Confirmed with Link: Leafs hire Mark Leach from the Stars as their new director of amateur scouting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Well i certainly think some people here are absolutely obsessed with Dubas ;)

But Burkes cup pedigree couldn't even build a team that could make the playoffs. Or was able to develop any prospects beyond the top 10 of the draft.
yup people are still obsessed with Dubas to the point they disregard the teams they inherited so they can pretend Dubas wasn't a colossal failure

i've always found it strange how devoted some fans are to a GM that even after he gets kicked to the curb they still feel obligated to defend him

If Burke had inherited Matthews, Marner and Nylander all on ELCs plus Kadri and Rielly on great contract he would have done a lot more than Dubas did. Burke already went on record saying he wouldnt have kept both Nylander and Marner so that’s a great start.
it would have been hard to mange the team worse than Dubas did regardless of who took over

Last edited:

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
Going from Wes Clark to Mark Leach as Director of Amateur Scouting

Is the equivalent of going from a Ford Pinto

View attachment 895929

To a lamborghini

View attachment 895931

In terms of upgrading the management Director of Amateur scouting for Leafs Nation now.

That was the point I was trying to make. :wg:
Let's hope he isn't the Jeff Finger of scouting shall we. 😉

yup people are still obsessed with Dubas to the point they disregard the teams they inherited so they can pretend Dubas wasn't a colossal failure

i've always found it strange how devoted some fans are to a GM that even after he gets kicked to the curb there still feel obligated to defend him

it would have been hard to mange the team worse than Dubas did regardless of who took over
Especially after all the great later round prospects Hunter drafted 🤣. And I mean anything after the top 10 picks

Reactions: Gallagbi

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Let's hope he isn't the Jeff Finger of scouting shall we. 😉

Especially after all the great later round prospects Hunter drafted 🤣. And I mean anything after the top 10 picks
i always find it funny how the Dubas fan club keep bringing up Hunter like it means something but it does make me wonder if he would have also traded Kasdri who had years left on his sweetheart contract for 2 mediocre to bad players who were in the last year of their deals

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
i always find it funny how the Dubas fan club keep bringing up Hunter like it means something but it does make me wonder if he would have also traded Kasdri who had years left on his sweetheart contract for 2 mediocre to bad players who were in the last year of their deals
So you think anybody who calls out bullshit must be a fan boy of the opposite extreme. Awful simplistic of you

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well i certainly think some people here are absolutely obsessed with Dubas ;)

But Burkes cup pedigree couldn't even build a team that could make the playoffs. Or was able to develop any prospects beyond the top 10 of the draft.

By the time Burke got to Toronto it seemed like he had an inflated ego from his Stanley Cup in Anaheim didn't really have the patience to build an honest to goodness program anymore but just trying to wheel and deal into the middle class or wherever he was trying to get to.

Where Burke was the most successful in Anaheim, he took a well stocked program and put the finishing touches on it to win his only Stanley Cup. Don't feel like talking about Dubas so I'll just leave it there.

Reactions: Menzinger

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Good hire out it’s seems .

Been a scout for a long time . Hopefully he has good organizational skills and is a good leader for our scouts.

Load of experience 👍🏻

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Now we need to get him some picks. No going in until this team is really ready

Leafs have already traded away their own 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th round draft picks in 2025 & 2nd, 4th, 6th and 7th in 2026.

The only top pick the Leafs have next year draft is Florida's 2nd rounder because Treliving traded back 2 X in 2023 draft otherwise this poor new guy would have had ZERO picks in the top 150.

Leafs are very lucky that this quality of scout was willing to sign on with Leafs, with the damage already done years into the future of Leafs draft picks,

He is really going to need to be on game to find talent among all the missing picks.

Reactions: crump

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

i've always found it strange how devoted some fans are to a GM that even after he gets kicked to the curb they still feel obligated to defend him

Here is the thing though ... none of the GM's lace up the skates during games.

Was marner better in the playoffs this year with Treliving as his GM?

Would marner be better if Zito was his GM?

Would Matthews become a playoffs beast if Scotty was his GM?

Who they inherited might not be such a good thing ... maybe their failures were believing they were.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Here is the thing though ... none of the GM's lace up the skates during games.

Was marner better in the playoffs this year with Treliving as his GM?

Would marner be better if Zito was his GM?

Would Matthews become a playoffs beast if Scotty was his GM?

Who they inherited might not be such a good thing ... maybe their failures were believing they were.
Would Marner be here if Zito was his GM? Ask Hubie.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs have already traded away their own 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th round draft picks in 2025 & 2nd, 4th, 6th and 7th in 2026.

The only top pick the Leafs have next year draft is Florida's 2nd rounder because Treliving traded back 2 X in 2023 draft otherwise this poor new guy would have had ZERO picks in the top 150.

Leafs are very lucky that this quality of scout was willing to sign on with Leafs, with the damage already done years into the future of Leafs draft picks,

He is really going to need to be on game to find talent among all the missing picks.

He'll have to be better than one outstanding draft with so few picks.

Stars hit on 1st. and 2nd. round picks since 2014, but not much from the rest of the draft.

He'll face a real challenge in Toronto ... 24*7 pick evaluations are on the way.

I'm not as impressed as many here appear to be ... I'm just looking at results ... but everyone likes shiny new toys.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Damn, they shouldn't have added to it by trading 6 picks for 0 impact players last year, just adding fuel to the fire.

I've seen you praise Leach's scouting multiple times, do you mind outlying which picks he was directly involved in outside of the first 2 rounds (where it is much easier to pick up star players)?

He looks like he's done well over his career and you seem very educated on the matter, so I'd love to hear about some recent success in the later rounds.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

You have a lot of posts defending Lou... not sure you are the one who should be saying this.

Sep 18, 2009
Yea I am obsesssed with dubas it is a real tragedy i may never see a cup in my lifetime because of

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He'll have to be better than one outstanding draft with so few picks.

Stars hit on 1st. and 2nd. round picks since 2014, but not much from the rest of the draft.

He'll face a real challenge in Toronto ... 24*7 pick evaluations are on the way.

I'm not as impressed as many here appear to be ... I'm just looking at results ... but everyone likes shiny new toys.

New Maple Leafs director of amateur scouting Mark Leach has had his fingerprints on some amazing draft picks, including Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg.​

Long before landing in Dallas in 2014, Leach had been a part of a dynasty with the Detroit Red Winfs from 1994-2013, winning 4 Stanley Cups during his run with the team before joining the Stars.

Now, aside from his obvious exploits in Dallas, having had a hand in drafting Roope Hintz, Jason Robertson, Thomas Harley, Jake Oettinger, Wyatt Johnston, Miro Heiskanen and Logan Stankoven, Leach also had a hand in drafting the likes of Datsyuk and Zetterberg in Detroit, but the list doesn't stop there.

Earlier this week, SDPN ran through a list of names connected to Leach from his time in Detroit. The list includes names such as Tomas Holmstrom, Jiri Fischer, Nicklas Kronwall, Valterri Filppula, Jimmy Howard, Johan Franzen, Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm, Tomas Tatar, Nick Jensen, Riley Sheahan, Calle Jarnkrok, Petr Mrazek, Andreas Athanasiou, Anthony Mantha, Tyler Bertuzzi, and Matthias Janmark. Each of the Red Wings players listed above has played at least 300 NHL games, with most being well above that mark.

Obviously, we won't know what sort of an impact Leach will have for a few years yet, and next summer's draft will be an ultra challenging one with the Maple Leafs not having many draft picks in 2025. Still, Leach's track record of getting quality NHL players outside of the first round speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

New Maple Leafs director of amateur scouting Mark Leach has had his fingerprints on some amazing draft picks, including Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg.​

Long before landing in Dallas in 2014, Leach had been a part of a dynasty with the Detroit Red Winfs from 1994-2013, winning 4 Stanley Cups during his run with the team before joining the Stars.

Now, aside from his obvious exploits in Dallas, having had a hand in drafting Roope Hintz, Jason Robertson, Thomas Harley, Jake Oettinger, Wyatt Johnston, Miro Heiskanen and Logan Stankoven, Leach also had a hand in drafting the likes of Datsyuk and Zetterberg in Detroit, but the list doesn't stop there.

Earlier this week, SDPN ran through a list of names connected to Leach from his time in Detroit. The list includes names such as Tomas Holmstrom, Jiri Fischer, Nicklas Kronwall, Valterri Filppula, Jimmy Howard, Johan Franzen, Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm, Tomas Tatar, Nick Jensen, Riley Sheahan, Calle Jarnkrok, Petr Mrazek, Andreas Athanasiou, Anthony Mantha, Tyler Bertuzzi, and Matthias Janmark.

Each of the Red Wings players listed above has played at least 300 NHL games, with most being well above that mark.

Obviously, we won't know what sort of an impact Leach will have for a few years yet, and next summer's draft will be an ultra challenging one with the Maple Leafs not having many draft picks in 2025. Still, Leach's track record of getting quality NHL players outside of the first round speaks for itself.​

Leafs have a very good history of drafting outside North America. (last few years are just a blip in history)

They unfortunately, weren't able to get a Lidstrom which made most of the names above good to very good players.

We saw Mrazek and Bertuzzi in Toronto and was anyone impressed? Some other names mentioned are NHL players, which all teams have.

Quite the strategy to wait until 6th. and 7th. rounds to draft these guys eh?
Datsyuk - 6th. rounder
Zetterberg - 7th. rounder
:sarcasm:

Fedorov - drafted prior to Leach.

Again, I don't expect much from him, other than to carry on with regular drafting. Hopefully he makes it better than most of the drafting done in Dallas.

Additionally, for the next couple of drafts they could probably just use McKenzie's list unless they can acquire some picks in the first two rounds.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Again, I don't expect much from him, other than to carry on with regular drafting. Hopefully he makes it better than most of the drafting done in Dallas.

Additionally, for the next couple of drafts they could probably just use McKenzie's list unless they can acquire some picks in the first two rounds.

Mark Leach drafted Jason Robertson

1721496974309.png

While Leafs drafted Nick Robertson

1721497044880.png

1 single draft pick difference like that alone (even talking Brothers), could push the Leafs over the top. :wg:

Jason Robertson -- Auston Matthews -- Mitch Marner
vs.
Nick Roberson --- Auston Matthews -- Mitch Marner

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Earlier this week, SDPN ran through a list of names connected to Leach from his time in Detroit. The list includes names such as Tomas Holmstrom, Jiri Fischer, Nicklas Kronwall, Valterri Filppula, Jimmy Howard, Johan Franzen, Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm, Tomas Tatar, Nick Jensen, Riley Sheahan, Calle Jarnkrok, Petr Mrazek, Andreas Athanasiou, Anthony Mantha, Tyler Bertuzzi, and Matthias Janmark.

Each of the Red Wings players listed above has played at least 300 NHL games, with most being well above that mark.

Obviously, we won't know what sort of an impact Leach will have for a few years yet, and next summer's draft will be an ultra challenging one with the Maple Leafs not having many draft picks in 2025. Still, Leach's track record of getting quality NHL players outside of the first round speaks for itself.​

Is there anything in the last decade and not in later rounds?

You seem like an expert, so hoping for some insight from someone so wise.

Mark Leach drafted Jason Robertson

View attachment 896079

While Leafs drafted Nick Robertson

View attachment 896080

1 single draft pick difference like that alone (even talking Brothers), could push the Leafs over the top. :wg:

Jason Robertson -- Auston Matthews -- Mitch Marner
vs.
Nick Roberson --- Auston Matthews -- Mitch Marner

His play falls off significantly in the playoffs, are you sure you want him?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

You don't seem to be too easily impressed with stellar scouting and drafting. :wg:

Dallas Leaders for Goals, Assists and +/- in 2023-24

1721498610541.png

When your Director of Amateur Scouting can boast that he can put out a starting Line-up that has gone to the final 4 in the playoffs the last couple years.

FORWARDS

1721499403146.png

1721499459236.png

1721499510650.png

DEFENSE

1721499613642.png

1721499728853.png

GOALTENDER

1721499341055.png

Dallas Goal Leaders in 2023- 24 Mark Leach Work.

1721498952212.png

I'm ALL IN !!!

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

No pressure then. Scout like normal knowing you have one stab at a hidden gem somewhere deep in the 2nd round. He’s got a two year transition period.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad