Confirmed with Link: Leafs hire Mark Leach from the Stars as their new director of amateur scouting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So they went with the strategy of identify the head of the most successful drafting team out there and then keep offering him more and more money until he agrees to leave.

Beautiful.

8xhat1.jpg

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The good news, is that it did not take Brad Treliving to name his replacement and bring in his own guy. Today, the Leafs announced they hired Mark Leach as the new Director of Amateur Scouting, bringing him over from the Dallas Stars after 11 seasons.

Leach has had a excellent career in Dallas, most notably during the 2017 NHL entry draft when he had a hand in selecting Miro Heiskanen, Jake Oettinger and Jason Robertson. .Like his successes in Detroit, that trio now define the Stars lineup – though they’ve received plenty of help from other draft steals, like Wyatt Johnston, Logan Stankoven, and Mavrik Bourque.

Many Leaf fans thought the sky was falling when Wes Clark left, but given the track record of Leach, who was also with the Detroit Red Wings for 20 seasons that included four Stanley Cups, it's safe to say that the scouting department is in very capable hands.

This now will mark the first director position of Leach’s storied career, which kicked off with an amateur scouting role with the Detroit Red Wings in 1996. He quickly settled into a Red Wings scouting room soon to become legendary, supporting the selections of all-time draft steals Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk alongside Håkan Andersson. Late steals quickly became a calling card of Leach’s career, as he pushed the Wings to pursue Jimmy Howard, Johan Franzen, and Justin Abdelkader. The quintet would step up as cornerstones of Detroit’s lineup across the early 2010s, though Leach would move on to an amateur scouting role with the Dallas Stars in 2013.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The good news, is that it did not take Brad Treliving to name his replacement and bring in his own guy. Today, the Leafs announced they hired Mark Leach as the new Director of Amateur Scouting, bringing him over from the Dallas Stars after 11 seasons.

Leach has had a excellent career in Dallas, most notably during the 2017 NHL entry draft when he had a hand in selecting Miro Heiskanen, Jake Oettinger and Jason Robertson. .Like his successes in Detroit, that trio now define the Stars lineup – though they’ve received plenty of help from other draft steals, like Wyatt Johnston, Logan Stankoven, and Mavrik Bourque.

Many Leaf fans thought the sky was falling when Wes Clark left, but given the track record of Leach, who was also with the Detroit Red Wings for 20 seasons that included four Stanley Cups, it's safe to say that the scouting department is in very capable hands.

This now will mark the first director position of Leach’s storied career, which kicked off with an amateur scouting role with the Detroit Red Wings in 1996. He quickly settled into a Red Wings scouting room soon to become legendary, supporting the selections of all-time draft steals Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk alongside Håkan Andersson. Late steals quickly became a calling card of Leach’s career, as he pushed the Wings to pursue Jimmy Howard, Johan Franzen, and Justin Abdelkader. The quintet would step up as cornerstones of Detroit’s lineup across the early 2010s, though Leach would move on to an amateur scouting role with the Dallas Stars in 2013.

Ya ya ya mess. You were literally saying Derek Clancy was gonna be the replacement LOL.

Reactions: Brobust and Metroid

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I really wanted this and posted about this few weeks ago.

Didn't you say Dallas would never part ways............Ahem Ahem

I kid I kid

We don't need to his home runs every draft but get me anything like Jason Robertsson or Wyatt Jhonston once in a while, I am happy

They did really well with their latter rounds

Well it's not Joe McDonnell. Mark Leach wasn't their head of amateur scouting. And I never said they wouldn't hire externally, I just expected it to be internal mostly.

This looks to be a good hire though so it's good news for sure.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Resume looks excellent. Dallas recently and before that with Detroit through their Championships.

Hope he brings that here
Yep. As in about 20 years with Detroit. And when Nill - widely regarded as a fantastic assessor of talent for Detroit - left Detroit, the guy he selected to bring along with, was Leach.

Mark Leach as a Leaf is an absolute coup.

Thrilled to have this man's perspective help shape our club going forward.

And I would have paid Wes Clark plus a 1st to get him.

Reactions: Warden of the North

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Feel for the guy, he won't have many picks
At least Treliving has shown that he respects the draft by keeping his 1st's (2 for 2) and adding a 2nd Rd'er. If Dubas was driving the bus we likely don't have Cowan or Danford and the 2nd next year.

Reactions: horner

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
This is awesome. Also worth noting he was in scouting for Detroit from 1994-2013, which was pretty much their peak era. Dude has an impressive resume.
I wonder if he would have met Shanahan there. Could this be a plus for him. Finally. He's long overdue.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Great hire.

My post from yesterday hoping for this:

Now that I think about it though, I don't see a top director like McDonnell leaving their position in a lateral move. What we'll likely need to do is poach a top amateur scout from a great drafting team.

These are Dallas' top scouts.

Sergei Chibisov
Dennis Holland
Jiri Hrdina
Jason Jaffray
Jimmy Johnston
David Kolb
Mark Leach
Shane Turner
Rob Grillo

Ad

Upcoming events