News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Nor are Players signing team friendly discounts. I was told this would happen. I never believed this. Nothing embarrassing about being right.

Except you’re not right. At every turn you’re here to imply a negative. Those are the circumstances where you arrive in these threads, but won’t respond when people call you on your nonsense, like I did in one of the signing threads yesterday.

“4 blank cheques” is quite different than saying players aren’t giving team friendly discounts.

Reactions: Metroid

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Except you’re not right. At every turn you’re here to imply a negative. Those are the circumstances where you arrive in these threads, but won’t respond when people call you on your nonsense, like I did in one of the signing threads yesterday.

“4 blank cheques” is quite different than saying players aren’t giving team friendly discounts.

If you want to dwell on semantics. Blank cheques is certainly more accurate than team friendly contracts some were saying would happen. Again, I have stood by my position there were never going to be team friendly contracts. I am right thus far.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
If you want to dwell on semantics. Blank cheques is certainly more accurate than team friendly contracts some were saying would happen. Again, I have stood by my position there were never going to be team friendly contracts. I am right thus far.

You’re consistently wrapped up with being right, when you often aren’t at all.

And no, saying these players have been given blank cheques is not more accurate. It’s asinine.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You’re consistently wrapped up with being right, when you often aren’t at all.

And no, saying these players have been given blank cheques is not more accurate. It’s asinine.

Saying Leafs players will take team discounts when they have not, and arguing over the semantics of Dubas giving out blank cheques is more asinine.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Saying Leafs players will take team discounts when they have not, and arguing over the semantics of Dubas giving out blank cheques is more asinine.

I never said anything about team discounts. YOU mentioned blank cheques. If you don’t want to discuss it, maybe you shouldn’t have said it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I never said anything about team discounts. YOU mentioned blank cheques. If you don’t want to discuss it, maybe you shouldn’t have said it.

It doesn't bother me, if you cannot correlate Dubas is handing out in blank cheques in negotiations means. Based on how many likes I got on that post. Most do. And it is true, Dubas is just rewriting RFA values by continually upping them with each contract by basically handing out blank cheques and signing them.

Reactions: MattMartin

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
It doesn't bother me, if you cannot correlate Dubas is handing out in blank cheques negotiations to players means. Based on how many likes I got on that post. Most do. And it is true, Dubas is just rewriting RFA values by upping them.

6 likes? We should throw a parade.

If Dubas was handing out blank cheques, Tavares would be making $13m, and Matthews likely the same.

Yesterday you were hung up on how a 5 year deal means Matthews would be looking to bolt afterwards or else he would have signed for longer - but of course that turned out to be inaccurate when it was Matthews original intention to sign for 8.

So I guess now we are onto this.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
6 likes? We should throw a parade.

If Dubas was handing out blank cheques, Tavares would be making $13m, and Matthews likely the same.

Yesterday you were hung up on how a 5 year deal means Matthews would be looking to bolt afterwards or else he would have signed for longer - but of course that turned out to be inaccurate when it was Matthews original intention to sign for 8.

So I guess now we are onto this.
Literally every player in the league would say that their intention was to sign for 8 years. You expect them to say he did not want an 8 year deal? Id rather look at the actual contract he signed and not meaningless PR.

Rob Bowen

Jan 13, 2019
I have no idea why people are acting like we can't fit this roster under the cap next season. We'll likely be unable to add any significant assets, that's true, but we can easily run our current roster for the next two seasons under the cap. We just have to apply all the bonuses to the cap this year. And we'll have to run a young dcore season after this one and hope for the best, but once Marleau and Horton's contracts are over, we're free from worries over the cap. Likely works out to something like this:

16.2 M cap space
-7M Nylander's new contract
+2M Matthews/Marner ELCs coming off the books
-11M Matthews' new contract
-8M Marner's new contract
-Leivo/Carrick/McBackup replaced by equal cost players
+7M letting Hainsey & Gardiner go to UFA
-2M Liljegren and Rosen/UFA replacing Hainsey/Gardiner
+1M Kapanen's ELC gone
-2-2.5M Kapanen's new contract
+2M cap raise
--------
Comes to 2M over the cap, but with Horton's 5.3M LTIR contract, we're still left with 3.3M in wiggle room.

So there's the math, add 1M each to our 3 young forwards if you're hoping they sign for more, but we're still good cap wise. This would likely be our 2019-2020 roster

[SPOIL]Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Lindholm-Brown

Rielly-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljegren
A mix of Rosen/Marincin/Holl/Borgman/UFA

So obviously in 2019-2020 our D is going to be weak but we'll be betting on it just needing to get the puck out of the zone to let the forwards do their work, so considering it's filled with PMDs it shouldn't be too harmful.
[/SPOIL]
So, tell me why I'm wrong and why we're destined for cap hell unless we trade Nylander/Marner to your team for peanuts :D

If you think Marner's coming in at $8M I hate to break it to ya but....

theBRKDWN Sports – Maple Leafs Extend Auston Matthews

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Literally every player in the league would say that their intention was to sign for 8 years. You expect them to say he did not want an 8 year deal? Id rather look at the actual contract he signed and not meaningless PR.

So does that mean speculation to assume the most negative reason is more valid?

We’ve heard from both sides that 8 years is what was wanted, but apparently that’s meaningless PR and we should believe that because he signed for 5 years - it’s his intent to take off afterwards?

Plenty of 5 year contracts have been signed in the past and those players still re-signed afterwards.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
So does that mean speculation to assume the most negative reason is more valid?

We’ve heard from both sides that 8 years is what was wanted, but apparently that’s meaningless PR and we should believe that because he signed for 5 years - it’s his intent to take off afterwards?

Plenty of 5 year contracts have been signed in the past and those players still re-signed afterwards.
I mean he was gonna get more than Mcdavid if he signed for 8 years. At some point the Leafs shouldve taken a hard stance and said that if he wanted 11 million than its going to be for full term. Now they will be forced to give Marner a similer contract. Im not saying he will bolt but still you cant take that out of the equation since he is from Arizona.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I mean he was gonna get more than Mcdavid if he signed for 8 years. At some point the Leafs shouldve taken a hard stance and said that if he wanted 11 million than its going to be for full term. Now they will be forced to give Marner a similer contract. Im not saying he will bolt but still you cant take that out of the equation since he is from Arizona.

Sure, I’d say it’s possible.

But it’s a similar kind of possible that made people mock Leaf fans for assuming just about every high profile Toronto boy would return home, and so far only Tavares has.

I like to have a little faith that both parties were being truthful regarding the reasoning behind the contract. I mean, it’s the best any of us have to go on.

Reactions: flamesforcup

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Also, Auston's not getting $11m
and then he did.

Dubas: Big 3 need to take a discount.

Matthews and Nylander:
BB35C509-1283-461B-90CE-807BACD17D7C.gif

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
they will be fine id they don't sign anything stupid like Jay Beagle for 3 million or something like that. If you are going to overpay do it with the stars
Nothing really wrong with Beagle for a team like Vancouver with the money to spare. You overpay for Beagle the way the Capitals overpaid Orpik, for what they bring in practice and off-ice. It can only be good for Vancouver's young stars to have a guy like Beagle and his infinite motor pushing them in practice, it's no fluke that a guy like that has a career with championships scattered through it.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Marners camp doesn't look like it is going to budge. Dubas is going to have to make some cap magic happen this summer. "We can, we will" was never in question. It's a matter of it taking about $41 million

Marner's agent says talks are positive and they are close on a number, but will wait until the offseason to get into the finer details.

I think that Ferris is going to milk every dime out of the Leafs that he can. He was the agent involved in Athanasious contract hold out and I think he was involved in a hold out from a player on the flames as well. Not sur if it was Gaudreau or Bennett or someone else who signed in the last couple years.

I would almost guarantee Marner doesnt make less than 10.5 on the same term as Matthews. I doubt he signs the same term but he has a lot of bargaining power. Marner has led the team in points the last 2 seasons (assuming he does this year), hes a high draft pick, hes been healthy and he does a lot of charity type work in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad