News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
That was an older roster that won the Calder. Dermott, Liljegren and Johnsson for sure, maybe Grundstrom or Timashov, on that roster play for the Leafs.

If Dubas keeps everyone as he said he will, there simply isn't room.
The Marlies had the most entry level contracts of any team in the AHL last season. Please, if you guys don't know, stop making shit up.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You don't think that Marner's production is going to increase by 9 points playing with Tavares? Tavares literally makes waiver wire material into 30 goal scorers.

It's possible that it does, which would up his comparables to the Gaudreau level. It's also possible that he signs this offseason(though I don't believe that's likely). There's also Nylander who you also included as someone who was going to sign for 7-8 after scoring 61 points and he's due a contract now.

My point was your best example was pretty terrible. If you're going to claim guys get 7-8 million after scoring between 61 and 69 points you best not bring up your first example as a guy who got 6.75 after getting 78 points.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
The fact that our team finished top 10 on the backs of Marner, Nylander, Matthews, Rielly, Gardiner and Dermott should be enough to show you how good our development is.

No pick is a slam dunk, outside of Matthews. Imagine if we drafted like NYI? Or developed like EDM?

Again, drafting top 10 picks isn’t massively impressive feat. And guys like Matthews and Mariner spent 0 time in the Leafs developments system, they went straight from juniors to the NHL.

You still have a much easier time getting elite players in the top 10. Let’s see the Leafs draft and develop an elite player outside the top 10 now

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Again, drafting top 10 picks isn’t massively impressive feat. And guys like Matthews and Mariner spent 0 time in the Leafs developments system, they went straight from juniors to the NHL.

You still have a much easier time getting elite players in the top 10. Let’s see the Leafs draft and develop an elite player outside the top 10 now

"The Leafs" isn't a group that you can really judge over time. I never liked Hunter and Lou Lams later picks, and to judge Dubas by their choices would be silly. I don't really see the argument.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Mitch did spend 1 more year in junior. Matthews was already a pro.
And yes, drafting top 10 can be hard. if it's easy, why is everyone other than the Leafs messing up so bad?

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Mitch did spend 1 more year in junior. Matthews was already a pro.
And yes, drafting top 10 can be hard. if it's easy, why is everyone other than the Leafs messing up so bad?
He means they never played within the Leafs organization before making the NHL, so either the AHL or ECHL.

I agree with your point about the top 10. There are tons of busts every single year. Auston was a no brainer pick, but Marner, Nylander, Rielly etc. weren't.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Greening was re signed by us after his contract had expired specifically to play on the Marlies and Smith was also kept around specifically for the Marlies .

and the point wasn't that other teams don't have vets but that people who keep saying we were a very young team carried by the kids are full of ****

Like with many other teams it was a balanced team between vets and kids - but impossible to deny that prospects didn’t play a key role in the team.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

You will

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

If you think the Leafs development program only involves their pro league affiliates then you are dreadfully out of touch with everything Kyle Dubas has been doing the past four years.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Greening was re signed by us after his contract had expired specifically to play on the Marlies and Smith was also kept around specifically for the Marlies . and the point wasn't that other teams don't have vets but that people who keep saying we were a very young team carried by the kids are full of ****

I mean, “carried” might be too strong a word, but I don’t think saying they were the main reason we won is inaccurate.

Our top two leading scores in the playoffs were 22. But where I think our youth really shined was on the back-end. The majority of our defensemen that saw ice time in the playoffs were 25 or younger.

Marincin (25)Holl (25)
Rosen (23)LoVerde (28)
Dermott (20)Liljegren (18)
Nielsen (20) *Lindgren (20)
*Borgman (22)*King (21)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*Saw limited or no playing time in the playoffs.

The only real vet there is LoVerde. I guess you could argue that Marincin is a vet given that he looks like a career AHLer at this point, but everyone else is still a prospect in the eyes of the organization.

Then up front, 9 of our 12 forwards who played in the playoffs were 24 or younger.

Andreas Johnsson (22)Miro Aaltonen (24)Carl Grundstrom (19)
Dymtro Timashov (20)Chris Mueller (31)Ben Smith (29)
Pierre Engvall (21)Frederik Gauthier (22) Colin Greening (31)
Mason Marchment (22)Adam Brooks (21)Trevor Moore (22)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Actually, after looking into it, I think it is pretty damn accurate to say the Marlies were carried by the kids. This in no way subtracts from the impact the vets had, all of whom were spoken highly of after the Marlies won the Calder Cup. But looking at the roster, the age of the players, and the fact that 7 of our top 10 scorers were 24 or younger, I don't think it's a stretch to say the Marlies were carried by the kids. People certainly aren't "full of ****" when they say it.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Johnsson
Kapenen
Grundstrom
Dermott
Lilly
Timo
Bracco
Engvall

And on

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Only 3 of those guys have ever played an NHL game.

We have many more, and I believe many will play in the show.

Obviously they wont all, and most will be good players, not superstars, but I have faith in our system, I mean why wouldn't I, it's as good as any in the league finally.

But anything can happen

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
...because they're still young?

Do you not understand how a development system works?

How can you call someone a development success when they haven’t played in the NHL and could still be a bust? Do you not understand the purpose of a development system?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
We have many more, and I believe many will play in the show.

Obviously they wont all, and most will be good players, not superstars, but I have faith in our system, I mean why wouldn't I, it's as good as any in the league finally.

But anything can happen

My point is that you can’t really say it’s as good as any in the league until it actually consistently produces NHLers

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
My point is that you can’t really say it’s as good as any in the league until it actually consistently produces NHLers

I think that is a fair point.

I mean I believe it's on the way, and some are hitting, but the reality is we were terrible just 4 years ago lol so I see your point.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I think that is a fair point.

I mean I believe it's on the way, and some are hitting, but the reality is we were terrible just 4 years ago lol so I see your point.

Thanks, I’m not saying the Leafs’ system is garbage or anything, just some people are putting the cart before the horse because of the success of your top picks

Reactions: DanM

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
How can you call someone a development success when they haven’t played in the NHL and could still be a bust? Do you not understand the purpose of a development system?

If they were playing in the NHL, they wouldn't be prospects anymore, and everyone would say we have a bad prospect pool.

The majority of our NHL team has come up through the Marlies and our development system, and the system has only improved since then. They have both a history and a present of producing quality NHL talent.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Keeping/signing all four isn’t any issue, not for the Leafs or any team.......where it eventually hurts is the lower guys.....depth guys, older guys who are still effective but not part of your long term plan, movement clauses hurt you with older guys, etc. Those are the areas where cap catches up to you. Signing your top 4-5 guys is a piece of cake.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The AHL has a quota on roster spots that you must give to vets. I don't think you've actually looked through other team's rosters if you think the Marlies used a disproportionate number of vets in key roles. Why shouldn't the Marlies spend more money if they can? I'd rather ice a rich winner, than a poor loser. A winning culture is a far superior environment to develop prospects in.
It's the other way around.

The league has a maximum number of vets that can dress up for a game.

From ahl.com

"Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.” Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season."

From Gurry: "Yeah but would you expect anyone you argue with here to actually know the rules?"

Sorry to mess with your party line...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad