Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I am referencing last year as each player is young, and this is the first time Robertson had significant time in the NHL.

Are you going to comment on how McMann is 27? It is weird to only single out one player out of the two mentioned.

Yes, I am a Dubas fan because I am hoping the Leafs don't waste one of their best young players.

Makes perfect sense, logical like always.
I respect your choice to be a Dubas fan and I also l don’t mind Robertson. I don’t feel like he was given a fair shot and we can blame Dubas’s coach

Reactions: rumman

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I wouldn't call his play in the AHL "amazing". I would say he played "well enough" to be a call-up in the NHL. If he was all these things you're saying he'd show it. With proper 20/20 eye sight you might agree.

His only issue is the sample size.

U23 last season
Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 4.24.41 PM.png

U21 in 21/22
Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 4.26.15 PM.png

Maybe not amazing by your standards, but he is hanging with the top end of his peers.

I respect your choice to be a Dubas fan and I also l don’t mind Robertson. I don’t feel like he was given a fair shot and we can blame Dubas’s coach

I'll ignore the idiotic first part.

Yes, I think Robertson was mismanaged by all involved.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Winner winner chicken dinner……..

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
His only issue is the sample size.

U23 last season
View attachment 905856

U21 in 21/22
View attachment 905857

Maybe not amazing by your standards, but he is hanging with the top end of his peers.

Yes, I think Robertson was mismanaged by all involved.

I really don't think anyone is to blame for his lack of development without pointing first at:

Suddenly, Robertson Began to Suffer Injuries​

In his regular-season debut in January 2021, Robertson suffered the first of several injuries that would hinder his professional development: a knee injury that limited him to six NHL games and 21 American Hockey League (AHL) games with the Toronto Marlies that season. In October 2021, he suffered a fractured fibula playing against the Manitoba Moose. As a result, he only played ten NHL games and 28 AHL games in the 2021-22 season.
Things did not get any better in 2022-23. On Dec. 22, against the Los Angeles Kings, Robertson suffered a season-ending shoulder injury that required surgery.

From the time he first stepped on the ice for the Maple Leafs on Aug. 2, 2020, in the pandemic-delayed NHL playoffs, and his 2023-24 season debut on Nov. 6, 2023, injuries and the pandemic limited Robertson to 31 NHL games and 60 AHL games. In those 31 NHL games, he produced just three goals and four assists. His AHL production was impressive, with 27 goals and 57 points in 60 games, but his injuries and lack of playing time hindered his offensive contributions.

He should be treated like every other player that doesn't have a NMC in their clause.

If a trade makes the team better you make the trade.

That's what Leafs' fans would be after.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
or maybe he's sick of being sent down because the leafs didnt have enough cap room and he was the sacrificial lamb.

Maybe the leafs should have thought about the negative consequences about managing their cap better picking the min wage guys.

I have no problems with what Nick is doing

That is a non issue this year, he cant be sent down without going on waivers, Leafs wont put him on waivers because he would get claimed. Leafs did nothing wrong sending a player down who had options. Forcing a trade when you have zero leverage is stupid and counter productive. According to the CBA he has not earned the right to dictate where he plays.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I really don't think anyone is to blame for his lack of development without pointing first at:

Suddenly, Robertson Began to Suffer Injuries​

In his regular-season debut in January 2021, Robertson suffered the first of several injuries that would hinder his professional development: a knee injury that limited him to six NHL games and 21 American Hockey League (AHL) games with the Toronto Marlies that season. In October 2021, he suffered a fractured fibula playing against the Manitoba Moose. As a result, he only played ten NHL games and 28 AHL games in the 2021-22 season.
Things did not get any better in 2022-23. On Dec. 22, against the Los Angeles Kings, Robertson suffered a season-ending shoulder injury that required surgery.

From the time he first stepped on the ice for the Maple Leafs on Aug. 2, 2020, in the pandemic-delayed NHL playoffs, and his 2023-24 season debut on Nov. 6, 2023, injuries and the pandemic limited Robertson to 31 NHL games and 60 AHL games. In those 31 NHL games, he produced just three goals and four assists. His AHL production was impressive, with 27 goals and 57 points in 60 games, but his injuries and lack of playing time hindered his offensive contributions.

He should be treated like every other player that doesn't have a NMC in their clause.

If a trade makes the team better you make the trade.

That's what Leafs' fans would be after.

I don't disagree with injuries being an issue.

I also think his being waiver exempt hurt him.

But IMO he has nothing left to prove at the AHL level.

I also agree with essentially everything you said.

I don't care if he is on the team, I just want the team to do what is best, which is not wasting an asset.

My biggest argument is people being emotional babies saying "if he won't sign, sit him"... it hurts the team.

That is a non issue this year, he cant be sent down without going on waivers, Leafs wont put him on waivers because he would get claimed. Leafs did nothing wrong sending a player down who had options. Forcing a trade when you have zero leverage is stupid and counter productive. According to the CBA he has not earned the right to dictate where he plays.

People wonder why players request NMCs...

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Perhaps, he’s played in the show, plenty of 2nd/3rd round picks never do……..
injuries, lots of injuries. teams dont just willingly give up 2nds for long shots. I think Robertson has 2nd/3rd line potential. there have been other players just like him that are out of the NHL. he just hasn;t shown enough to warrant giving up a 2nd. or even signing to a offer sheet worth a 2nd.
Holloway cost a 3rd.
I think Robertson would fall under the area where it doesnt cost a pick

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I don't care if he is on the team, I just want the team to do what is best, which is not wasting an asset.

My biggest argument is people being emotional babies saying "if he won't sign, sit him"... it hurts the team.

If he won't sign they don't have many choices, as they can't play him if he is unsigned.

So the option is trading him for a player that makes the team better than he does.

You don't evaluate the return against an empty uniform.

Be like saying if Knies won't sign his next contract then they could trade him for Gadjovich because that would be better than an empty uniform.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No reason to believe Berube won’t be fair yet. It’s a new coach anyway and he has no leverage might as well give it a chance for a year before he decides to just stay home and screw his own development.

If his issue is playing time (I don't think that was what was reported), then ya, I agree.

I think Berube has a long enough coaching career that he can get an idea of what to expect and he can ask around.

I think what is best for Robertson is likely signing with the Leafs, assuming that he is getting playing time, otherwise, Europe may be better.

I also think sitting him if he refuses is dumb.

injuries, lots of injuries. teams dont just willingly give up 2nds for long shots. I think Robertson has 2nd/3rd line potential. there have been other players just like him that are out of the NHL. he just hasn;t shown enough to warrant giving up a 2nd. or even signing to a offer sheet worth a 2nd.
Holloway cost a 3rd.
I think Robertson would fall under the area where it doesnt cost a pick

Robertson is better than Holloway and they are the same age.

If he won't sign they don't have many choices, as they can't play him if he is unsigned.

So the option is trading him for a player that makes the team better than he does.

You don't evaluate the return against an empty uniform.

Be like saying if Knies won't sign his next contract then they could trade him for Gadjovich because that would be better than an empty uniform.

If there is not a trade and he won't sign, there is nothing else to do.

My issue is not with the Leafs, my issue is with posters who are more emotional than our management (thankfully) and calling for him to be sat if he won't sign.

Trading a player who won't sign is like trading Adam Fox for a 3rd... it happens and people evaluate the return... no clue what you're talking about.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If his issue is playing time (I don't think that was what was reported), then ya, I agree.

I think Berube has a long enough coaching career that he can get an idea of what to expect and he can ask around.

I think what is best for Robertson is likely signing with the Leafs, assuming that he is getting playing time, otherwise, Europe may be better.

I also think sitting him if he refuses is dumb.

Robertson is better than Holloway and they are the same age.

If there is not a trade and he won't sign, there is nothing else to do.

My issue is not with the Leafs, my issue is with posters who are more emotional than our management (thankfully) and calling for him to be sat if he won't sign.

Trading a player who won't sign is like trading Adam Fox for a 3rd... it happens and people evaluate the return... no clue what you're talking about.

Adam Fox could have become a free agent and told the Flames.
Flames had no control over Fox.
Double edge sword of the NCAA, longer development time available for the team to decide but the player can play to free agency.
Did the same with Carolina.

Robertson though could do the same, play outside the NHL until he's a free agent.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
This thread has ground to a halt due to a certain poster just beating this topic to death.

All for putting limits on how many times one can post a thread per day.

Will make certain posters choose their words rather than just make threads unreadable.

Thankfully NFL is back.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Not without signing a contract.
Does his agent know what teams are offering and the leafs are choosing not to trade him? If there are offers that make sense I can see why Robertson is still refusing to sign. If there is not you would hope his agent would tell him to sign with the leafs.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
For a guy who’s supposedly unimportant to the team there’s lots of talk, someone so insignificant shouldn’t warrant so much attention………
Maybe he is not getting attention. Of course on this board he would especially with the already quiet off season.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

People wonder why players request NMCs...
I get where you are coming from...but if the return being offered around the league is like a 3rd or 4th round pick do you still just get rid of him to do the right thing? Option 1 is obviously he shows up to camp and earns his spot. If he really wants out, then the next best option is getting a fair return on him that can help us this year. If that isn't out there then to me, letting him sit until he gets it out of his system and shows up is a better option then just placating him at all costs and trading him for nothing. I am going to assume that if a great trade was out there for him at this point it would have happened...so we are down to he signs or he sits to me. Because if we trade him for a 3rd or something stupid we look like idiots. I am okay in losing a future 3rd rounder in this scenario.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I get where you are coming from...but if the return being offered around the league is like a 3rd or 4th round pick do you still just get rid of him to do the right thing? Option 1 is obviously he shows up to camp and earns his spot. If he really wants out, then the next best option is getting a fair return on him that can help us this year. If that isn't out there then to me, letting him sit until he gets it out of his system and shows up is a better option then just placating him at all costs and trading him for nothing. I am going to assume that if a great trade was out there for him at this point it would have happened...so we are down to he signs or he sits to me. Because if we trade him for a 3rd or something stupid we look like idiots. I am okay in losing a future 3rd rounder in this scenario.
For me the minimum i would trade him is for a 2nd. If the best we are getting offered is 3rd then he’s more valuable to the leafs.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad