win again in Toronto. The other reason is that he was excited for the opportunity to re-kindle his working relationship with two of his biggest mentors in Brad Treliving and Shane Doan, both of whom joined the Maple Leafs organization last offseason.

"I don't want to sound like I'm sucking up to him, but Brad is one unbelievable person. I don't think Toronto knows how lucky they are to have a guy like that who cares a lot about his surroundings and organization and players. And then the other guy [Doan], he's OK, too. He meant so much to me with what he did for me when I was a kid in Arizona. Playing with a guy like that — I wish everybody had the chance to be around a guy like Doaner."

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Larsson once scored 21 goals and led the team with 55 points (in 75 gp) with Domi, Doan, Hanzal , Duclair and Boedker as the teams leading forwards!
Playing with them must have tanked his PP production, eh? He only ended up with... *checks notes* the most PP points that he's ever gotten in his career. Hmm...

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Oliver Ekman-Larsson has revealed why he chose Maple Leafs in free agency, and how thrilled he is to be reunited with Brad Treliving and Shane Doan in Toronto.​

There are two primary reasons for OEL opting to sign with the Leafs over other interested suitors. One is that he believes he has a chance to win again in Toronto. The other reason is that he was excited for the opportunity to re-kindle his working relationship with two of his biggest mentors in Brad Treliving and Shane Doan, both of whom joined the Maple Leafs organization last offseason.

He doesn't mention winning anywhere.

Why do you lie so much?

Treliving has never shown he has the ability to put together a winning team which is likely why he never mentioned it.

He mentioned that talent here, but not winning.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I sometimes think that people display an unreasonable perfectionism, or they find a reason to be hyper petty.

A lot of these UFA signings are getting the Zach Bogosian/Luke Schenn treatment.

Described as:

No good, too old, too overpaid, 7th D at best, not elite, too injured, not the right fit, etc.

Oh My God

Every season we get this.

I'm not saying we won't have some challenges, or they always overcome their detractors.

People in this thread are really reaching here, and just petty/perfectionist stuff.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I sometimes think that people display an unreasonable perfectionism, or they find a reason to be hyper petty.

A lot of these UFA signings are getting the Zach Bogosian/Luke Schenn treatment.

Described as:

No good, too old, too overpaid, 7th D at best, not elite, too injured, not the right fit, etc.

Oh My God

I'm not saying we won't have some challenges, or they always overcome their detractors.

People in this thread are really reaching here, and just petty/perfectionist stuff.
There's a big gap between garbage and primary PP1 option. I've only seen 1 claimed on this page.

Feels like he's being brought in as a bottom pair puck movers who will likely slot in on PP2. Maybe sub higher when there are struggles, and could drop out of the PP is someone else emerges. If he plays like last year he's a good add, but I wouldn't expect him to be a play or PP driver.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Described as:

Oh My God

Weirdly enough my excitement for the OEL signing is growing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Sounds like someone the Leafs could really really use.

Rielly going to take a back seat this year?

“OEL is one of those perfect Swedes, right? You always hear that,' Ekblad said. You know, one of the best guys in the room always, and never really has a bad day.

"He's always smiling, always fun to chat with. And then you're getting a really poised, great puck-moving defenseman who can skate and under pressure and big moments can score. So he does it all. And it was a blessing to play with him for a year and happy for him moving forward.”

Sep 18, 2009
Love Rielly but excited to see what a D-man with a clapper can do with our sauces from the half wall. Especially quick passes from Nylander and Marner.

Don't know if it's going to be better, but it will be different with the potential for better.
also interested in seeing this
Klingberg 2.0 hopefully not

Reactions: Shooter2x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad