Rumor: Leafs considering stripping John Tavares of captaincy (per Kypreos)

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It's a good topic, but maybe change the title. It sounds like they are ritually ripping the C off him in a pre-game ceremony. Taking his badge, taking his gun, removing his stripes, getting him to take off his Captains bars...

The stripping sounds like punishing Tavares for poor leadership and court marshaling him.
while the Colonel takes his cavalry sabre and breaks it over his knee! Now he's branded scorned as the one who ran, what do you do if you're branded and you know you're a man?

Branded

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Ready? And what, exactly, are you basing that on?

Wait, what???

First point, Matthews has grown and matured a lot since his security guard incident years ago. He is very clearly the alpha of this team and go to guy. He’s the teams best player offensively and defensively and is the main reason this team is a “contender.”

Second point, John was given the captaincy when Dubas was still GM and just shortly before Keefe was named HC. It has coincided with most of Dubas’ time as GM and Keefe’s entire coaching tenure. John’s captaincy has resulted in one playoff series win and countless disappearing acts by him specifically. His PPG in the postseason is abysmal for what he’s being paid and outside of one clutch moment he hasn’t willed the Leafs anywhere like other captains across the league.

Removing the ‘C’ would bookend his mediocre term as captain. Giving the ‘C’ to Matthews would signify a change in the organization and would help symbolize this team moving on from the Dubas/Keefe era to the Treliving/Berube era.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Just what we need as a captain...a guy as embarrassingly soft as the old one:

None of "the core" are captain material.

Is this different than McDavid laughing at Bennett punching him in the face or McDavid crying to the refs that Tkachuk punched him?

Would you strip him of the captaincy?

I'm more concerned about how a captain leads in the dressing room, on the bench, and between the whistles than random incidents like this.

Give it to Reaves if that is your concern.

Ready? And what, exactly, are you basing that on?

He's been our best player in virtually every playoff series.

I personally don't really care who the captain is, but relative to the other players on the team, Matthews has been the best and plays a complete 200 foot game.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He has been here for 6 yrs and despite the talents and team, only managed to lead the Leafs to ONE first round series win. Plus not being the best player in any of the 7 series in 6 years.

Why is he the Captain again? Is it because he came home at UFA?

He has been here for 6 yrs and despite the talents and team, only managed to lead the Leafs to ONE first round series win. Plus not being the best player in any of the 7 series.

Why is he the Capt? Is it bc he came home when he hits UFA?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Come see it at low tide ...
Speaking of water, has Jyoti let you have a shower yet? I remember well all the westerner’s making fun of Lastman calling in the army for a blizzard, but not being able to fix a water main in less than a month has got to top that……….

Just what we need as a captain...a guy as embarrassingly soft as the old one:

None of "the core" are captain material.

Goofy smiles while being mauled, yup that’s what I look for in a leader…….

Reactions: ToneDog

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
He has been here for 6 yrs and despite the talents and team, only managed to lead the Leafs to ONE first round series win. Plus not being the best player in any of the 7 series in 6 years.

Why is he the Captain again? Is it because he came home at UFA?

He has been here for 6 yrs and despite the talents and team, only managed to lead the Leafs to ONE first round series win. Plus not being the best player in any of the 7 series.

Why is he the Capt? Is it bc he came home when he hits UFA?

just out of curiosity do you believe if Matthews was given the C what 5 years ago instead of Tavares that we would have had different results?

Reactions: egd27
Oct 18, 2010
Is this different than McDavid laughing at Bennett punching him in the face or McDavid crying to the refs that Tkachuk punched him?

Would you strip him of the captaincy?

I'm more concerned about how a captain leads in the dressing room, on the bench, and between the whistles than random incidents like this.

Give it to Reaves if that is your concern.

? McDavid blatant sucker punch on Tkachuk

I guess you're referring to when Tkachuk headlocked him from behind and punched him? I guess that's the same thing to the number kids :laugh:

Matthews will be a coward until he decides to stop being one, but he just quit on the team in their most recent games so we may be waiting a while.

Oct 18, 2010
Thanks for the post?

It doesn't change the fact he whined to the ref after getting punched and also didn't want to fight Bennett so he laughed... not captain material according to some.

I don't care personally, just pointing it out for the poster that thinks that disqualifies them.

He didn't do any of that, please stop making stuff up.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
just out of curiosity do you believe if Matthews was given the C what 5 years ago instead of Tavares that we would have had different results?
Honestly no.
Bc our Core 5 just don’t have the Alpha mentality.
It is not a coincidence that Dubas and Tre are bringing in guys who got a strong presence in the locker room.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Has to go to Nylander.

He can talk to the press.
He can tell his teammates to grow up.
He committed the rest of his career to the team.

No one else meets that criteria.

My first thought was no, but the more I think about it, I think I like it.

Let's list the reasons he should be captain
1. He lives year round in Toronto...no
2. He speaks to the media and defends the team...no
3. He greets new team mates with a text, email and let's them live in his house...no
4. He defends team mates on the ice...no
5. He communicates well...no
6. He is first on the ice and last to leave every practice...no
7. His team mates love him and defend him on and off the ice...no
8. He is always enthusiastic on the bench fir his team mates...no
I mean, when you put it that way.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Honestly no.
Bc our Core 5 just don’t have the Alpha mentality.
It is not a coincidence that Dubas and Tre are bringing in guys who got a strong presence in the locker room.

right so are you advocating none of them get the C then? because a big part of your post was how Tavares hasn't lead us anywhere and if the same core is here then none of them deserve the C?

C on a jersey is the most irrelevant thing in sports btw. only time it really matters imo is for Jersey sales to the public.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Speaking of water, has Jyoti let you have a shower yet? I remember well all the westerner’s making fun of Lastman calling in the army for a blizzard, but not being able to fix a water main in less than a month has got to top that……….

Goofy smiles while being mauled, yup that’s what I look for in a leader…….

Indoor no restrictions now.

But we have to save the shower water for the gardens.

Reactions: rumman

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
right so are you advocating none of them get the C then? because a big part of your post was how Tavares hasn't lead us anywhere and if the same core is here then none of them deserve the C?

C on a jersey is the most irrelevant thing in sports btw. only time it really matters imo is for Jersey sales to the public.
Domi gets the C,lol.

What’s the point of having the C if the guy wearing it chokes in the big moments?

Reactions: hotpaws

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad