Rumor: Leafs considering stripping John Tavares of captaincy (per Kypreos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
He comes across as very bland/boring and his style on the ice as a captain is pretty uninspiring. I have never seen him get involved to come to the aid of a teammate....like ever. To be fair none of our top guys ever do, but he is captain so I would hope he would lead the way, but he doesn't. Stamkos as an example gets involved, sticks up for his linemates, shows a pulse. Tavares gives an honest effort I guess, Ill give him that but he reminds me of a marleau type captain.....no emotion.......meh.
So you are judging him based on what you think a Captain should be.

Which is fair.

He is not Clarke or Gilmour.

I have zero idea what he dkes in rhe room or not, but I do know that you can be a leader without being the guy in the middle of the scrum.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Which is strange, because it shouldn't have. UFA vs RFA contract, and the lack of a culture of "no one makes more than our captain" like other teams had, spoke more of the character of the players than anything else.

Dubas monumentally screwed this up regardless, but no other franchise has had this issue with their players. They should have been rejoicing the fact that the lineup was augmented for free with a star player in his prime, but instead they all licked their chops at the pay raises they were about to argue for? wtf?

Matthews aside, Nylander and Marner both signed way above their comparables and for less term. wtf is going on. it wasn't even a long term bet that got cut short by the pandemic. Pasta, Ehlers, etc. and Point, Rantanen etc. all signed for less a year before or at the same time.
there's never been a culture in the NHL of ''no one makes more than our Captain'' unless of course the Captain is also clearly the best player on the team and just because Dubas slapped the C on Johnny after Mathews dropped his pants doesn't mean the players look up to him as a leader and it's pretty obvious that they don't

this is a business and players are going to take care of themselves and not ''rejoice'' and take a pay cut because mgmt decided to sign an inferior ufa to them and give him the highest cap hit in the league at the time of his signing while trying to spin it as a discount

Dubas was correct however when he said he f***ed the Leafs internal cap by grossly overpaying JT and then trying to keep the lid on what he was going to pay far superior players in MM and AM

he also f***ed up by not resigning MM when his initial ask was reported to be 8.5m x 8 yrs and instead in the words of his agent low balled him

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Tavares has never had a lack of effort in my opinion.

Why bother stripping him this year? Drama for the sake of drama.
sure if you don't consider him walking back into our zone not lacking effort , f***ing guy is usually so far behind the play no one even knows he's on the ice so his linemates get blamed for poor coverage if we get scored on while trying to cover for him

Last edited:

myleafs

May 25, 2021
So you are judging him based on what you think a Captain should be.

Which is fair.

He is not Clarke or Gilmour.

I have zero idea what he dkes in rhe room or not, but I do know that you can be a leader without being the guy in the middle of the scrum.
Just my preference

Reactions: Jojalu

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
"You'll shoot your eye out kid."

Remember that movie. With Ralph and the Red Rider BB gun. And when his dream finally came true what happened.

He shot his damn eye out.

It reminds me of Tavares. He wanted to be Captain of the Leafs sooooo badly. And when he finally got what he wanted guess what happened.

He got punched in the face.

Is it more embarassing taking a beating standing up for yourself and your teammates. Or by doing nothing and skating away stick between legs. Personally I feel if you are going to be taking a punch in the face you may as well give one back.

Otherwise don't be surprised when you keep going home with a black eye.

Team First

Jul 18, 2010
How'd it work out when they drove Sittler to remove the "C" ? It's DECADES of Leaf drama. If you dont stand up for your captain, then you're not captain material yourself. ALL these guys need to prove themselves this season. You don't need the "C" to be a leader.

Reactions: banks

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Question: who's idea was it to name Tavares captain in the first place? Was it Dubas?

You'd have to think a decision that big was made by both Shanny & Dubas.

It probably would have been Matthews but a few months prior he had his drunken 'ass bearing' incident. Would not have been a good look.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
"You'll shoot your eye out kid."

Remember that movie. With Ralph and the Red Rider BB gun. And when his dream finally came true what happened.

He shot his damn eye out.

It reminds me of Tavares. He wanted to be Captain of the Leafs sooooo badly. And when he finally got what he wanted guess what happened.

He got punched in the face.

Is it more embarassing taking a beating standing up for yourself and your teammates. Or by doing nothing and skating away stick between legs. Personally I feel if you are going to be taking a punch in the face you may as well give one back.

Otherwise don't be surprised when you keep going home with a black eye.
classic movie

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Question: who's idea was it to name Tavares captain in the first place? Was it Dubas?

If I am not mistaken, it was Shanny + Babs, Dubas wanted Matthews.

I might 100% be wrong, but that is what I remember from the time, once again, could be wrong... tried to find something about this, but those are the rumours I remember.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
If I am not mistaken, it was Shanny + Babs, Dubas wanted Matthews.

I might 100% be wrong, but that is what I remember from the time, once again, could be wrong... tried to find something about this, but those are the rumours I remember.
From what I remember Shanny wanted Matthews, Dubas wanted Tavares and Babs wanted Rielly. When they found out about the mooning incident with Matthews, that caused Shanny to back off his Matthews support, at which point he sided with Dubas (Tavares) over Babs (Rielly).

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
From what I remember Shanny wanted Matthews, Dubas wanted Tavares and Babs wanted Rielly. When they found out about the mooning incident with Matthews, that caused Shanny to back off his Matthews support, at which point he sided with Dubas (Tavares) over Babs (Rielly).

I don’t believe there has ever been this kinda of granular reporting of who wanted who.

All I will say is that JT seemed like the definition of what Babcock would have wanted as Captain.

Reactions: ACC1224

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
You'd have to think a decision that big was made by both Shanny & Dubas.

It probably would have been Matthews but a few months prior he had his drunken 'ass bearing' incident. Would not have been a good look.
This incident came out days before the captaincy announcement.

It was widely speculated that Matthews was going to be named captain then, but this incident made them pick Tavares instead. Matthews was deemed not ready at the time.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
No they're not.
Screenshot_2024-08-14-11-10-30~2.png

• Haha
Reactions: Sypher04
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events