Speculation: Leafs Captaincy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
So 3 views;
1 short term captain. Liach would get my vote. Grizzled vet; true professional; give him back some dignity for leaving a cup favorite and coming to a bottom feeder; 2 year extension so he retires the captain of the leafs.
2 home grown; captain Morgan. The kid is a natural leader (at least on ice) Babcock even mentioned it in a sideways fashion by saying Jake defers to Morgan all the time; it will be his 4th season pro; true professional; new game player; home grown through and through.
3 import captain; stammer; Nuff said.

I prefer 2 or 3, but combining 1 and 2 would also be acceptable. Give Rielly a couple more years to grow then give him the C.
the 3rd option is good but prefer 2 the most, especially if combined with 1.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
So 3 views;
1 short term captain. Liach would get my vote. Grizzled vet; true professional; give him back some dignity for leaving a cup favorite and coming to a bottom feeder; 2 year extension so he retires the captain of the leafs.
2 home grown; captain Morgan. The kid is a natural leader (at least on ice) Babcock even mentioned it in a sideways fashion by saying Jake defers to Morgan all the time; it will be his 4th season pro; true professional; new game player; home grown through and through.
3 import captain; stammer; Nuff said.

I prefer 2 or 3, but combining 1 and 2 would also be acceptable. Give Rielly a couple more years to grow then give him the C.
the 3rd option is good but prefer 2 the most, especially if combined with 1.

4 no captain ;)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well, didn't the Leafs go two years without a captain between Sundin and Phaneuf? From what I recall we had a bunch of rotating alternates. No one wore the C, that's for sure, unless you mean that technically a C has to be penciled in for each game.... but then, isn't that happening right now anyways?

Yes that's what I meant - "no captain" isn't an option for any one game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This same fanbase wanted to give it to either Komisarek or Beauchemin before they'd even played a game for Toronto so...

Your post makes very little sense.

Komisarek made some sense, wasn't he signed for 5 years? He was a leader where he was and would be here for an extended time.
Laich makes no sense, it's doubtful he makes it through next season here.

How is that even comparable?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I've not expressed an opinion one way or the other regarding any of the players I mentioned, so let's just shut that conversation down right now because I don't care.

And management has nothing to do with a thread in which fans express who they feel should be captain. We can talk all we want about who we think it should be, but it doesn't matter anyway.

You used those players to make a point about how ridiculous this fan base is. You want to get your shots in and then bow out. The least you could do is indulge me a bit when I question your posts.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
You used those players to make a point about how ridiculous this fan base is. You want to get your shots in and then bow out. The least you could do is indulge me a bit when I question your posts.

Easy fanbase to take shots at, oh white knight.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Your post makes very little sense.

Komisarek made some sense, wasn't he signed for 5 years? He was a leader where he was and would be here for an extended time.
Laich makes no sense, it's doubtful he makes it through next season here.

How is that even comparable?

When was it decided the next captain had to be here long-term?

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Yes that's what I meant - "no captain" isn't an option for any one game.

I would be okay with the team doing this for another year or two... or something short term like Liach. I guess I'm just afraid of them giving the C to a younger guy who isn't ready for it.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Because it doesn't jibe with your stance?

Well, didn't he admit it? He was merely assuming it was common sense. :laugh:

Yes.
You think they'll name a Captain that they don't see being with the Team in the future?

Why not? Maybe? What if they feel they need a captain next year? Are our long-term core players Rielly and Nylander ready? Do they want a secondary long-term player like JVR or Gardiner to be the long-term captain? If no and no, then who is left?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Well, didn't he admit it? He was merely assuming it was common sense. :laugh:

Why not? Maybe? What if they feel they need a captain next year? Are our long-term core players Rielly and Nylander ready? Do they want a secondary long-term player like JVR or Gardiner to be the long-term captain? If no and no, then who is left?

I'm sure they realize it's better to have the right Captain then any Captain. If that player isn't on the Team next year, they won't name one.

Only player I can see named Captain next year is Stamkos or Rielly. I would bet pretty much anything it won't be Brooks Laich.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I'm sure they realize it's better to have the right Captain then any Captain. If that player isn't on the Team next year, they won't name one.

Only player I can see named Captain next year is Stamkos or Rielly. I would bet pretty much anything it won't be Brooks Laich.

Yes, it's possible they won't name one at all. That's one possibility among many. That's different and more moderate than saying "Laich makes no sense."

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We just went through this. You've never shown us why any of this was common sense, so just stop looking silly.

You feel it's common sense to name a Player Captain that isn't expected to last the season? :laugh:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
You feel it's common sense to name a Player Captain that isn't expected to last the season? :laugh:

You tell me why you think it's common sense not to have a short-term captain. You said Laich made no sense. You said your opinion was common sense. You can tell us why. Actually elaborate this time, instead of some meaningless one liner.

And more assumptions about not lasting the season? Is it also common sense he is gone at the trade deadline?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
You tell me why you think it's common sense not to have a short-term captain. You said Laich made no sense. You said your opinion was common sense. You can tell us why. Actually elaborate this time, instead of some meaningless one liner.

And more assumptions about not lasting the season? Is it also common sense he is gone at the trade deadline?

yes.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I think it would be a joke if Laich is named captain. I think the guy is dead weight. I hope Leafs have higher standards. Play out next season without a captain and find out who your captain is going to be long term. If it takes more than one season, then so be it. They won't rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad