Proposal: Leafs - Habs (Chiarot, Allen)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I m not comfortable giving up anything of value when our 2 big stars don’t have any killer instinct. Whatever, it’s Dubas job on the line not mine.

So then we just never try to win during their tenure here ? Might as well trade them and rebuild

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
I am just saying our GM shouldn’t be spending 1st round picks on 2nd pairing D-men when he his 2 big stars have no killer instinct. Chiarot won’t help the Leafs win a round. Maybe it makes sense for some other team to give up a 1st for him, I am saying I don’t think it makes sense for the Leafs.

Yea as a fan i get you. But when you look at the pressure that Dubas have on himself this year (pretty much do or die), I think he'll try to boost his club for the playoff.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
How about they prove they can win a series first? Why give up a 1st for a #4 d-man on our team? Is he better than Rielly? Brodie? Muzzin? Makes no sense to me.

Do you think this current roster is good enough to beat Tampa/Florida in a 7 game series ? I don't. The problem with "win a series first" is, our first round opponent is going to be the most difficult opponent in the entire playoff bracket. We are most likely playing the cup champs/cup favorites in round 1. It's not like we're playing a weaker #8 seed or something, we have the most difficult path. The WC teams in the West have an easier match up against the #1 seeds in their division, than we will have in our first round match up. We have to treat the first round like the cup final, because whichever team we face IS that good and assuming we won the cup somehow, the first round would undoubtedly be the hardest. If by some miracle we win the division, different story but most likely we finish 2nd/3rd which puts us against one of the Florida teams.

In order for this group to be successful, or at least win just 1 round, we have to be better than Tampa Bay. And as our team is currently constructed, I realllly don't like our chances. They're capable of it, but it's not likely. We have to prepare to play against one of those teams and they are both going to make moves to get better and compete for the cup. If we never try to upgrade the roster during our stars prime years we'll never have a chance. I understand your concern, but the shitty truth is that our core group is in it's prime at the same time as Tampa Bay and we have no choice but to go through them if we want to be successful. Maybe Chiarot isn't the answer, but we definitely need to upgrade, wasting another year of Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares makes zero sense.

That's why he would potentially be a #4 D...because he's not better than those 3 guys.

Reactions: Marc BergeFan

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
To Leafs:
Chiarot, Allen (50% retained)

To Habs:
Ritchie, Mrazek, 1st 2022, 2nd 2022, 2nd 2023

Rental this year for leafs and cap flexibility to sign Campbell. Mrazek is good for our tank, and Ritchie can fetch a mid-round pick maybe at the deadline next year.

Yay or nay?

NO! NO! NO! I will never help the Leafs win the cup.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
No, man. I’ll be pissed if we spend a 1st again on some non-difference maker. Foligno last year, Chiarot possibly this year. Yikes. These guys are not the difference between a 1st round exit or win.
On a true contender Chiarot would help tremendously.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
No interest in helping the Canadians with their rebuild. Especially, by taking on a goalie who will back up Mazarek and giving up first and seconds for Chariot. We would even have the cap room.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
To Leafs:
Chiarot, Allen (50% retained)

To Habs:
Ritchie, Mrazek, 1st 2022, 2nd 2022, 2nd 2023

Rental this year for leafs and cap flexibility to sign Campbell. Mrazek is good for our tank, and Ritchie can fetch a mid-round pick maybe at the deadline next year.

Yay or nay?
Montreal reject this trade.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
No way the Habs should help the Leafs by trading Chiarot. He is exactly what the Leafs is missing.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
How about they prove they can win a series first? Why give up a 1st for a #4 d-man on our team? Is he better than Rielly? Brodie? Muzzin? Makes no sense to me.
Makes perfect sense....teams that win ,tinker ....leafs need some grit in back end. Thats the price . Sense is easy to make ...

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I don’t understand why Leafs fans are so hesitant to trade off their their firsts. They have Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly all in their primes. Campbell has taken huge steps forward this season and is looking like a sure fire number one goalie. Tavares is just past his prime but still a very good player. The Leafs have pretty much the same team as last year except swap Hyman out for Kase. Maybe a few other minor tweaks but pretty much the same team. They are in their Cup window as we speak. That pick in the #18-32 range will not help you for a good few years even if that player develops into a NHL player. When you are in your Cup window you do all that you can to win.

Reactions: Hansman

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t understand why Leafs fans are so hesitant to trade off their their firsts. They have Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly all in their primes. Campbell has taken huge steps forward this season and is looking like a sure fire number one goalie. Tavares is just past his prime but still a very good player. The Leafs have pretty much the same team as last year except swap Hyman out for Kase. Maybe a few other minor tweaks but pretty much the same team. They are in their Cup window as we speak. That pick in the #18-32 range will not help you for a good few years even if that player develops into a NHL player. When you are in your Cup window you do all that you can to win.
The Leafs have traded their firsts for the last few years. I don't think the fans are hesitant to do so. It is the package. Are the Leafs supposed to waive Mzarek for Allen? Chariot is a good defenceman, but not first round worthy in my opinion.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Chiarot isn't worth anything near a first in my opinion but especially since the leafs already have 3 LHD better than him or more valuable than him. Just looking at the habs roster, theres maybe only 1 or 2 players that could help Toronto in any way and those guys arent available (especially to Toronto).

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Yeah we are okay with trading our first. We aren’t okay with trading our first and 2 2nds for a #4 Dman and a backup goalie.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
The Leafs have traded their firsts for the last few years. I don't think the fans are hesitant to do so. It is the package. Are the Leafs supposed to waive Mzarek for Allen? Chariot is a good defenceman, but not first round worthy in my opinion.

Regular season Chariot is worth a second rounder but playoff Chariot is easily worth a first. If you watched much of Montreal’s playoff run last year he was very integral to it. He played a shut down role and was very physical. He led the team in ice time numerous times. Some team will cough up a first for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s not a bad trade if you think Chiarot is worth a 1st round pick, which seems to be the rumour. But IMO he’s overrated as hell, so I wouldn’t make this deal

At this stage, Chiarot is just as effective as Muzzin and he is two years younger. Muzzin was a 1.5 year rental that you ended up extending. Leafs paid a 1st, Durzi who was putting up good numbers in the CHL as a 2nd round pick, and Grundstrom who was NHL ready as a B prospect type.

Chiarot for a 1st might appear to be high but he's a rare piece to acquire. The guy is a tank that can skate and he is very mature at this stage of his career. I actually see sign/trade attempted by several GM's. People who try to devalue Chiarot have not really watched him play. Acquiring pieces like this for the playoffs is not easy

Reactions: Hansman

Gaud

May 11, 2017
montreal is better off trading the two of them separately.

I agree with this, but I am curious as to what other folks with this opinion think is missing to make this work. If i break it down like this:
Chiarot for Ritchie, , 1st 2022,
Allen for Mrazek + 2nd 2022, 2nd 2023

My thought is that Chiarot will get more than Ritchie and a 1st (not too keen on Ritchie), but that Allen for 2 2nds could get her done, let alone with Mrazek coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad