Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 1-0

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
One stupid penalty by Timmins, ONE stupid penalty by Timmins that's it that's what lost them the game.

That's literally it. I have no complaints about anything else.

Stolarz was great, the PK was solid, the PP was a mixed bag, first 2 looked alright, 3rd and 4th were not great.

The defense was good.

Offense created lots of Grade A chances.

Everything about this game was good except the final score.

But if this is how they are going to play every night they are going to win A LOT.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
They lost 1-0 putting up almost 50 shots what makes you think the defense was a problem
Wasn't impressed by anything besides the goalies and Nylander. Even if Nylander can be a lot better of course. Just because your guys finishing sucked doesn't exclude the possibility of the Leafs D's looking pretty meh too :)

Reactions: arso40

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
47 shots on net. 5 posts and pretty much carried the play for the most part.

My only concern so far is we need to upgrade the 3C spot. Holmberg is not the answer at 3C.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
1728525170660.png

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Same issues from last year come back in the first game of the season. Lack of scoring and bad powerplays.

Toronto dominated on the shotclock, but they looked sloppy as hell trying to make any plays.
Including the playoffs last year, 6 straight games where the haven't scored more than 2 goals. 12 goals in the last 8 games (1.5 goals per game)

And Boston in the playoffs, they held the Leafs to 12 goals in 7 games...Florida put up 19 in Boston in the same playoffs and lit them up for 6 last night.

Its one game, I get it, but for what you are paying Matthews and Nylander and Marner, you can't have stretches THAT long with so little offense.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Stolarz excellent, new D okay, they allow just one goal - but still not good enough to win! lol

Nonno Paciorrety tapped to play during last minute as sixth skater. wtf?

Montreal recorded, what, two shutouts all of last season?
Leaf PP 0-4.
Hmmm, what is the only part of this team that has stayed the same, again, for this season?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
We are trying to play a system to win 1-0 or 2-0 with 75% of our cap on forwards. I am hopeful they will figure it out eventually but it doesn't make sense.
It makes alot of sense. Get your team to commit to a very good team defense and wait for a mistake to capitalize with your "elite forward talent".

It doesnt make sense to play a loose free flowing offensive game when your team has the worst goalie and defense.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Same shit, different year !!!

Obviously, this Leafs team is still stuck in playoff mode. Can't score if their lives and wives depended on it !!!

Run it back, Pelley. Run it back, Shanahan. Run it back, Treliving. BIG changes my ass !!!

I always HATE losing to the HABS !!!

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I actually thought we played well. We were the better team, our goaltending was consistent and steady and we got a lot of pressure basically all 3rd period but we couldn't score. This was Montreal's Stanley cup so let them celebrate.

Yeah, I'm not too mad. Frustrated, sure. It sucks to lose the first game (especially in a shutout after TOR wasn't shut out at all last season), but it was basically one of those games where the puck simply wouldn't go in the opponent's net. Montreal was definitely outplayed.

The game tomorrow is pretty important now. Definitely don't want to start 0-2.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Wasn't impressed by anything besides the goalies and Nylander. Even if Nylander can be a lot better of course. Just because your guys finishing sucked doesn't exclude the possibility of the Leafs D's looking pretty meh too :)

Nylander had one good shift....

Reactions: Svedu

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Can’t believe some people think we played well. 47 shots and basically none of them were dangerous.
Montreal packed the high danger areas and we obliged by just tossing harmless stuff from long range. The epitome of empty shot attempts.

Stolarz was sharp which is big. Other than that not much positive to take away. It was like our postseason offensive struggles on steroids against a terrible team.

Matthews looked really tentative which is concerning. Two years ago he looked off to start the year and never really recovered. In the last few minutes he had a clear shot at net and passed away to reset.

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
Same shit, different year !!!

Obviously, this Leafs team is still stuck in playoff mode. Can't score if their lives and wives depended on it !!!

Run it back, Pelley. Run it back, Shanahan. Run it back, Treliving. BIG changes my ass !!!

I always HATE losing to the HABS !!!
Are we out of the playoffs or something? What did I miss?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad