Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #125 - Dmytro Timashov - LW/RW - UKR 5' 9" 192 QMJHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Good pick. Tymashov is one of the most skilled players in this draft. He's got next to no body strength. His biggest strength, as far as I'm concerned, is his way to slow down the play in the offensive zone. He can really create offensively. Great playmaker.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I gotta admit I'm not really comfortable with how small we are.

I get that taking one or two smallers guys here and there is smart but this is getting ridiculous

This late in the draft, I wouldn't even really account for size. If you can get a contributor he go for it. It's not like all these guys are ever going to even make the team. And it's not like this draft establishes what our team will be going forward, this is at minimum a five year project, so we got lots of time to get some size as well.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Leafs have good size up the middle with Gauthier, Verhaeghe and Toninato. Guess they were looking to fill out the wings with speed and skill.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I gotta admit I'm not really comfortable with how small we are.

I get that taking one or two smallers guys here and there is smart but this is getting ridiculous

It's our team when we compete that needs to have a mixture, not our group of players drafted this year.

Granted, right now our prospect pool is looking small and that should ideally be looked at going forward.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
As much as I hate to admit it, Stefanovich is also what came to mind for me.

But whatever. Another High-Risk/High-Reward Pick. Don't have a problem with it this late in the draft.

I'm sure Ukrainians in Toronto will be very happy with this pick.

A couple points :

He and Stefanovich are totally different players. Stefanovich was a big, tall and strong goalscorer whos' main attribute, in the end, was a great wrist shot. Didn't give much effort.

Here you have a small but crafty playmaker. Gives a good effort despite his size.
He's not Ukrainian, he's a swede of Ukrainian parents.

91Kadri91*

screen-shot-2015-05-30-at-6-57-53-pm.png

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
He's a pass-first player, not without reason because he's an amazing passer, but it does get a bit ridiculous at times, needs to shoot more. He's not a wrecking ball but he has an edge. Stefanovich isn't remotely a good comparison. Skating is fine, needs to get better for the NHL but it's not that far off, no reasons to be anxious on that point, and in terms of agility it's actually a strong point. It wouldn't be the first time I make this prediction and be proven wrong, but he could very well be one of the best players in the Q next year. He's not the worst defensive player ever witnessed, but it's a weakness.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Keep us updated on him this year.

What will his role be in Quebec next year ?

Quebec went all out for the Memorial Cup this year, and while I don't think they'll be terrible next year, they won't be too good either. I expect Timashov will be one of the go-to guys.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Leafs have good size up the middle with Gauthier, Verhaeghe and Toninato. Guess they were looking to fill out the wings with speed and skill.r

These guy all project to be 3/4th liners if they reach their potential, and with the exception of Gauthier unlikely to have any impact in the NHL or even make it.
Our top prospects are all undersized. Considering Kadri is also undersized and so easily pushed off the puck, I don't see how this collection of small skilled players can play together and also am skeptical that any of them can play C, and if they do it will be extemely tough to match up the top C's in the league.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
People need to understand that the guys we're picking this year are gone in the first round if they were 6'0" +

They simply wouldn't be available to us. One or two or maybe three of them could turn out to be stars and perhaps one or two or three of them hit growth spurts. Point is, this kind of gamebreaking skill is worth a gamble and these tend to be the players you look back on and wonder how he went so late.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
You guys are saying every pick is a steal lol

Well, in years past, this board was hating on the Burke big goon picks like Devane and Biggs...even Gauthier...and proved to be right. I think the optimism is warranted now.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Well, in years past, this board was hating on the Burke big goon picks like Devane and Biggs...even Gauthier...and proved to be right. I think the optimism is warranted now.

Yeah. I know there was very likely optimism right after Burke drafts too, but there was also a fair amount of pessimism (and rightfully so) surrounding picks like Biggs and Devane. I don't see any need to draft 3rd line grinder types or 5/6 defensemen in the first 2 rounds because there's so much boom-bust upside to pick from most drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad