Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Chris Tanev (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's not that Tanev is so much better defensively than Brodie, it's that Brodie is soft and Tanev isn't. He brings the same kind of game but won't back down and will take a hit
I should have known it was some silly thing like a "soft" argument. :laugh: Tanev was a good player, and hopefully he has years left in him before losing it. We don't need to talk him up bigger than he is, or smear past players who played great for this team.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A previous compare between the two from the National Hockey League Talk.

1726529176765.png

Reactions: HockeyVirus

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I should have known it was some silly thing like a "soft" argument. :laugh: Tanev was a good player, and hopefully he has years left in him before losing it. We don't need to talk him up bigger than he is, or smear past players who played great for this team.

Be honest, have you watched Tanev? If you haven't, I think in a few months from now you will be a big fan and agree with me

Reactions: CincoHolio

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Be honest, have you watched Tanev? If you haven't, I think in a few months from now you will be a big fan and agree with me
I've seen a lot of Tanev, and am already a fan. That doesn't have to come with diminishing Brodie. I worry about how much people have actually seen him as well. Hopefully built up hype based on playstyle and a few games with Rielly a decade ago aren't setting people up for disappointment.

Reactions: Insidefi

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

View attachment 907379

Not a perfect comparison but Tanev is probably closer to Muzzin than Brodie, and you'd pair him with a guy like Brodie.

Reactions: arso40

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

View attachment 907379

Brodie was a Leaf at this point... this is actually a Brodie win.

Also, just from that thread too... why does everyone think Tanev is big?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Brodie was good for a while with the Leafs.

Perhaps the Hawks will get the recovered Brodie, but at their stage it doesn't matter.

I don't care how Brodie is now and he was terrible last year, but Brodie was a great D for most of his time here and at the time of the poll was likely better, but at least comparable.

Tanev is better than whatever last year's version of Brodie was and if that continues he will be better this year.

Any poll that happens on the main board that involves a Leafs, expect them to lose, that is all I was saying... that place hates Leafs players.

Which player would you take, contracts included?

Stutzle: 78 GP 39 G 51 A 90 points, 8 years x 8.350 million beyond this year

Matthews: 74 GP 40 G 45 A 85 points, 4 years x 13.25 million beyond this year.

Matthews lost this poll...

Reactions: banks and Insidefi

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I've seen a lot of Tanev, and am already a fan. That doesn't have to come with diminishing Brodie. I worry about how much people have actually seen him as well. Hopefully built up hype based on playstyle and a few games with Rielly a decade ago aren't setting people up for disappointment.

Brodie was very solid for us the first few years and I am expecting a similar decline with Tanev. A good 1.5-3 years and then steadily becoming more and more unplayable. But Brodie was really soft around our net. Tanev is also a better puck mover

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't care how Brodie is now and he was terrible last year, but Brodie was a great D for most of his time here and at the time of the poll was likely better, but at least comparable.

Tanev is better than whatever last year's version of Brodie was and if that continues he will be better this year.

Any poll that happens on the main board that involves a Leafs, expect them to lose, that is all I was saying... that place hates Leafs players.

Matthews lost this poll...

Brodie was never great, except perhaps in the modern term where everything good is great?

Great is Salming, Horton, you know what I mean.

Not sure I'd even put him with Yushkevich, Turnbull, Iafrate (entertainment level great).

Maybe Dave Ellett category?

Depends on the reason for the Poll.
Matthews >> Stutzle

But what if the thought process is my team is not a contender, and won't be a contender for a few years.

Stutzle: 78 GP 39 G 51 A 90 points, 8 years x 8.350 million beyond this year
Matthews: 74 GP 40 G 45 A 85 points, 4 years x 13.25 million beyond this year.

Kind of like the discussions on the Leafs board when some talk about getting rid of the marner contract.

Remove the names and ask:
Would you rather
pay 13.25mm * 4 years, for 40 goals and 85 points,
or
pay 8.35mm * 8 years for 39 goals and 90 points.

Kind of like political polling where the poll is paid for by "agents", and you know they're going to skew the results. Charney Research » The Top 10 Ways to Get Misleading Poll Results

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Good and bad baked in, the T.J. Brodie era doesn't really warrant much of an extended look.
Not a perfect comparison but Tanev is probably closer to Muzzin than Brodie, and you'd pair him with a guy like Brodie.
Tanev is much, much, much closer to Brodie than Muzzin. The hope is that Tanev will be as good for us as Brodie was.
But Brodie was really soft around our net. Tanev is also a better puck mover
Neither are soft, and neither are generating much offense. Each have things that they are better at, but they've been quite similar overall.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: arso40

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Tanev is much, much, much closer to Brodie than Muzzin. The hope is that Tanev will be as good for us as Brodie was.

Neither are soft, and neither are generating much offense. Each have things that they are better at, but they've been quite similar overall.

Tanev has always been the better player by a good margin but yes Brodie was pretty darn good for us before this past year and people should definitely remember that

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd like to see 1 more piece added at the deadline, preferably somebody with term.

But I like a top 3 of Rielly, Tanev, McCabe, if they can add a Fowler, or Conor Murphy or Rasmus Andersson to that at the deadline that top 4 is set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad