Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #125 - Dmytro Timashov - LW/RW - UKR 5' 9" 192 QMJHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Yeah. I know there was very likely optimism right after Burke drafts too, but there was also a fair amount of pessimism (and rightfully so) surrounding picks like Biggs and Devane. I don't see any need to draft 3rd line grinder types or 5/6 defensemen in the first 2 rounds because there's so much boom-bust upside to pick from most drafts.

I think the optimism during his drafts was over value picks like Percy/Finn/Brown, and the Swede picks. Meanwhile, yeah, the pessimism was around the thugs taken a round too early.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I gotta admit I'm not really comfortable with how small we are.

I get that taking one or two smallers guys here and there is smart but this is getting ridiculous

Did you see how much he weighs though? Looks like he's really solid for his height

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
this guy is awesome just oozes skill, as for the 5'9 thing honestly when i was watching him i didn't think he was that short lol. however there are moments where he gets to himself make silly mistakes, as most offensive wingers his defensive side at times causes silly turnovers.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
this guy is awesome just oozes skill, as for the 5'9 thing honestly when i was watching him i didn't think he was that short lol. however there are moments where he gets to himself make silly mistakes, as most offensive wingers his defensive side at times causes silly turnovers.

I thought the same thing. I would have guessed 5'10". Solid on his skates, I like the pick.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Odds are only 1 or 2 guys from this draft will have an NHL career anyway. We aren't actually making our team small here.

Bingo ! I believe Hunter's philosophy is to draft a bunch of highly skilled big point producers with the hopes that one or two of them may become big stars. Much better than what we had under the old regime where the ceiling on our drafted players was that they could become 3rd liners. Love what Hunter is doing here.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I like this pick. We have to add talented young players, not everyone pans out, but we have to risk.

Hopefully we'll get some good goalscorer that will play with Tymashov, he seems like extremely talented passer.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Him and Nylander are good friends.

Learned hockey through the Swedish development model.

Interestingly, Timashov, Andreas Johnson and William Nylander all choose to wear #88.

Looks like Pat Kane has made his impression on the next wave of undersized talents coming out of Sweden. :laugh:

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars

Interestingly, Timashov, Andreas Johnson and William Nylander all choose to wear #88.

Looks like Pat Kane has made his impression on the next wave of undersized talents coming out of Sweden. :laugh:

that's a funny observation, I am super stoked with this pick aswell almost every player we chose from my view is a swing for the fences player with very high iq, hoping these guys grow a few inches so the rest of the league doesn't dub our team as smurfs like i've seen on some boards already. These late picks are going to surprise leaf nation in a big way!

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario

Konecny is 5'9 and everybody wanted him at #24. Nothing wrong with taking a shorter guy in the 5th round.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Kylington, the swedish d who fell at the draft also had 88
Power of Kane

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
I have watched Timashov play a few times against the Mooseheads.
He's a great player, was always one of the most dangerous Remparts on the ice, very elusive with the puck and has a good eye for the pass.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The more I read about this guy, the more I like...

"This season, what was most impressive about Timashov's campaign was his ability to score at even strength. Timashov finished first among all QMJHL-bred draft prospects in even strength points per game this season (0.97), besting Timo Meier and Evgeny Svechnikov with an astonishing 64 even strength points, 12 more than his closest counterpart."

Clearly his height was the only thing dropping him down. Speed, skills, smarts, he has it all. He has a thick lower body so he is not as "small" as it sounds. First year on North American ice too.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Here's an interview from last September to know more about Dmytro Timashov.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/do...raccourci-de-5000-km-pour-dmytro-timashov.php

A 5000 km shortcut for Dmytro Timashov

His goal is to play in the NHL. And to achieve it, he felt that junior hockey could send him there faster. After Ukraine, Russia and Sweden, Dmytro Timashov now adds Canada to his life itinerary. The new European player of the Quebec Remparts feels already comfortable in this city that reminds him of the Swedish capital!

"This is my first time in Quebec, I think it looks a lot like Stockholm," says Timashov about his home for the next months. Although more than 5000 km separate the two cities, Dima (short for Dmytro) should not miss his relatives too much since he was already living by himself in an apartment in the last two years despite his young age.

"I'm used to being away from home. In Sweden, I have been away from home for two years to play hockey. It did not bother my mother too, because I was only an hour flight and five hours by car, but now I'm much further. We talk almost every day since I arrived, "says the hockey player who will live with a billet family in Quebec.

Trilingual, Timashov is fluent in Russia because of his parents, he learned Swedish when he moved to the country and he is doing very well in English.

Today he considers himself a Swedish player, "since I have played for the country in several international games." But when he was born, nothing predestined him to wear the yellow and blue Tre Kronor.

Dmytro was born in Ukraine, from a Russian father and a Ukrainian mother. Upon the separation of his parents, when he was a year old, he grew up in Kirovograd and regularly visited his father in Moscow. For him, hockey is not part of his childhood memories.

"I never played hockey in Ukraine nor in Moscow. Where I lived, there was no team, organized hockey was taking place too far, "he recalls about his home town located 250 km southeast of Kiev, who also saw born the pursuit silver medalist (cycling) at the 2000 Olympic Games, Alexander Symonenko.

Then his life would take a different direction at the age of seven when his mother got a job in Sweden and immigrated in the Scandinavian country, where she has since rebuilt her life in the suburbs of Stockholm. Dmytro (pronounced Dimitrue) now has a six years old half-brother named Christian.

The son of a wrestling champion

Like any child his age, Timashov played several sports in his youth, like Greco-Roman wrestling and soccer. Although his father, Sasha, is a former Russian national wrestling champion, hockey prevailed in his heart. He lined up for the organization of Djugardens until he joined the Gymnasium Hockey program in Ornskoldvisk, which hosts the famous MODO club where Peter Forsberg came out and the Sedin twins, to name a few.

He played in the Super Elite League (junior level), stacking up to 41 points (12 goals) in 40 games in 2013-2014. He also played three games in the first division. For three years, he played more than twenty games at different levels of the national team. He could have played with MODO this season, but the QMJHL shortcut seemed more beneficial to him for his career.

"I have thought for some time to come and play in Canada. The chance to play on the North American small ice can better prepare myself to play in the NHL one day, "he says of his decision to continue his career with the Remparts.

Spied on the Web

Over the years, Dmytro Timashov participated in several international tournaments across Europe. In addition to Sweden, he played in Finland, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Russia. He also played in Canada previously, where Sweden won the U17 in Victoriaville. That's where Quebec's head coach and general manager saw him for the first time. The Remparts GM watched several games of Timashov on the Web. "The games of the super elite league were available through the Internet, I probably watched a dozen. What impressed me most in his case, it was his ability to properly complete the top players who moved with him, "said the coach, who also pointed out his skating and his ability to read the game as his strengths.

In the eyes of Boucher, Timashov has the potential to be in the top 6 of the Remparts offense. "He still has much to learn, but he is ready to play his best. It was important to find a high caliber player and we are pleased to have been able to get him at the 95th rank [64th player selected]". They had shaken hands at the draft, but there is always a risk because it is still a draft. "At this spot, he was our plan A. "

"I would not have left Sweden if I had been drafted by another team, Quebec was the only place I wanted to go, particularly because of the Memorial Cup, "said Timashov who's expected to spend the next two seasons with the Remparts.

Hockey before politics

"I just want to have fun playing hockey," answers Dmytro Timashov who doesn't want to talk about international politics. The conflict between Ukraine and Russia do not affect him. "I do not know what is happening there, my mother is more interested than me. Personally, my roots are Ukrainian and Russian, but most of my [school] education is Swedish, "said the young man who will celebrate his 18th birthday on October 1st.

Dmytro can't name former NHL hockey players born in Ukraine. Some of them have had great careers, like Peter Bondra, Nikolai Khabibulin, Alexei Zhitnik, Dmitry Khristich and others, but all these players have in common to have played when the country was still within the USSR. Even if he already is a Swedish citizen, he would like to get his Russian passport. Since his father is from Moscow, it would be easier for him to travel if the opportunity came up.

A few examples to follow ...

When he was told by his agent that Remparts were interested in drafting him, two names came up to him, fellow Swede who played three years with Quebec, Nick Sorensen, although he has never talked to him.

"I also knew it was the place where [Alexander] Radulov played," he said, letting out a "oh yeah, that's right" when we talked about Patrick Roy.

Timashov dreamed of crossing the Atlantic Ocean for some time. He had talked with William Nylander, his teammate with MODO. Born in Calgary, the son of former NHL player Michael Nylander had spoken positively of Canadian junior hockey, even if he was developed in Sweden.

"He told me that I would become a better player. I feel that my game time will get better here than in Sweden. At home, we drive on four lines regardless of the score or the time remaining to play. Here, we will do everything to get the tying goal in the third period, "said the forward who scored 21 goals and 63 points in 78 games in the Super Elite League (junior) in two years with Djugardens and MODO.

In Sweden, Timashov joined the program Gymnasium Hockey MODO, where he could both develop on the ice and continue his studies. There, he played with Nylander (8th overall pick by Toronto) and Adrian Kempe (29th overall pick by Los Angeles), two first-round picks in the most recent NHL draft.

Pass first

"I could play in the Junior World Cup, which takes place in Toronto and Montreal. Apart from winning the Memorial Cup with the Remparts, this is one of my main goals, just like [Anthony] Duclair for Canada and [Adam] Erne for the United States. They are really talented. I'm excited to see them, they are already drafted and are among the best players in the League. In practices, I try to follow them. They are fine examples to achieve my goal. "

Timashov has always been more a playmaker than a scorer, but he says he knows where the net is. When he landed in Quebec a month ago, he expected the play to be equivalent to the super elite league in Sweden. "It is faster and more offensive here, you have to anticipate the play. At first I thought it was too fast for me, but I adapted quickly and I already feel more comfortable. "

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
More likely because Nylander may not be available for the WJC and they want to try out players who definitely will be available in this summer tournament in the US. But you are right: if Nylander is available, he is indeed a lock.

It may be more significant that Lindgren is not on the defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad