Post-Game Talk: Leafs of Olde get stomped by bottom feeder : 6-2 CLB

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Gee, it's almost like all teams have bad games, and it was never about coaching.
Pretty sure the coaching change is to seek for success in the post-season. The regular seasons overall have been good.

So it's a little quick to say it's not about coaching.

That being said, I am not sold that this core can get it done regardless of the coach (since they are on their third!).

This game looked eerily similar to all other no-shows we have seen in the past against a weaker opponent. I guess the good thing is that the coach still has lots to work on with this group (which can't be surprising).

horner

May 22, 2007
They played great in there last b2b .
4 games 5 night and an emotional win over TBay there best games in forever.
There next game is the game where they will show what type of team we have .

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Pretty sure the coaching change is to seek for success in the post-season. The regular seasons overall have been good. So it's a little quick to say it's not about coaching.
People liked to pretend that games like this - in the regular season - were about the coach. They weren't. This is just the ups and downs that all teams experience.

Reactions: wingman75

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If that's not realistic, then when the hell are they going to make a run? When the core is all 30, and making absurd money? So if it's not realistic now, then it will never be. The ship might have sailed then on this core. Remember, teams stop making runs once their core gets expensive. I wouldn't even begin negotiating with Marner unless he and the rest of them lead this team far this spring.
Yup. People keep pointing to Ovechkin and saying "you're not considered winners until you win" and so on but the fact that WSH finally won doesn't mean dick in terms of this team.

Agree 100% on Marner. Unless he shows in the playoffs that he's changed, locking him in for another long term deal is insanity.
I think you are placing too much emphasis on Stolartz and not enough on the fact that the Leafs have generally outplayed the opposition in every game other than last night's game. But no, they aren't going to finish 82-0, and games like last night happen.
After last night, they aren't finishing 80-2 either. ;)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Last night was some weird ass voodoo shit happening. My fantasy team didn't like it either...

Leafs had a statement game vs TBL. They obviously went all out. They wanted that W because they thought with the backup and lesser team they would have a better chance to win going about it that way.

Hildebomb basically deflated them off the hop by being bad. What happened happened and the knuckle heads around and about are actually using the game as some indicator.

B2B that didn't go well who the freak cares we aren't even 10 games in.

Reactions: Sypher04

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Leafs had a statement game vs TBL. They obviously went all out. They wanted that W because they thought with the backup and lesser team they would have a better chance to win going about it that way.

Hildebomb basically deflated them off the hop by being bad. What happened happened and the knuckle heads around and about are actually using the game as some indicator.

B2B that didn't go well who the freak cares we aren't even 10 games in.
Not just that, Wild destroyed the Panthers, Dallas lost to Buffalo, sens shutout the Utah Mormans, Saros shutout the Bruins (with him on my bench 😂)
Was just a wild night all around . 8-5 Tampa and Devils.. craziness

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Certainly could have used Woll in this one.

This game brought back bitter memories of the Leafs play-in round loss to CBJ in the playoffs.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
TML fans - hyperbole captains of the NHL.

The problem is that the majority of our fan base don’t even understand what they are looking at.

This morning Dave Feshchuk called yesterday’s TB win the best regular season win in the Core 4‘S history. What??? Why???

Did they play well and structured - yes.
Vasy crapping the bed help - you bet.
Game vs. Columbus the sky is falling - nope.
Poor effort and poor trendy results - yup.

Had some people say it’s good to see Patches play well yesterday. Why? Because he scored a floater in that gets stopped 98% of the time.

I get so frustrated seeing fans focus on goals/assists as the only important things.

Please watch the game. Not the stat sheet.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This is for the “on pace” crowd
We are “on pace” for 93 points
Marner is “on pace” for 82 points

How long until his defenders start to blame the new coach and system for any significant drop in Marner's points this year?

I'm surprised it hasn't started already. They'll tell us all how Marner stepped back his offensive production to focus on defense. Just like Yzerman did in order to win a cup.

Even if no one else on the team sees their numbers take a big hit.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
How long until his defenders start to blame the new coach and system for any significant drop in Marner's points this year?

I'm surprised it hasn't started already. They'll tell us all how Marner stepped back his offensive production to focus on defense. Just like Yzerman did in order to win a cup.

I don't think any of their regular season numbers will be down. Marner always starts slow and then goes through a 14 points in 4 games stretch to bring his numbers back to where they usually are.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Marner is leading the team in points, and has already been great defensively for ages.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
They laid an egg in the first period and couldn't recover from it. Happens several times in a season. Forget it and move on.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Terrible effort, but the reality is there was always going to be one of these before Berube could work on minimizing the instances.

That said, pretty well every team gets these from time to time. It’s only a problem if it persists as a pattern through the season

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Marner is on pace for a -23 +/- defensively, while playing at a PPG pace offensively ..

1729696325185.png

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Discussions of pace can have some value when you have a good size sample, but extrapolating 7 games to 82 isn’t really one of those instances.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Do you feel he will continue that pace and finish the season -23?
Maybe if we play the whole season without a goalie, considering that those two goals against were into an empty net.
Mess still using +/- for defense. Hilarious. :laugh:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not early in the season it hasn't been. In fact, very much the opposite to start seasons. But it's the nature of this place. One night earlier everyone was tripping over themselves to say how great the team was against Tampa. Just as it was an over-reaction to that game, so is today an over-reaction to the Columbus game.
I thought this was fair, but I was curious so I went back to our last 5 seasons and the starts we had. Here's how this team ranks in comparison

Pts - tied for 3rd
5v5 xGF% - 2nd
5v5 GF% - 1st
AS xGF% - 5th
AS GF% - 1st
GA - TIed for 2nd

Take from that what you will. It's been a solid start for sure, but it doesn't feel clearly better or worse. Special teams a big issue, 5v5 is great and the goaltending has helped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad