Rumor: Leafs considering stripping John Tavares of captaincy (per Kypreos)

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
anybody who has every played sports or worked as part of a team, and even within groups of friends, letters on a jersey or titles don't mean nothing real leaders take the lead anyways they don't just sit back and let others lead that's not who they are.

C's and A's are irrelevant.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Fans have no to idea about what goes in a team's locker room and only a small windows into the dynamics between various players. Why do they all seem so confident when discussing who the captain should be?

I'd really love to see more fans show awareness of how little they know.
For a market labelled as the Hockey Mecca of the world, we really aren't a fanbase one would consider to be "well-informed".

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
anybody who has every played sports or worked as part of a team, and even within groups of friends, letters on a jersey or titles don't mean nothing real leaders take the lead anyways they don't just sit back and let others lead that's not who they are.

C's and A's are irrelevant.

They told us Reaves has great leadership skills.

That's why they brought him in. That's exactly what they told us. His leadership skills.

After they strip Tavares of the "C" they should give it to Reaves.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I've noticed some people in this thread suggesting that Tavares voluntarily handing over the C to Matthews would be good PR. And it might be -- for rational minded Leafs fans. However, I am willing to bet that if that happened, this board would see a ton of posts about it not being voluntarily including a few saying that Matthews forced the Leafs to give him the C.

I swear, at times, half the posts on the Leafs board are based on narratives that have been made up by posters and have little actual evidence to support them.

Reactions: bax and Metroid

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Oh what a brilliant idea, give the captaincy to a guy who has never been captain at any level he has played at, who disappears in the playoffs, and who has not demonstrated any evidence of leadership.

There is no rational reason to make Matthews the captain.

Reactions: rumman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Oh what a brilliant idea, give the captaincy to a guy who has never been captain at any level he has played at, who disappears in the playoffs, and who has not demonstrated any evidence of leadership.

There is no rational reason to make Matthews the captain.

I dont think it matters anymore. We basically bombed the rebuild into oblivion under Dubas and are going to learn to live with riding it out while watching the media describe... The Days of our Leafs for clicks

We just did what we did last time. Brought in old guys with names that sell Jersey Cows.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Frankly, I’m quite surprised at how little fans seem to think the Captaincy matters. I think this is one of the easiest, yet most significant organizational shakeups they can make. But people are like meh, we don’t want to hurt JT’s ego with this.

I think the captaincy matters a ton, and JT has not delivered on the job. I don’t give a rat’s ass about his ego, and while I think that Marner is the one who really needs to be humbled, the team’s entire schtick of “err that’s a hard choice to make, we’ll put it off until next year” is the same shit that means we keep running it back year after year after year.

No, changing the captain won’t make us killers in the playoffs, but the same captain sure as hell isn’t going to get the boys going. Same core players, same locker room leadership, same shit, different day, run it back because anything else is just too uncomfortable.
Brother. Thank you. Wtf has happened in Toronto (and the world in general) where change as seen as some sort of attack on someone’s character.

This is sport. Sport is supposed to be ruthless, cutthroat, results oriented.

I honestly believe that the spoiled hockey kid has now grown up, all these media types act like they are protecting their kids from the meanie fans out there, or “haters” as the term has evolved into. So juvenile.

Some clear indicators at the responses to this thread on where we’re at as a fanbase, and society overall. It’s ok to not be happy with results. It’s ok to make change for the greater good.

Reactions: IPS and LeafGrief

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Stopped reading as soon as I got to Kypreos

This. I don't care if Kypreos has "sources",

As for taking the C off Tavares, let him play out his contract and show him the door next year. I'd be up for a new captain, as long as it ain't one of the three amigos.

Reactions: rumman

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I swear, at times, half the posts on the Leafs board are based on narratives that have been made up by posters and have little actual evidence to support them.

You're probably right, but we also seem to get our share or posts complaining about the posts on the Leafs board. Even ones where people complain about posts, narratives and situations that haven't even happened yet ...

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I've noticed some people in this thread suggesting that Tavares voluntarily handing over the C to Matthews would be good PR. And it might be -- for rational minded Leafs fans. However, I am willing to bet that if that happened, this board would see a ton of posts about it not being voluntarily including a few saying that Matthews forced the Leafs to give him the C.

Only half?

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
I don't fully blame JT for the past 8 season, but he is a part of the core 4 that did not get it done. I think it would be a classless act by the organization to strip the C from him. Although Matthews has won scoring titles, he has not been able to perform in the playoffs, giving it to him for the sake of making this change is wrong. Tavares is on the last year of his current contract, let him play it out as captain. Once his deal is done, then remove the captaincy. Leave it to the organization to do something stupid.

Reactions: OddyOh and Knies iT

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Rather surprised this doesn’t appear to be a discussion happening anywhere (unless I’ve missed it which is possible) but allegedly Kypreos said on radio on Monday that the Leafs are seriously considering taking the captaincy away from JT and naming Matthews captain.

If true, I mean, I get it. If this happens though I feel bad for Tavares. It’s not all his fault what’s transpired here under his leadership and this is an awful market to have something like this go down in as it will be talked about and analyzed to death and there will probably be some degree of undue character assassination that accompanies it.

That all said. This is clearly Auston Matthews’ team and I think he will be the captain sooner than later. Can this not wait a year though so as to not publicly embarrass Tavares?
do you have the link to post in the OP

BudForLife

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
I don’t like the idea. Johnny is a class guy…that would be pretty humiliating for him.
And I don’t think Matthews would feel so great taking it from him.
Just wait till his contract is done. Then Johnny is good and Matthews has no reason to feel bad.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Slightly hot take:

Having a mediocre captain just for the sake of having a captain is unnecessary. It creates more pressure and stress on one individual for a miniscule benefit.

It's better that all the leaders on the team take responsibility than one individual.

I really don't think I want auston to be captain because I think the pressure of it would more than likely impact his play negativly. At the same time I think relieving Tavares would benefit his play

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don’t like the idea. Johnny is a class guy…that would be pretty humiliating for him.
And I don’t think Matthews would feel so great taking it from him.
Just wait till his contract is done. Then Johnny is good and Matthews has no reason to feel bad.
Good point I doubt Matthews would accept it.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That's great if we're trying not to hurt anybody's feelings but that's not the goal here. What's humiliating is Johnny's playoff performances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad