Proposal: Leafs - Habs (Chiarot, Allen)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
To Leafs:
Chiarot, Allen (50% retained)

To Habs:
Ritchie, Mrazek, 1st 2022, 2nd 2022, 2nd 2023

Rental this year for leafs and cap flexibility to sign Campbell. Mrazek is good for our tank, and Ritchie can fetch a mid-round pick maybe at the deadline next year.

Yay or nay?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Didn't Ritchie just pass through waivers unclaimed? Why would anyone give the Habs a mid-round pick for him?

This is basically Chiarot for a late first (his probable TDL value), and two seconds (at least one a late 2nd) for Allen. Not a bad value, but Allen may be worth a little more if the two were dealt separately.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Pass.
If the Leafs are going to spend that type of currency I'd rather they do it elsewhere.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Spending those kind of assets for a solid defenseman and a lateral move in net seems like an incredibly bad decision for the Leafs to make.

Yeah, Mrazek hasn't had a good year this year, but they'd be insane to flip him this quickly. He has played in 3 games for the Leafs.

Reactions: banks and leafsfan5

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leafs decline easliy

I disagree, it's worth considering. We get a decent back up goalie at a lower price and it addresses our hole in the top 4. Ritchie is a dump, we have to pay to get rid of him. Campbell is a pending UFA, everyone knows this. We have to make room to re-sign him. I would definitely explore this idea. We are giving up a lot of assets, it would make it much more difficult to address the hole at LW. But it solves two problems for us. Money to re-sign Soup and 2nd pairing D-man.

I just remember how big of a pain Chiarot was to play against. Extremely physical, especially in front of the net. He cross checks like crazy, but provides size/grit/physicality on D. We'd be a much better and more physical team with him. I'd feel comfortable rolling any D pairing out if we landed him.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Spending those kind of assets for a solid defenseman and a lateral move in net seems like an incredibly bad decision for the Leafs to make.

Yeah, Mrazek hasn't had a good year this year, but they'd be insane to flip him this quickly. He has played in 3 games for the Leafs.

It's not so much about his performance, it's more about freeing up money to re-sign Campbell. The proposed offer would relieve us of 3M in cap space to re-sign him and help us compete this year.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
hard pass from Habs POV.

return isn't nearly enough to justify helping out the Laffs with the kind of pieces that could help them finally get out of the first round (thus making the 1st even later).

Chia can get more than a late 1st elsewhere, and 2x2nd for Allen @ 50% isn't enough to justify taking on waiver-fodder Ritchie.

let the Laffs pay a bigger premium elsewhere

Reactions: Habz4Evr

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
hard pass from Habs POV.

return isn't nearly enough to justify helping out the Laffs with the kind of pieces that could help them finally get out of the first round (thus making the 1st even later).

Chia can get more than a late 1st elsewhere, and 2x2nd for Allen @ 50% isn't enough to justify taking on waiver-fodder Ritchie.

let the Laffs pay a bigger premium elsewhere
The Leafs are likely to play Florida, Tampa, or Boston in the first round, and for that reason, I would take this deal from a Montreal perspective. Which other potential playoff team (who needs Chiarot's services) will have a tougher path to get out of the first round?

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
The Leafs are likely to play Florida, Tampa, or Boston in the first round and for that reason, I would take this deal from a Montreal perspective. Which other potential playoff team (who needs Chiarot's services) will have a tougher path to get out of the first round?

The leafs' chances in round 1 was a major part of this trade, but I didn't want this topic to turn into a troll-fest.

Reactions: HabsQC

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I disagree, it's worth considering. We get a decent back up goalie at a lower price and it addresses our hole in the top 4. Ritchie is a dump, we have to pay to get rid of him. Campbell is a pending UFA, everyone knows this. We have to make room to re-sign him. I would definitely explore this idea. We are giving up a lot of assets, it would make it much more difficult to address the hole at LW. But it solves two problems for us. Money to re-sign Soup and 2nd pairing D-man.

I just remember how big of a pain Chiarot was to play against. Extremely physical, especially in front of the net. He cross checks like crazy, but provides size/grit/physicality on D. We'd be a much better and more physical team with him. I'd feel comfortable rolling any D pairing out if we landed him.
Iam OK with the D upgrade. Allen isn't the answer. Its simply a too complicated deal for what it is. The leafs can easily upgrade their D with a more simple approach. It's an easy NO from dubas but a reaprroach as well. They would take the D for a pick, walk away and everyone is happy

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Didn't Ritchie just pass through waivers unclaimed? Why would anyone give the Habs a mid-round pick for him?

Without commenting on the rest of the trade, my guess is that the idea is that next season a team may be interested in picking up a big body for the playoffs without having to worry about the extra year of term.

Reactions: Marc BergeFan

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

No, man. I’ll be pissed if we spend a 1st again on some non-difference maker. Foligno last year, Chiarot possibly this year. Yikes. These guys are not the difference between a 1st round exit or win.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
No, man. I’ll be pissed if we spend a 1st again on some non-difference maker. Foligno last year, Chiarot possibly this year. Yikes. These guys are not the difference between a 1st round exit or win.

I'm pretty sure your GM is going to go after a rental again this year. What happened if the Leafs lose again in the first round? Chiarot would help you againts team like Tampa, Boston, Florida. I don't really see the need for Allen. Not a bad deal for both sides.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Who else can we realistically target for the top 4 D though ? There's not too many guys available this year and I really don't wanna roll into the playoffs with Holl as our #4D. Foligno sucked...injuries and even when he played he was pretty average. I'm hoping Anaheim slips a little and goes into sell mode, I realllllly want Manson but if they stay in a playoff spot I can't see them selling. If there are better options for the top 4, I'm all for exploring them but I just don't see any.

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
nope for the leafs.
The foligno trade was bust, so i dont see dubas trading another 1st round pick unless its an really impactful player.

Reactions: ITM

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm pretty sure your GM is going to go after a rental again this year. What happened if the Leafs lose again in the first round? Chiarot would help you againts team like Tampa, Boston, Florida. I don't really see the need for Allen. Not a bad deal for both sides.

I am just saying our GM shouldn’t be spending 1st round picks on 2nd pairing D-men when he his 2 big stars have no killer instinct. Chiarot won’t help the Leafs win a round. Maybe it makes sense for some other team to give up a 1st for him, I am saying I don’t think it makes sense for the Leafs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Who else can we realistically target for the top 4 D though ? There's not too many guys available this year and I really don't wanna roll into the playoffs with Holl as our #4D. Foligno sucked...injuries and even when he played he was pretty average. I'm hoping Anaheim slips a little and goes into sell mode, I realllllly want Manson but if they stay in a playoff spot I can't see them selling. If there are better options for the top 4, I'm all for exploring them but I just don't see any.

I m not comfortable giving up anything of value when our 2 big stars don’t have any killer instinct. Whatever, it’s Dubas job on the line not mine.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Leafs have no reason to deal for Allen. They are riding Campbell to and in the playoffs. They have 3 goalies in the system now they can dress for in season back to back games. Chairot makes sense for the leafs but not at that price in picks. As for having to pay to get rid of either Mrazek or Ritchie people need to see what the buyouts would be for each. The Leafs either deal them for assets or they buy them out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad