Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Jani Hakanpaa (2 years, $1.5M AAV) [in progress; medical delay?]

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
:laugh: I'm not really sure what you are trying to get at here.... maybe try and be direct?
Man it's so obvious, you made a comment about this being the best free agent d core in years and I said we got the best d available. Yikes, direct?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brad Treliving mentioned Jani Hakanpaa among the team's signings on July 1, but more than a week later, no official announcement has been made.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported Hakanpaa reached a two-year, $3 million contract, but it appears concern is growing about a knee injury suffered earlier this year.

"That's of course raised red flags that we haven't had confirmation because of the knee injury he had at the end of last season," TSN's Mark Masters said Monday on SC with Jay Onrait. "He didn't play in the playoffs [with the Dallas Stars], he hasn't played since mid-March. So, that's a big question mark.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Leaf Doctors want to take a look at him now that he is a UFA before officially signing him.

Right now it's a handshake agreement after looking over the paperwork from his doctors I assume.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Man it's so obvious, you made a comment about this being the best free agent d core in years and I said we got the best d available. Yikes, direct?

That’s the thing. I didn’t say what you are suggesting at all.

I said this. and yet the "experts" called it one of the best Free Agency classes for D in many years... and it was... Just in case this is hard to understand... the available pool of Free Agent D, was believed to be the best in many years. That is not in any way reflective of who the Leafs signed, or who our D core is. This would have been obvious, having read the posts it was responding to, for context.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brad Treliving mentioned Jani Hakanpaa among the team's signings on July 1, but more than a week later, no official announcement has been made.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported Hakanpaa reached a two-year, $3 million contract, but it appears concern is growing about a knee injury suffered earlier this year.

"That's of course raised red flags that we haven't had confirmation because of the knee injury he had at the end of last season," TSN's Mark Masters said Monday on SC with Jay Onrait. "He didn't play in the playoffs [with the Dallas Stars], he hasn't played since mid-March. So, that's a big question mark."

"If he is able to play, and they make that signing official, he'll help a penalty kill that was 23rd overall last season and really killed them early in that playoff series against Boston."

The 32-year-old Hakanpaa had 10 goals and 10 assists in 64 games with the Stars last season prior to the injury, averaging 18:38 of ice time. Stars general manager Jim Nill confirmed after the season that Hakanpaa had an arthroscopic procedure on his knee, but was not expected to require any additional surgeries.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I penciled him in to that spot for the next season because I don't see Lilly still being here by next year
Who would you trade Liljegren for that would fill the puck moving RHD spot? Because trading him just opens up a hole in the lineup that has to be filled immediately.

They just signed him to a multi year contract.

The only way I see Lilly being moved is if it’s part of a larger Marner trade involving big pieces on both sides.

Reactions: uncleben

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Who would you trade Liljegren for that would fill the puck moving RHD spot? Because trading him just opens up a hole in the lineup that has to be filled immediately.

They just signed him to a multi year contract.

The only way I see Lilly being moved is if it’s part of a larger Marner trade involving big pieces on both sides.
Lily's value is not great right now. We are better off letting Berube work with him than throwing him away. I still remember many thought Steen was too weak to be effective and Stralman. He will be worth more next year, especially at TD.

Reactions: Da Mash

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Because they botched the rebuild they don’t have the resources to fill in the holes that are likely created when you make a Marner trade.
They’ll screw it up more continuing the same mistake. They have decent forward depth now, they will be fine without him and will be able to fill that cap space no problem.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They’ll screw it up more continuing the same mistake. They have decent forward depth now, they will be fine without him and will be able to fill that cap space no problem.
Do they have decent forward depth? The center position is kind of weak

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Do they have decent forward depth? The center position is kind of weak
We have scrimped on defense and loaded up front for years. The Leafs are a winger factory. Now we are capped out with Robertson wanting out. So, yeah we will be thin but younger till TD unless they trade Marner. It looks less likely they will now. If Marner wants that huge payday he better see things Berubes way and have a great year. I want 3 even lines but the only way that happens is if Cowan, Minten and Grebs come on hard.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We have scrimped on defense and loaded up front for years. The Leafs are a winger factory. Now we are capped out with Robertson wanting out. So, yeah we will be thin but younger till TD unless they trade Marner. It looks less likely they will now. If Marner wants that huge payday he better see things Berubes way and have a great year. I want 3 even lines but the only way that happens is if Cowan, Minten and Grebs come on hard.

The worst position to be good at developing. We are good at that. Developing D is where the value is at. C as well but they usually just come top 15 1st rd. D is where the money is at.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They’re built to rely on the core and the core doesn’t seem like it’s interested in doing what it takes to win in the playoffs.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
If you're an agent and don't call up Treliving to rip him off you're not doing your job.

It boggles my mind he signed a guy so injured he might never play for the team. It's pretty hard to defend this. Treliving left Calgary a mess and proved here already his acquisitions remain questionable at best.

When they fired Dubas the Leafs cut off the foot in attempt to save the leg.

Only to attach a boat anchor where the foot once was. Treliving signing Hakanpaa as a priority is a bigger letdown than the last time I got naked. Nothing exciting happened then either.

It's stuff like this that shows just how incompetent Treliving is at his job.

This is almost as bad as Dubas trading for an injured Foligno. Maybe worse because the precedent was already set. Nothing is more humiliating than to see idiots succeed where we have failed.

Fortunately that isn't a concern for the fans of Leafs Nation.

Reactions: Captain34

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So we are at the point where I think we need to ask the question, do we want the player?

OR Do we want the cap space?

Right now according to Puck Pedia they have 955K, that includes Hakanpaa, my understanding is that the contract has not been offically registered with the league, So if the signing falls through and honestly at this point I'm starting to think it will, all of a sudden they have just under 2.5 million in space and that's before Murray and Timmins get sent down.

Obviously I want Hakanpaa to play again but if it falls through the Leafs would be in a solid cap situation.

Up to almost 4.5 million in space once you include waiving Timmins and Murray.

Even after signing Robertson and Dewar you'd still have 2-2.5 million left over.

They'd be in a solid cap situation going into the season, and they'd have PLENTY of room for deadline additions.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
So we are at the point where I think we need to ask the question, do we want the player?

OR Do we want the cap space?

Right now according to Puck Pedia they have 955K, that includes Hakanpaa, my understanding is that the contract has not been offically registered with the league, So if the signing falls through and honestly at this point I'm starting to think it will, all of a sudden they have just under 2.5 million in space and that's before Murray and Timmins get sent down.

Obviously I want Hakanpaa to play again but if it falls through the Leafs would be in a solid cap situation.

Up to almost 4.5 million in space once you include waiving Timmins and Murray.

Even after signing Robertson and Dewar you'd still have 2-2.5 million left over.

They'd be in a solid cap situation going into the season, and they'd have PLENTY of room for deadline additions.

Both parties signed the contract did they not?

If it was signed under full disclosure of Hakanpaa's medical condition are the Leafs not still bound by it? Just because it's not registered doesn't mean they don't have a legal right to fullfill it. I can't imagine the NHLPA would allow Hakanpaa to get screwed out of a $3M contract he signed in good faith.

Are they really able to walk away because the GM was so stupid he signed a player too hurt to play?

Reactions: Helistin

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

If it was signed under full disclosure of Hakanpaa's medical condition are the Leafs not still bound by it? Just because it's not registered doesn't mean they don't have a legal right to fullfill it. I can't imagine the NHLPA would allow Hakanpaa to get screwed out of a $3M contract he signed in good faith.

Are they really able to walk away because the GM was so stupid he signed a player too hurt to play?

Supposedly they have an agreement but It's not registered with the NHL, and I believe that because the Leafs never actually announced it.

And last time I checked they had not added him to their roster on their website, all the other signings were there but not Hakanpaa.

I don't think he's offically signed.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Supposedly they have an agreement but It's not registered with the NHL, and I believe that because the Leafs never actually announced it.

And last time I checked they had not added him to their roster on their website, all the other signings were there but not Hakanpaa.

I don't think he's offically signed.

So it's a handshake deal only?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So it's a handshake deal only?

Deals have to be registered with the NHL before they are official so even if his name is on a contract if he can't pass a physical the deal can fall apart, given that the Leafs haven't announced the signing 10 days after free agency I don't think he's passed the physical.

Keep in mind John Klingberg passed a physical.

I don't think Hakanpaa has, and I'm starting to think he can't

Reactions: TMLBlueandWhite

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

1. I'm sure that part of the "terms" of the NHL SPC are that it must be registered / approved with the league to be considered valid. Otherwise, a team could sign a 17-year deal and then the player gets to sue the team when the league invalidates it.

2. Think about the logisitcs of July 1 for a moment. Money is flying around. Teams are on average, signing 3-4 players each. Players, located all over the world, agreeing to these things.

It's likely, that very few actual contracts are signed on July 1st, but rather, "handshake" agreements are made over the phone, and the actual paperwork dealt with in the day or two after when the player can get to a printer, etc. It's why you often hear "Player X has agreed to terms"

Teams also get a "medical exam" as part of the signing process... which would almost certianly allow them to back out of a contract. Not all of these guys can get in to see a team doctor on July 1. Hakanpaa presumably lives in Dallas or Finland.... Toronto's Doctor presumably lives in Toronto.

As for how this plays out, I think it's obvious that the Leafs want Hakanpaa, and there's some organizational belief that they can fix his knee. At some point over the summer, they'll get him in for a battery of tests / experts... and figure out whether they're going to put pen to paper and register the contract, or let him pursue his career with another organization.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It is probably just better to run Benoit as the #6 if Hakanpaa has potential knee issues.

Or even better yet, give Timmins time to see how he does there (can split with Benoit), I know "ew gross, a D that can make a pass and has some offensive ability.", but we could use it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad