Speculation: Leafs Captaincy

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It'll either be Stamkos, upon signing long-term as a free agent, or Rielly, in conjunction with signing his long-term extension.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Theres no chance Kadri is the Captain.

He has publically shown very poor judgement poor judgement in games (the throat slash) and privately shown poor judgement forcing Shanny to suspend him.

The fact you had to say "this should upset people" says it all. Hes not captain material.

I see him in another uniform next season, actually.

From the comments he made about (mind you I'm paraphrasing) that he could be as good as Tavares if he wanted to, to being suspended by management to the throat slashing gesture this year....he is nowhere near leadership material.

Rielly, Komarov or Bozak are the 3 options that come to mind. Signing Stamkos and naming him captain same day reminds me all too much of Phaneuf.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Theres no chance Kadri is the Captain.

He has publically shown very poor judgement poor judgement in games (the throat slash) and privately shown poor judgement forcing Shanny to suspend him.

The fact you had to say "this should upset people" says it all. Hes not captain material.

I see him in another uniform next season, actually.

I think he is here next year and signed to a long term deal. Kadri as captain would not be as far fetched as you may think. He was suspended last year and by all reports has done everything that has been asked of him.

The throat slash as a reason is people simply look for reasons to continue to hate on him. It was an emotional act and much worse is done almost every game.

I think that there will be no captain next season unless we sign Stamkos and I think that is not likely as well.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think he is here next year and signed to a long term deal. Kadri as captain would not be as far fetched as you may think. He was suspended last year and by all reports has done everything that has been asked of him.

The throat slash as a reason is people simply look for reasons to continue to hate on him. It was an emotional act and much worse is done almost every game.

I think that there will be no captain next season unless we sign Stamkos and I think that is not likely as well.

The Captain of the Maple Leafs should be held to a higher standard then sloat thrashing gestures IMO.

Could you imagine Mats doing that? I can't.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well he can't exactly say Stamkos will be as Shanny plans on dangling that carrot to lure him to Toronto. ;)

Rielly seems to be a very mature young kid and likely a strong candidate for the "C", but also still a bit young and still developing that you wouldn't necessarily want to add more to his plate at the moment.

Spell Stamkos backwards and its Sok MATS.
It's all there. A conspiracy.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If its Stamkos I would hope they wait a few months before handing over the captaincy to someone who hasn't set foot in the dressing room yet.

Unveiling the new captain before or at the outdoor game would be cool.

horner

May 22, 2007
Leo or Mo

I loved Morgan's interview after the game last night. He was really pissed that we lost..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Captain of the Maple Leafs should be held to a higher standard then sloat thrashing gestures IMO.

Could you imagine Mats doing that? I can't.

With Lou's standards this will no question require a player that they believe is here long-term and has a squeaky clean reputation to wear the Leafs "C".

This decision will not be taken lightly as being the captain of a storied franchise requires high standards as it should.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think Rielly would be a good long-term captain, but he isn't ready yet. He's still too young, and should focus on continuing to develop.

I would just give it to Laich. He's a veteran and looks like he has the respect of his teammates. And then if Laich leaves a year later, then re-evaluate and see if Rielly has earned it.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
Stamkos should not be a lock to receive the captaincy should he sign here.

That would be a nice little FU to the rest of the team who have bled and suffered for this organization.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
imo you don't rush into naming the captain there are lots of options Rielly seems like the best option today but Nylander/Marner might be better options in the future and maybe even whoever we pick with our first round pick weather thats Mathews/Laine/Pulj/Dubois/Chychrun or whoever.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
The consensus seems to be Reilly. Has he been a captain before? He is a very good player, but not sure that translates into the team leader?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
There's no clear leader. Wouldn't surprise me if they go through next season without one.

TMLifer

Jan 8, 2011
Toronto
uq7ez6E.jpg

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well it's obviously Stamkos

Some of you folks ain't very good at reading between the lines

If he can C a team to the cup finals and be picked as one of the locks onto team Canada

well he is good enough to C the team i love from day 1.

He sets a high bar for professionalism, work ethic on and off the ice , highend skill

just to name a few things near and dear to folks like Lou and Babs.

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
The people saying Kadri could be captain don't understand the simple fact that you can have a rat on your team and be successful, but you can NEVER have a rat as your captain and be successful. Stammer or Captain Morgan. Leo gets an A

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010

I found this interesting. Almost sounds like Shanny has somebody already in mind. Nobody really strikes me as captain material in the Leafs organization right now other than maybe Rielly, or maybe he's anticipating a certain somebody signing here?

Who is Long Pause and how is his leadership skills??

Rielly may be too young. Maybe it will be decidednat the end of next season..

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
what Q and A was this? was it on the radio or something? drat.

Kadri as captain: no. just. no.

I don't know if I buy into the whole "Morgan is too young." there have been many a young captains in the NHL. (and before people go "and the market.." meh. there have been many a young captains in tough markets or high expectations on them.

IF it's stamkos (because we've signed him obvs) - I don't think it would be named in September. it would probably be done after a while.

I don't know if it would be Komarov either - or Laich. it would really depend on a lot of mitigating factors.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Stamkos should not be a lock to receive the captaincy should he sign here.

That would be a nice little ** to the rest of the team who have bled and suffered for this organization.

Gardiner is like the longest serving Leaf.

Most of the players haven't been here for more then a few years.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Jay McClement pls. He's worth a 4th rounder.

In all seriousness, I think Rielly is a good way to go. Sure short term, Leo would be nice, but we are talking about the Toronto Maple Leafs here, of someone deserves to be captian it should be for long term, not a season and a half.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4