Proposal: Leafs - Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Aug 3, 2010
giphy.gif

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
There would have to be an pretty massive plus on the Leafs end, and this is coming from a Leafs fan.

Honestly, Calgary would probably want Matthews as the centerpiece not Marner.

Really nothing to see here

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Gee, I wonder who adds in a trade where one side is praying their player turns out to be as good as the piece from the other side? :dunce:

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Marner + Nylander and Flames atleast don´t slams the phone at Lou, dunno if that is enough to get in the ballpark

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What's the point? This one is not even worth sussing out just for the hell of it.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
No thanks to trading for Gaudreau.

He's a very good player but we already tried building around a small and skilled winger before, it didn't work out well for us

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
No thanks to trading for Gaudreau.

He's a very good player but we already tried building around a small and skilled winger before, it didn't work out well for us

So you're going to build around Marner instead? Seems odd to paint all small skilled players with the same brush. Kessel and Gaudreau have about zero similarities.

Seems Kane has done pretty well for Chicago. I see no reason why a team couldn't build around a Marner or Gaudreau (or even Kessel for that matter, he just never had any help but still dragged the Leafs into the playoffs).

Kane
Gaudreau
Marner
Keller
Drouin
Kucherov

There are plenty of small skilled wingers in the league today who could very easily be used as a franchise cornerstone.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The plus would be too significant to make sense for the Leafs at this point.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Flames could potentially set themselves up quite well for this season while the Leafs could take one more season of misery to get closer to the sun.

Gadreau 7ish
Wideman 2.625 (1/2 retained)
Smid 3.5
Stajan 1.5625 (1/2 retained)

FOR

Nylander 1.744
Marner 1.744
Bozak 4.25
Van Riemsdyk 4.25
Marincin 1.25

Van Riemsdyk-Monahan-Nylander
Tkachuk-Bennett-Marner
Frolik-Backlund-Brouwer
Ferland-Bozak-Chiasson
EXTRA:Bolig,Bouma,Vey

Giordano-Brodie
Marincin-Hamilton
Jokipakka-Engelland
EXTRA:?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
So you're going to build around Marner instead? Seems odd to paint all small skilled players with the same brush. Kessel and Gaudreau have about zero similarities.

Seems Kane has done pretty well for Chicago. I see no reason why a team couldn't build around a Marner or Gaudreau (or even Kessel for that matter, he just never had any help but still dragged the Leafs into the playoffs).

Kane
Gaudreau
Marner
Keller
Drouin
Kucherov

There are plenty of small skilled wingers in the league today who could very easily be used as a franchise cornerstone.

Marner isn't the focal point of our rebuilt, Matthews and Rielly are.

Similar to how Kane thrives in Chicago because he has Toews, Keith, Hossa etc he is able to thrive in his role.

If we trade all of our depth and prospects for another small winger we will be right where we were with Kessel.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Just Looking to see what the value of Johny Hockey is in the Fan bases.

Johny Hockey for Mitch Marner +

Who adds?
Would this be something the Maple leafs would do?
Would the Flames do this if they got a good plus?

Value wise, I think Gaudreau is in the neighbourhood of what we hope Marner can become. Given that he's already there, he should be worth a lot more than Marner because of the risk that Marner doesn't pan out/turns into something less than Gaudreau.

I don't think either fanbase wants to see those players traded, and I don't think the respective ages/career stages fit the teams: Calgary is a young team starting to compete so Gaudreau fits, Toronto is in the midst of a tear-down rebuild so no harm in waiting on Marner

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Similar to how Kane thrives in Chicago because he has Toews, Keith, Hossa etc he is able to thrive in his role.

If we trade all of our depth and prospects for another small winger we will be right where we were with Kessel.

To be fair, we probably don't know who the future leafs will be built around. If Marner turns out to be Patrick Kane, he's a significant building block. Agreed that you need more than 2 very good players to win a cup too, given the odds of everyone turning out we would be wise to have as many prospects in the cupboard as possible IMO

If all of our top prospects turn out, we might already have the future core

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Value wise, I think Gaudreau is in the neighbourhood of what we hope Marner can become. Given that he's already there, he should be worth a lot more than Marner because of the risk that Marner doesn't pan out/turns into something less than Gaudreau.

I don't think either fanbase wants to see those players traded, and I don't think the respective ages/career stages fit the teams: Calgary is a young team starting to compete so Gaudreau fits, Toronto is in the midst of a tear-down rebuild so no harm in waiting on Marner

100% agree

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Then as long as you keep Matthews and Rielly, why would you not want to add Gaudreau at the cost of say Marner + JVR?

Who is proposing you trade all of your depth and prospects? And how you would be right where you were with Kessel when you have Matthews + Rielly and still plenty of complimentary players around them?

Rejecting a trade for Gaudreau on this basis would be insanity lol.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Then as long as you keep Matthews and Rielly, why would you not want to add Gaudreau at the cost of say Marner + JVR?

Who is proposing you trade all of your depth and prospects? And how you would be right where you were with Kessel when you have Matthews + Rielly and still plenty of complimentary players around them?

Rejecting a trade for Gaudreau on this basis would be insanity lol.

I think the assumption is that we wouldn't get Gaudreau for Marner straight up, so there would be significant adding on the leafs side that would impact our prospect depth. Calgary would be taking the greater risk trading an NHL star for a prospect/prospects, so you would think they would need to have the potential to win the trade - ie if the prospects they get all turn out, they get more value.

From a leafs fan perspective, I would prefer to just wait on what we have and hope that the assets we would have traded for Gaudreau turn out, which would leave us in a better spot than having just Gaudreau

My assumption is that the cost for Gaudreau is in the vacinity of Marner + 2017 1st, if that's about right, then I'd rather have the shot at a Gaudreau-esque winger in Marner plus a top 10 pick to spend on a defenseman. Or as you mentioned, Marner + JVR might make sense, but if Marner turns out to be around Gaudreau's caliber, Calgary wins the trade

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Matthews+

Yeah and this is why we can't do it. Johnny Hockey is a great player but auston matthews will be the leafs franchise player. A number one center we've been missing since sundin left. The flames won't eb trading Gaudreau and we won't be trading Matthews or any of our other big prospects.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
counter Marner for Bennett. Gaudreau aint leavin

Not that it isn't fair value or I'm offended at the offer or anything but I'd really like to see what we have with Marner first.

This thread is surprisingly level headed given that the original proposal is pretty outlandish, and this is coming from a big Marner fan. Gaudreau is amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad