Post-Game Talk: Leafs Blank Stars 4-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Here's hoping the forwards keep up the commitment to helping out the D once the regulars return and don't start believing Murray is Superman and resort to their old "once we're up, let's run up the score" ways & hang him out to dry.

I want to believe but I need to see it first.

Reactions: supermann_98

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Since Nov 1 - 3rd best in the league

1670420416796.png

And in that span, we gave the Devils their only L. Got 3 out 4 points
we gave Boston one of their Ls. Got 2 out of 2 points and gave them nothing.

Reactions: OddyOh

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The Leafs are now 3rd on GA/G.

3RD.

THE LEAFS

Guess where the Leafs ranked at this point last season?

Hell, guess where the ranked in mid-January last season.....

That's right, 3rd in the NHL....and then we got the worst goalkeeping in the NHL the rest of the way.

The Leafs have been an incredibly well coached team with great defensive numbers suffering from lack of consistent goaltending ever since Keefe took over but maybe we finally have legit goalkeeping. Injuries remain the real worry.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Murray was excellent. Terrific effort all around. Matthews hitting his stride now

Yes, Murray's Shutout was nice. Marner's streak is nice. But I was happiest about Matthew's snipe.

He is back.

In the last 10 games he regained his snipe and his shooting %
Great numbers.

1670421900796.png

Last 5 games:
1670422623806.png

Last edited:
Reactions: bax

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs are 8th this year in blocked shots.
15th in hits
3rd in takeaways.

Is it possible they have begun to figure it out?
Sustaining that throughout the season will be tough, and they’ll go through a spell where they can’t block shots, every team dies, but they’ll have to pick it up and do it again in the playoffs.

More importantly, they’ve got to stop with the needless, careless penalties.

Reactions: Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Sustaining that throughout the season will be tough, and they’ll go through a spell where they can’t block shots, every team dies, but they’ll have to pick it up and do it again in the playoffs.

More importantly, they’ve got to stop with the needless, careless penalties.
And giveaways...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
And giveaways...
Seems like the young guys were giveaway machines last night, and theyll either learn how to manage the puck, traded for a top 6 winger, or they’ll be handing out popcorn in the press box during the playoffs.

Mar 12, 2009
@lukefixjukebox

Toronto Maple Leafs have a point in 12 consecutive games. This is the team's second-longest point streak ever (16 games, 2003-04).
Huh, I thought we were doing bad because Mess posted that we had roughly the same points as last year around this time, which is inherently bad apparently. Lol.

Mess stopped by in the last PGT to let everyone know how worried he was about Murray after that OT goal he let in. Wondering if we will also hear from Mess tonight?
I've noticed he's been about 80% quieter compared to the summer. Only pops in when a bad game is had, never seems to post when things are going well and better than he predicted.

I HATED the Murray trade when it happened, I hoped the plan was to LTIR him for good if he didn't have a good start and use that cap later...but I can admit when I'm wrong. I guess the difference is some people can admit it, others have to double down and hide until their broken-clock moment.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I will give Keefe credit (and of course the players) for how good the team looks defensively. Hopefully he continues to mature as a coach and stops putting his foot in his mouth.

I really hope Murray can stay healthy for the playoffs. Two things can be true at once, and although the offence hasn't gotten it done, the goaltending has been a big problem in big moments as well.

Also, shout out to Holl. He's a player with some big limitations but he's been laying it all out there.

I'd still fire Engvall and Kerfoot into the sun though.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
too many positives to count from this game TBH. I'll do my best to summarize all of them:

-Marner extends point streak
-JT continues his consistent play
-Matthews really starting to heat up
-Shutout by Murr in what was maybe the best display of goaltending we've seen from any Leafs tendy since Ed Belfour
-the Boys were throwing themselves fearlessly into shooting lanes (this was my favorite thing about last night
-Sandin and Lilly stepping up to look like legit top 4 defensmen. Both of which logged over 23 mins, and were absolutely dominant in there TOI
-killed 7 powerplays against one of the better teams in the NHL......7
-played a man down on the back end for 2 periods I believe, and aside from a couple blunders we played great
-The worse Robertson ended his Pt streak against us
-Kerf breaks his seal, albeit into an empty cage
-Leafs win against a very good team

I think I covered most of it there....

Obviously we don't win that game without Murr, and he deserves the majority of the love here. But that was a playoff style, character building win from the boys. Gutsy effort all night long. Literally the only negatives I can even think was that one PP we had where we gave up like 3 odd man rushes, and our lack of discipline in the penalty department. Especially when Holl threw the puck lol. I had flashbacks of Kappy throwing his broken stick against MTL. Legit thought that was going the turning point. And I was not wrong, it was the turning point IN OUR FAVOUR!!! what a 5 on 3 kill. Shit I forgot that in my list!!!

GO LEAFS GO!!

Reactions: Zacman and kb

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Mete hurt and Brodie might be ready to re-join the team.

Nice things don't usually happen to this group...

Reactions: TMLAM34

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Auston Matthews after 27 games last year: 20 goals, 33 points
Auston Matthews after 27 games this year: 13 goals, 30 points

For a guy whose previous career high in assists before his Hart year was 36, having 46 assists last year and now on pace for 52 this year is some nice development and increases his production floor with his goalscoring.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Huh, I thought we were doing bad because Mess posted that we had roughly the same points as last year around this time, which is inherently bad apparently. Lol.
If one had argued all summer that we massively downgraded, would end the season in the 80s in points, and would struggle to make the playoffs, having the same number of points as we did after our best month in our franchise-record season must feel pretty bad. ;)

• Love
Reactions: Auston 316

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Auston Matthews after 27 games last year: 20 goals, 33 points
Auston Matthews after 27 games this year: 13 goals, 30 points

For a guy whose previous career high in assists before his Hart year was 36, having 46 assists last year and now on pace for 52 this year is some nice development and increases his production floor with his goalscoring.

Important to note his shooting percentage this year is 5% less than his career average. His he does that this year he’d be at 18 goals.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

I've noticed he's been about 80% quieter compared to the summer. Only pops in when a bad game is had, never seems to post when things are going well and better than he predicted.

I HATED the Murray trade when it happened, I hoped the plan was to LTIR him for good if he didn't have a good start and use that cap later...but I can admit when I'm wrong. I guess the difference is some people can admit it, others have to double down and hide until their broken-clock moment.
Anyone that didn’t hate the Murray trade is either a moron or a moron. It’s looking good right now for sure, he has been nothing short of amazing. Hopefully he can stay healthy and keep it up. I’m not getting exciting about this team until they do something when it counts, but the signs are encouraging

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I just got back from watching the WC in Qatar. Most out of the loop I have ever been with the Leafs in my adult life. Guess I should have never come back as this team has completely killed it since i left lol.

Someone give me a summary of the past few weeks!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All hail Murray .. da more I watch him da more I see he is da guy (if he can stay healthy) .. last night reminded me of his last SC run with Pens porous D but it did not matter .. that said it is still pre XMAS hockey .. so can't get too excited yet

Reactions: Jmo89

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
One of this season's best victories for the team IMO. Murray's first shutout with the club; Marner's point streak still intact; debuts of a different kind for Der-Arguchintsev and Timmins. Unfortunate that Jordie Benn missed this game (again vs Dallas too IIRC?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad