Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Chris Tanev (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
They likely do. It wouldn't change our depth or our desire to utilize our defensively-strong top RD in a shutdown pairing. Also, Schenn was great for us.

There’s a chance they do still go out and acquire them, but but my main point is that they wouldn’t stick either of them immediately on the top pairing to play with our best D-man.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
At d if you cant play physical, you absolutly need speed to defend. If taking 1/2 more to be at your position and your can't play physical. Physical game help you to win some time. I give you an exenple... You're on the rush, you reach blue line, trying to attavk middle of the ice and get hit pretty hard... Next time do you think, you will react the same way or thinking a little longer and maybe hesitate? Maybe stay a little more on the board and taking 1,2 for second to attack the D. so physicality help to win time. If you dont play physical what do you think will happen, they will conti u to attack him over and over again. He become to slow to follow them and will never slow you down, so you can do every thing you want and just get free entry zone all the time. Thats why brodie game declining much more faster than tanev.
There is more to defending than just physicality and speed, Players use a wide array of skills and attributes to be successful. and neither of the referenced players are overly reliant on speed. Physicality also does not have the impact you're claiming on attacking players. That is a myth. In fact, if a player is defending rushes with physicality and trying to lay big hits, loss of speed could affect them even more, as they not only require speed to connect on those hits, but to get back in position afterwards. Somebody who maintains good positioning isn't going to need those quick adjustments as often. There is quite a bit of historical evidence that physically-reliant players tend to break down earlier. Brodie's struggles last year weren't even about speed. They were seemingly about his catastrophic situation off-ice getting in his head - which is what he actually relies on the most.
There’s a chance they do still go out and acquire them, but but my main point is that they wouldn’t stick either of them immediately on the top pairing to play with our best D-man.
They likely would. Which defensively-strong top RD we got wouldn't change that they wanted to utilize them in a strong shutdown pairing.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
There is more to defending than just physicality and speed, Players use a wide array of skills and attributes to be successful. and neither of the referenced players are overly reliant on speed. Physicality also does not have the impact you're claiming on attacking players. That is a myth. In fact, if a player is defending rushes with physicality and trying to lay big hits, loss of speed could affect them even more, as they not only require speed to connect on those hits, but to get back in position afterwards. Somebody who maintains good positioning isn't going to need those quick adjustments as often. There is quite a bit of historical evidence that physically-reliant players tend to break down earlier. Brodie's struggles last year weren't even about speed. They were seemingly about his catastrophic situation off-ice getting in his head - which is what he actually relies on the most.

They likely would. Which defensively-strong top RD we got wouldn't change that they wanted to utilize them in a strong shutdown pairing.

Playing physical doesn't mean going for the big hit every time but been able to doing it at key time. It was what Hainsey did by exemple.

Tanev hockey IQ is even bigger than brodie. He's anticipate the game pretty well and hes able to positionning himself on position to make a play...

Brodie didn't struggling just last season... 2 year ago in playoff, he was not pretty good and they attacked him constantly

Reactions: thewave

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Playing physical doesn't mean going for the big hit every time but been able to doing it at key time. It was what Hainsey did by exemple.
Tanev hockey IQ is even bigger than brodie. He's anticipate the game pretty well and hes able to positionning himself on position to make a play...
Brodie didn't struggling just last season... 2 year ago in playoff, he was not pretty good and they attacked him constantly
I know it doesn't mean they always go for the big hit. I was using your example, and showing how physical players utilize speed as well.
Tanev's hockey IQ is fine, but it is not better than Brodie's. Brodie played well for us in 2022-2023.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Does anyone believe there is any expectation he'll be around for all 6?

League said they are not going to do anything to address the inequity between teams with regards to taxation. Said it was too complicated so it is up to the teams to address those inequities.

My guess is there is only surface concern from the league about these "unable to complete" contracts.

Paraphrase the league's response, "Sucks to be you. Deal with it."
I don't expect him to play more than 4 seasons. This contract is absolutely idiotic

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I know it doesn't mean they always go for the big hit. I was using your example, and showing how physical players utilize speed as well.
Tanev's hockey IQ is fine, but it is not better than Brodie's. Brodie played well for us in 2022-2023.

Tanev IQ is the reason why he had been amount best shutdown d in the league. If it would be only for his ability/skill, he would never had any NHL career. Tanev IQ is elite. You will not see a lot of time tanev get caught out of position because hes anticipating the play extremely well, will always be on passing lane/shooting lane

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Anyone referring to Tanev as a "physicality-reliant player" knows pretty well nothing about the player at all.

His defensive positioning / awareness is next level. The physical play is an added bonus.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

and just funny i just watch a video of jt and rielly saying how great tanev hockey IQ is...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Tanev IQ is the reason why he had been amount best shutdown d in the league. If it would be only for his ability/skill, he would never had any NHL career. Tanev IQ is elite. You will not see a lot of time tanev get caught out of position because hes anticipating the play extremely well, will always be on passing lane/shooting lane
and just funny i just watch a video of jt and rielly saying how great tanev hockey IQ is...
Nobody said Tanev had poor hockey IQ. You were just incorrect when diminishing another player's strong hockey IQ in the process.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Nobody said Tanev had poor hockey IQ. You were just incorrect when diminishing another player's strong hockey IQ in the process.

i never said Brodie had a low Hockey IQ, (he actually having a good one), but i just say than Tanev have an higher hockey IQ ( who had elite hockey IQ)

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
i never said Brodie had a low Hockey IQ, (he actually having a good one), but i just say than Tanev have an higher hockey IQ ( who had elite hockey IQ)

Tanev is more physically gifted, and Brodie has a higher hockey IQ.

Brodie was also terrible in recent years, Tanev was good.

I don't think Tanev is an upgrade on Brodie 3 years ago, but I think he is a big upgrade from last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad