Speculation: Leafs Captaincy

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

I found this interesting. Almost sounds like Shanny has somebody already in mind. Nobody really strikes me as captain material in the Leafs organization right now other than maybe Rielly, or maybe he's anticipating a certain somebody signing here?

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010

I found this interesting. Almost sounds like Shanny has somebody already in mind. Nobody really strikes me as captain material in the Leafs organization right now other than maybe Rielly, or maybe he's anticipating a certain somebody signing here?

This should upset a few here, if he signs long term, Kadri

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Leo would be a fantastic pick as captain.

He connects with everyone in that dressing room and is a veteran. Plus, the man leads by example every night on the ice.

Rielly would be a pleasant option as well. He's got the potential to be a great leader.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Kadri, the Captain? Come on now. I like the guy and he's really improving, but the Captain of the Leafs? Never. Who thought of that?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Komarov is what you want out of a captain. Gut who leads by example and competes every second he's out there. He would be my first guess, if not him then possibly JVR/Rielly, although i think Rielly is still a little too young. But him saying it will be decided next season could mean a number of things. If somebody steps up and takes the role next year it could be him, or if they have a player they're trying to target it could be him.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Komarovs great but were talking about the next captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Better than Kadri.

In all seriousness, I'd prefer if it was a veteran player, not someone like Rielly thrust into the spotlight at such a young age. Kid is good and all, but let's not overload the guy.

I honestly don't who my #1 choice would be. No one really stands out.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015

I was there for the Q and A, when the kid asked Shanny who the next captain might be, he gave his answer as a group began to chant 'stamkos! Stamkos!'

Shanny seemed amused

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This should upset a few here, if he signs long term, Kadri

Theres no chance Kadri is the Captain.

He has publically shown very poor judgement poor judgement in games (the throat slash) and privately shown poor judgement forcing Shanny to suspend him.

The fact you had to say "this should upset people" says it all. Hes not captain material.

I see him in another uniform next season, actually.

mehavecable

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Go with all A's again. Someone will emerge with time. Remember, there is a lot of pressure wearing the C. Why ask for that kind of trouble?

Mad Brills*

It's going to be someone who will be here long term.

Love leo, but he's only under contract 2 more seasons.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Well he can't exactly say Stamkos will be as Shanny plans on dangling that carrot to lure him to Toronto. ;)

Rielly seems to be a very mature young kid and likely a strong candidate for the "C", but also still a bit young and still developing that you wouldn't necessarily want to add more to his plate at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad