News Article: Bruins Front Office ranked top 5

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Do people find any fault with losing to underdogs Carolina, Philly, Washington, Montreal, St Louis, Islanders and Florida x 1 during the past fifteen years in the playoffs? They’ve had some great runs and fantastic success October to April but imo overall they have come up short IMO

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I’m ready for a full rebuild

Florida model looks good but 7 yrs of DNQP may be a couple years to much

15 years ~ 12 top fifteen picks but get a , Ekblad 1, Barkov 2, Huberdeau 3.

Prune all the pink hat Bruins fans

Let’s see who are the real fans who show up thru thin and thick

15 years is wayyyyy to long but 4 or 5 years with a couple of top picks like the Devils

Let the tank begin

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Do people find any fault with losing to underdogs Carolina, Philly, Washington, Montreal, St Louis, Islanders and Florida x 1 during the past fifteen years in the playoffs? They’ve had some great runs and fantastic success October to April but imo overall they have come up short IMO
Yup

Basically string us a long

The Leafs at least don’t drain our money and emotions

I’d rather be a Leafs fan since 1973 even if it means giving up 2011

The referees hated Vancouver

Had they called penalties I doubt Bruins win series

I loved it but let’s be honest it was sketchy watching the way refs let things go

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Lots of fault, but don't they also deserve lots of praise for pulling off underdog victories as well?

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Vault with who, exactly?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Which underdog victories would those be? They've been the higher seed in every postseason series victory since Sweeney took the job.
They had underdog wins against the Caps in 2021 and Carolina in 2020. Lou specifically mentioned the last 15 years and that also includes underdog wins against Pittsburgh in 2013, Philly and Vancouver in 2011 and Buffalo in 2008.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Lots of fault, but don't they also deserve lots of praise for pulling off underdog victories as well?
what series have they won as an underdog the past decade though? They were decent at it early but now they lose to teams they should and lose to teams they shouldn't. Do you feel this team has succeeded when it's matter during this GM's tenure?

Vault with who, exactly?
people putting together the teams, players and coaches. Chiarelli accomplished more than Sweeney but was fired quicker. He was allowed one coaching change. Players have been held accountable. Charlie Jacobs says himself Bruins success is measured in cups, but what is the threshold in attempts?

Last edited:

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
There is definitely something to be said for a management group that assembles teams that have a chance year after year.
Absolutely. 2019 Tampa and 2023 Bruins were absolute locks for the Cup - their both out in April. Then you have Covid Habs and Blues of 2019. Get in the playoffs . . .anything can happen

But presently, there aren't pennies to spare - right up against the Cap.

P-Bruins? Anyone there on the Big Club roster in a few years?

Last night on the there was:
Brad-Lindholm-Pasta
Mac-Lindholm

and I'd rather see the Beecher line with Mason L and Peeke

Monty reminds me of Daboll with the NY Giants. Both had instant success (out of this world goaltending) . . .well my Jints (Saquon Barkley) were more relative success. But without coaching saving play of a few, the style, plan, and methods going forward . . .seem . . .unsound.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Front office puts the team in position every year they just choke it it's not Toronto.

I think Boston is one of the easier jobs in many ways guys want to play here but we'll never be able to reload with multiple top 5 picks.

Being too p***y to send someone like Carlo or Coyle packing because their family will be upset is my only real gripe. No trades means no accountability and no motivation. Forget about selling high ever as well.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Crazy, almost like they looked at the team over a time period to make the list and not randomly on Oct 22, 2024
You can say that but many of us have seen this coming for a long long time. He inherited a great team, he has systematically lost great players and has drafted poorly (2015 cough), his free agent signings have busted and we now have one of the worst forward lineups in the league. His entire job is to make sure that doesn’t happen, he has failed. People can Blame the coach and players all they want but this is on sweeneely.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
You can say that but many of us have seen this coming for a long long time. He inherited a great team, he has systematically lost great players and has drafted poorly (2015 cough), his free agent signings have busted and we now have one of the worst forward lineups in the league. His entire job is to make sure that doesn’t happen, he has failed. People can Blame the coach and players all they want but this is on sweeneely.
This is a pretty underrated point. Great team, no, decent team, they had 96 points.

Bergeron and Krejci were under 30. Krug and Dougie were young. Pasta was 18, Smith 23, Marchand 26, Looch 26...Tuukka just turned 27. Chara was older but still good (not great)

He did get them to a game 7 SCF at home, so I think if they win that people are all Sweeney fans. It was the only time they made it past the second round though in a decade.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
what series have they won as an underdog the past decade though? They were decent at it early but now they lose to teams they should and lose to teams they shouldn't. Do you feel this team has succeeded when it's matter during this GM's tenure?
They had underdog wins against the Caps in 2021 and Carolina in 2020. You mentioned the last 15 years in the post I was quoting and that time span also includes underdog wins against Pittsburgh in 2013, Philly and Vancouver in 2011 and Buffalo in 2008.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
They had underdog wins against the Caps in 2021 and Carolina in 2020. You mentioned the last 15 years in the post I was quoting and that time span also includes underdog wins against Pittsburgh in 2013, Philly and Vancouver in 2011 and Buffalo in 2008.
Carolina stunk in 2020. They did have a knack for coming up bigger under Chiarelli for whatever reason. I think the front office has overall done a good job but it’s clearly evident to me the owners say one thing and are happy with the 3-8 home games in the playoffs.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I understand the frustration, but 1/2 the lineup is underperforming at it's average level, never mind best season.
A lot of this is on the players.
Coyle, Zacha, Frederic and Geekie all had career years last season though. Elias had 44 points in 75 games. He’s had 80 pts once. Marchand is on the decline. Pasta even had 14 less goals than his career season. Maybe we are expecting too much?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Bolded is technically true, but misleading. That was a Covid shortened season and they were separated by just 4 points over 56 games. That was a pretty even matchup, not sure you can call it an "underdog win."

Also, in the 2020 playoffs the 100-point Bruins beat the 81-point Hurricanes. Do you have the wrong year?

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Most wins and one Cup is a failure in my book, especially since Chi, LA, Pitt and TB have 2 each (Chi 3, plus Pitt’s in 09), and even cough St L cough has one. Or we could also say most wins and but also most chokes (ok, 2nd most, after TO), which is almost true by definition if you have the most wins and only one Cup.

Really annoying that Chi won in 2010, 2013 and 2015 and then fell off a cliff, and LA won in 2012 and 2014 and then fell off a cliff, but we won in 2011 and didn’t fall of a cliff yet here we are with still only one Cup. Infuriating, really.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Most wins and one Cup is a failure in my book, especially since Chi, LA, Pitt and TB have 2 each (Chi 3, plus Pitt’s in 09), and even cough St L cough has one. Or we could also say most wins and but also most chokes (ok, 2nd most, after TO), which is almost true by definition if you have the most wins and only one Cup.

Really annoying that Chi won in 2010, 2013 and 2015 and then fell off a cliff, and LA won in 2012 and 2014 and then fell off a cliff, but we won in 2011 and didn’t fall of a cliff yet here we are with still only one Cup. Infuriating, really.
Would you have preferred the cliff?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Coyle, Zacha, Frederic and Geekie all had career years last season though. Elias had 44 points in 75 games. He’s had 80 pts once. Marchand is on the decline. Pasta even had 14 less goals than his career season. Maybe we are expecting too much?

Is it fair to say that every player on the roster, other than the 4th line, is playing below expectations?

I think it's fair.

How do we explain that?

Reactions: BTO

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Yes fantastic foresight to know that they would not be top contenders for a full decade after he came in, really went out on a limb there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad