Proposal: Leafs - Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
It's symbolic of the overpayment required to trade for Gaudreau .. It just doesn't make sense for either team

Agreed. Personally I'd rather just let Marner develop into a Gaudreau type player, keep Gardiner to be a shot suppressing beast #3 defenseman, and our lottery pick. The only valuation more hilarious was the joker who thought they'd get Matthews + for Gaudreau :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah, not a good idea.

Gaudreau is what Leafs fan hope Marner turns into. Flames have no interest in trading him, let alone for an unproven player. The plus would have to be significant.

On the flip side of the coin, Leafs don't want to add to Marner, nor should they be giving up a younger and more cost effective player with where they are at in their rebuild.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Yeah, not a good idea.

Gaudreau is what Leafs fan hope Marner turns into. Flames have no interest in trading him, let alone for an unproven player. The plus would have to be significant.

On the flip side of the coin, Leafs don't want to add to Marner, nor should they be giving up a younger and more cost effective player with where they are at in their rebuild.

I agree this trade just makes zero sense. Assuming the Leafs expect Marner to be a J.G 2.0 then they won't want to loose years of control and from the Flames side why take the risk of Marner not becoming as good as J.G to gain a cpl extra cheap years.

However with out team bias if 1 likes J.G then they also like Marner and vice versa. They play such a similar style its uncanny.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think the assumption is that we wouldn't get Gaudreau for Marner straight up, so there would be significant adding on the leafs side that would impact our prospect depth. Calgary would be taking the greater risk trading an NHL star for a prospect/prospects, so you would think they would need to have the potential to win the trade - ie if the prospects they get all turn out, they get more value.

From a leafs fan perspective, I would prefer to just wait on what we have and hope that the assets we would have traded for Gaudreau turn out, which would leave us in a better spot than having just Gaudreau

My assumption is that the cost for Gaudreau is in the vacinity of Marner + 2017 1st, if that's about right, then I'd rather have the shot at a Gaudreau-esque winger in Marner plus a top 10 pick to spend on a defenseman. Or as you mentioned, Marner + JVR might make sense, but if Marner turns out to be around Gaudreau's caliber, Calgary wins the trade

The probability of Marner turning out as good as Gaudreau is pretty slim IMO. We're talking a top 3 winger in the game at the age of 22. I'm very high on Marner, but I think its more likely he ends up a 45-50 point player than it is an 80 point player by the age of 22. I think its most likely that he ends up somewhere between 60-70 points/year.

Marner + JVR is probably the only deal I can think that would make sense and be relatively fair.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Then as long as you keep Matthews and Rielly, why would you not want to add Gaudreau at the cost of say Marner + JVR?

If a reasonable deal could be made for a talented winger, obviously we would make it but this is what the thread has so far...

Gadreau 7ish
Wideman 2.625 (1/2 retained)
Smid 3.5
Stajan 1.5625 (1/2 retained)

FOR

Nylander 1.744
Marner 1.744
Bozak 4.25
Van Riemsdyk 4.25
Marincin 1.25

Basically two blue chip prospects, Bozak (good 2C), and JVR (1 LW) for Gaudreau and a bunch of cap dumps. How would this possible make us a better team?

Matthews+

Why would we give up the 1st OV + for a small winger, again this makes no sense.

Id do Marner+Nylande+Komarov

Again two blue chips and an elite grinder for a small winger

Nylander, Kadri, Gardiner and a 2017 1st.

This is just a straight up joke, won't even begin to discuss this...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There is no trade that makes sense for both teams, unless somehow Calgary gets forced into trading him, which is doubtful, and surely other teams would make reasonable offers.

Yes, the Leafs hope that Marner becomes like Gaudreau, and even if he doesn't reach those heights, having him cost controlled for years is worth the risk of not making such a trade, when we would have to add on significantly. The Leafs need the depth we'd lose in such a trade.

Calgary only makes the trade under an armageddon situation.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There is no trade that makes sense for both teams, unless somehow Calgary gets forced into trading him, which is doubtful, and surely other teams would make reasonable offers.

Yes, the Leafs hope that Marner becomes like Gaudreau, and even if he doesn't reach those heights, having him cost controlled for years is worth the risk of not making such a trade, when we would have to add on significantly. The Leafs need the depth we'd lose in such a trade.

Calgary only makes the trade under an armageddon situation.

Gaudreau, Monahan and Brodie seem like Flames for life...I'd keep those 3 and jettison anyone else off the team before I think of moving them.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The probability of Marner turning out as good as Gaudreau is pretty slim IMO. We're talking a top 3 winger in the game at the age of 22. I'm very high on Marner, but I think its more likely he ends up a 45-50 point player than it is an 80 point player by the age of 22. I think its most likely that he ends up somewhere between 60-70 points/year.

Marner + JVR is probably the only deal I can think that would make sense and be relatively fair.

Ages aside, I don't think Marner would be ranked where he is on all the prospect lists or would he have been drafted where he was if his ceiling wasn't up there - Patrick Kane and Claude Giroux are the most used comparables that I've seen.

Not to say that he's guaranteed to hit that ceiling, or that the likelihood doesn't favour him falling somewhere slightly less than it, as you suggest. But again, I think there's every reason to believe that he could become a Gaudreau level talent, and the leafs are in a position to be able to wait and see.

I'm also not projecting Gaudreau to be anything more or less than he was this year, valuing him as a 75-85 pt winger - he could trend in either direction or he might just be as good as he is

Edit: I think the valuation of Marner+JVR is fair as well

Last edited:

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
It's ok for each team to be happy with their guy.

Gaudreau would be worth more than Marner by quite a bit at this point. That being said the Leafs hope Marner can turn into a player as good as Gaudreau and have very little they would be willing to add to Marner as they are rebuilding. All in all not a good trade for either team.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
As a fan of both teams it's funny to see Leafs fan saying no. Gaudreau is Marner's ceiling so I do this trade in a heartbeat if I'm the Leafs.

This trade makes zero sense from the flames side of things and doesn't make much sense for the rebuilding Leafs to acquire a player in their prime when they are still far off from even making the playoffs. That being said Johnny hockey is worth wayyy more than Marner.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As a fan of both teams it's funny to see Leafs fan saying no. Gaudreau is Marner's ceiling so I do this trade in a heartbeat if I'm the Leafs.

This trade makes zero sense from the flames side of things and doesn't make much sense for the rebuilding Leafs to acquire a player in their prime when they are still far off from even making the playoffs. That being said Johnny hockey is worth wayyy more than Marner.

Are we reading the same thread?

(The majority of) Leaf fans aren't saying no to Gaudreau for Marner...they aren't comfortable with adding the significant additions it would take to get this trade to go through because 1 for 1 isn't realistic at all for the Flames.

There is a chance for Marner to become as good as Gaudreau...why not see how Marner's development goes?

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Are we reading the same thread?

(The majority of) Leaf fans aren't saying no to Gaudreau for Marner...they aren't comfortable with adding the significant additions it would take to get this trade to go through because 1 for 1 isn't realistic at all for the Flames.

There is a chance for Marner to become as good as Gaudreau...why not see how Marner's development goes?

That's what the Leafs should do and why this trade does not make the least bit of sense for either team.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
From what I've seen from Marner it doesn't look like he can be a 1st line forward.

Please stop. Of course there's no guarantee he pans out just like any prospect, but everything you may or may not have seen up to this point 100% looks like he could be an all star caliber 1st line forward. Not even really debatable because he's looked that good. Until he gives you a reason to think otherwise (which could easily happen as early as this season) it's just being biased to make statements like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad