News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
So 3 with Brown, Dermott, and Jonsson. That’s not exactly a ton, it might be more later but it also might not if those guys bust.

And now the Leafs won’t be having 8-12 draft picks in a year so it makes it harder to pick diamonds in the rough. The next few years and drafts will show how good the Leafs development system really is

The fact that our team finished top 10 on the backs of Marner, Nylander, Matthews, Rielly, Gardiner and Dermott should be enough to show you how good our development is.

No pick is a slam dunk, outside of Matthews. Imagine if we drafted like NYI? Or developed like EDM?

Reactions: bionic

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think that's entirely fair. While the Plekanec deal was ill-advised and didn't turn out well. No one here can definitively say that we make the playoffs in 2016/17 without the Boyle acquisition. We lacked stability at our 4th line center position, and our margin to get in was very small.

He decided to go into the 16-17 season with Ben Smith as the 4C. He forced himself into the Boyle trade.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
That was an older roster that won the Calder. Dermott, Liljegren and Johnsson for sure, maybe Grundstrom or Timashov, on that roster play for the Leafs.

If Dubas keeps everyone as he said he will, there simply isn't room.

Older roster is simply false.

The average AHL age is 24, we are under that and our starting line at one point was:

Johansson (22)- Altonen(24)- Kapanen (20)

Dermott (20)- Liljegren (18)

Also for the final Calder cup game, I'll list the players that were over 25 years old:

Ben Smith, Chris Mueller, Colin Greening, Vinecent Loverde.... That's it. 4 guys.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

The average AHL age is 24, we are under that and our starting line at one point was:

Also for the final Calder cup game, I'll list the players that were over 25 years old:

Ben Smith, Chris Mueller, Colin Greening, Vinecent Loverde.... That's it. 4 guys.

Kapenen is 22 next week and didn't play a game in the playoffs for the Marlies. I stated Dermott, Liljegren and Johnsson will be on the Leafs next season.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Holl - Maricin were 25 , Sparks was a few weeks away from 25 and all played large roles

we had some kids but we also had a large number of high priced vets specifically brought in to help the team win

Reactions: Blowfish

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Holl - Maricin were 25 , Sparks was a few weeks away from 25 and all played large roles

we had some kids but we also had a large number of high priced vets specifically brought in to help the team win

The Marlies had the most players on ELCs in the AHL last season, as per Kyle Dubas.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017

Either way, 25 is not old.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The Marlies had the most players on ELCs in the AHL last season, as per Kyle Dubas.
and how many dressed at the same time ?

did Dubas mention how much more the team spent compared to the rest of the teams and did Dubas also happen to mention most organization goal are too develop players and not too use a large number of vets/non prospects in key roles?

Last edited:
Reactions: Blowfish

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
and how many dressed at the same time ?

did Dubas mention how much more the team spent compared to the rest of the teams and did Dubas also happen to mention most organization goal are too develop players and not too use a large number of vets/non prospects in key roles ?

The AHL has a quota on roster spots that you must give to vets. I don't think you've actually looked through other team's rosters if you think the Marlies used a disproportionate number of vets in key roles. Why shouldn't the Marlies spend more money if they can? I'd rather ice a rich winner, than a poor loser. A winning culture is a far superior environment to develop prospects in.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The AHL has a quota on roster spots that you must give to vets. I don't think you've actually looked through other team's rosters if you think the Marlies used a disproportionate number of vets in key roles. Why shouldn't the Marlies spend more money if they can? I'd rather ice a rich winner, than a poor loser. A winning culture is a far superior environment to develop prospects in.
i may be wrong but i believe the quota is how many you're allowed to dress not how many you must dress .

also the point is you can't argue the team won because of our prospects when it's no where near the truth

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017

Yeah but would you expect anyone you argue with here to actually know the rules?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Please make the case that Garret Sparks isn't a legit prospect.
wow out of all those older players all you could do is pick out the goalie , lol

anyway , goalies get a little more leeway since they usually take longer to develop

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

LoVerde
Mueller

That's your "large number" of vets specifically brought in to help the team win.

You also might want to consider that the organization believes having a great team is great for the development of their prospects.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
wow out of all those older players all you could do is pick out the goalie , lol

anyway , goalies get a little more leeway since they usually take longer to develop

You're the one who mentioned him in a post about non-prospects, lol.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
LoVerde
Mueller

That's your "large number" of vets specifically brought in to help the team win.

You also might want to consider that the organization believes having a great team is great for the development of their prospects.
Smith
Greening

and go take a quick look at how many high priced vets Dubas re signed as well brought in for this season just to win

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Smith
Greening

and go take a quick look at how many high priced vets Dubas re signed as well brought in for this season just to win

Smith and Greening were brought in for different reasons, not to help the Marlies win. Greening to get rid of Phaneuf, Smith was supposed to be a 4C option for the Leafs. They stuck around because they liked the organization. Every franchise has guys like this in the AHL. Their Calder Cup opponents top 4 scorers were all older than 25. This is not unique to the Marlies, they can just get better vets because they pay more.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You're the one who mentioned him in a post about non-prospects, lol.
no , i mentioned him when i listed players 25 and older

and unless he surprises few if anyone believe he'll be anything more than a backup at best at the next level

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Smith and Greening were brought in for different reasons, not to help the Marlies win. Greening to get rid of Phaneuf, Smith was supposed to be a 4C option for the Leafs. They stuck around because they liked the organization. Every franchise has guys like this in the AHL. Their Calder Cup opponents top 4 scorers were all older than 25. This is not unique to the Marlies, they can just get better vets because they pay more.
Greening was re signed by us after his contract had expired specifically to play on the Marlies and Smith was also kept around specifically for the Marlies .

and the point wasn't that other teams don't have vets but that people who keep saying we were a very young team carried by the kids are full of shit

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
Yea I’d imagine they trade 1 or 2 at the deadline for help like this year, even if it’s just later round picks like 4th or 5th round.
Lmaoo hmm they could also add more picks also lol..man, all this hate towards the leafs is so lame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad