GDT: Leafs at Habs (Now, Friday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'm so sick of Armia that I would consider buying him out at the end of the season if we can't get rid of him. I don't want to give up a decent draft pick to trade him. His cap hit would stay on the books for two seasons at a cheap number

2024-2025- $866k
2025-2026- $1.266k

We will finally have finished paying out Karl Alzner's buyout at the end of this season :laugh:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
That's what bugs the shit out of me.....You give plugs and useless vets chances on the PP as opposed to your young talent. I mean does Beaudin really need to be out there on the PP? The coaches and fans know what to expect from Armia and Gallagher. It's almost like they don't want to offend these players by putting the youngsters out there.
Based on his AHL time I agree with seeing what Beaudin can do. Too bad he didn't do better. He's a reclamation project, free money if he works out but it's looking unlikely.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
It was a pretty weak game, but I expected that when I saw the roster posted a day or two before the game. It's definitely not worth the vitriol being spewed as even the better players are mostly complementary guys and will all look worse without Suzuki, Dach, Matheson, and the few guys the habs have who can create.

On the flip side it really brings home the problems the habs have obtaining and developing play drivers. The Leafs have hardly had any picks, and no high picks, but they still had a couple of guys looking good and pressing to make the team. I haven't seen a whole lot of guys really pushing to be noticed on the habs side of things, Roy, maybe, and he'll be good and useful but he won't drive play.

It also brings home just how bad Bergevin's decisions on who he gave big contracts to and who he let walk for nothing were. Radulov may not have been worth what he got but he was worth more than that to the habs because they totally lacked what he brought. Same with Danault. I can understand signing Gallagher and Armia, Gallagher used to be good and underpaid, Armia shows flashes and plays high event hockey that would work better with better players around, but they don't look good in context.

The habs have enough D, loads of G prospects they're going to have to just hope develop, and lots of complementary forwards. They are going to have to take shots at guys who push the play. Dach is looking good, Suzuki is fine, but they need a few more guys who can either control the puck or occupy defending players. The habs still have a few too many guys who are good at cashing in if someone else is driving play, and not many guys who can be the primary focus.

The team isn't that far off, but they are missing the top as opposed to depth. Add a top D, a top forward or two, and a starting goalie and they can compete. The problem is they don't have the picks, the trade value, or the cap space to add those players now. They need some of their picks to take really significant steps or to make some really inspired picks or trades over the next couple of years.

Reactions: Redux91

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Since Markov is gone, so since the 2018-2019 season.
For this exact reason I'm really curious to see the impact that Lane Hutson will have on the PP.

He didn't seem to have those insane cross ice passes that Markov had, but who does? He did seem to be able to keep onto a puck though and move in the O-zone, which we really need right now.

Reactions: Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
For this exact reason I'm really curious to see the impact that Lane Hutson will have on the PP.

He didn't seem to have those insane cross ice passes that Markov had, but who does? He did seem to be able to keep onto a puck though and move in the O-zone, which we really need right now.
Yeah we are not going to see passes like that anymore, what an artist!

Hutson will create havoc though and that seems to be the new thing in us born players. Being unconventional really pays dividends… when you don’t confuse your own teammates :laugh:

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I am dying to know what Marty said :)

About power play. This is now what... year 4 that PP looks absolutely abysmal. 5 even maybe?
In terms of 5v4 GF/60 (and xGF/60 for good measure, because it tells a lot about structure IMO), these are the Habs rankings league wide each season.

Season5v4 GF/60 ranking5v4 xGF/60 ranking
2022-2331st31st
2021-2229th27th
2020-2116th24th
2019-2026th26th
2018-1928th31st (last)
2017-1820th3rd
2016-1714th30th (last)
2015-1623rd17th
2014-1526th23rd
2013-1420th23rd
2012-1310th11th
2011-1230th (last)18th
2010-116th10th
2009-102nd6th
2008-0913th7th
2007-081st2nd
So, last time the PP was "average" was 2020-21. 17-18 is really whack due to the difference in ranking for GF and xGF. Too far for me to remember how our PP played that season, but it seems we had a good structure but poor finishers (or alternatively, our structure wasn't suited for our players to actually score more than just get chances).

In terms of actual scoring, it's been nearly a decade since we've last been above average, and 13 years since our PP was last "great".

Habbietat

Jul 1, 2022
So do people think what Barron needs can be taught? Legit question, he seems to have all the tools and some seem to think he will improve but right now I see him slowly turning into like a tyler myers, very ineffective defenceman

Reactions: Clipitar

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
So do people think what Barron needs can be taught? Legit question, he seems to have all the tools and some seem to think he will improve but right now I see him slowly turning into like a tyler myers, very ineffective defenceman

He's still young. I think he needs another year to split NHL/AHL time before being ready full time.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One thing that struck me was how unhappy MSL looked as he was leaving his presser. I think much of it had to do with his vets not leading the way.
When your best players are Owen Beck Joshua Roy and Parker whats his name I think he has every right to be frustrated. Bottom line the passiveness on both sides of our special teams is once again a huge concern. No one in the media questions him about it and no one in our organization seems to have an answer. I think it's high time someone spoke up about it and they should be addressing HuGo who seem to be happy with our coaching staff. I think most will agree Robidas and MSL have been fine. I'm not sure what Letowski's purpose is and Burrows should have been put on notice last season.

Reactions: Runner77

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
One thing that struck me was how unhappy MSL looked as he was leaving his presser. I think much of it had to do with his vets not leading the way.
When your best players are Owen Beck Joshua Roy and Parker whats his name I think he has every right to be frustrated. Bottom line the passiveness on both sides of our special teams is once again a huge concern. No one in the media questions him about it and no one in our organization seems to have an answer. I think it's high time someone spoke up about it and they should be addressing HuGo who seem to be happy with our coaching staff. I think most will agree Robidas and MSL have been fine. I'm not sure what Letowski's purpose is and Burrows should have been put on notice last season.
I think it had to do with the questions asked. Every question every single journalists asked last night only had 1 reasonably possible answer, complete waste of time.

Reactions: The Nightman

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Based on his AHL time I agree with seeing what Beaudin can do. Too bad he didn't do better. He's a reclamation project, free money if he works out but it's looking unlikely.

he was a healthy scratch in Laval at times, the only way I would want him on the Habs is to help the tank, his decision making is flat out terrible.

Reactions: Runner77

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm so sick of Armia that I would consider buying him out at the end of the season if we can't get rid of him. I don't want to give up a decent draft pick to trade him. His cap hit would stay on the books for two seasons at a cheap number

2024-2025- $866k
2025-2026- $1.266k

We will finally have finished paying out Karl Alzner's buyout at the end of this season :laugh:
Trade a young player for futures, or add said young player to Armia.

Though, a guy like Barron might tank his value by then.

Or potentially play better and be too valuable to be a sweetener to a cap dump.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Aside from Andy's goal there are 3 highlights for the Habs in the entire 9m video:

Beaudin point shot on the PP, blocked by a Leaf
Parker Johns in the slot
Primeau saves

:slaugh:

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
I think it had to do with the questions asked. Every question every single journalists asked last night only had 1 reasonably possible answer, complete waste of time.

And it's self preservation. There will be a dozen of presser with bad question. MSL is galant enough to expend on weak questions quite often but it's energy saving.

Reactions: MasterD

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

2024-2025- $866k
2025-2026- $1.266k

It is really hard to shake the Rinse and Repeat Era.......LOL

• Haha
Reactions: FrankMTL

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
0 for 6 on the PP................lol how bad does it have to be, before someone gets replaced???
Fix the PP and the offense will be so much better.....need our best horses on the PP and only them guess.............................and even then, it can be so much of an adventure.

Brutal to go 0 for 6 on the PP.

Reactions: Rapala

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

The Habs PP issues is a bit more than a lack of Markov thought, the current group takes way too much time to execute and aren't in sync which makes them easy to counter/pressure. They can't even do zone entries properly.

Lets not talk about holding into the puck and cycle, only 3 players on the team can manage it for more than a few seconds: Dach, Slaf and Armia and Armia is a bad passer.

Barron mostly need to go visit the team psychologist. His problems are mostly mental. Bubble/fumble the puck under (role) pressure, avoid contacts despite his frame, etc.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Barron had a bad game, but you re making it look as if the other guys had been a lot better in the pre season games.

All Ds were lost in this game, the systems are not in place / not understood at all, they were all lost on the ice.

Barron was good in the AHL last year, and showed good things at NHL level why discard 39 games (+ AHL reps) for the sake of one pre season game ?
I'm not discarding anything for the sake one meaningless preseason game.

I'm just not in awe of Barron after his call-up last season at all. As an offense-first D, sure, his point production after his call-up was promising -- for that aspect of his nature.

Being easier to knock off the puck than Harris, though, isn't.

Not recognizing your defensive assignments near the net in your own zone isn't.

Playing softly, isn't.

Being La-di-da with the puck your stick isn't.

Not rising to the occasion two times in a row when a spot is wide-open for your taking at training camphor lack any serious RHD candidates, ready for the NHL, isn't.

This is not the question of one bad game, although, for that one, his pairing partner couldn't shield Barron from himself, defensively, either, nor could he complete him, offensively.

When we're looking at which LHDs could play well on their off side, it must be because Barron can't carry the mail right now, no?

AllI'm saying -- pointing out -- is that Barron is still a long ways from being an NHL D, much less a top-4 D and definitely not a first pairing D as some are farcically suggesting.

Mailloux brings a physical element that, for Barron, appears more complicated than reading hieroglyphics.

Despite defensive liabilities of his own -- that also need to be improved upon -- that physically at least addssomethinl for the player when he is on the ice.

Mailloux also causes turnovers, but those come because of Mailloux's over-eagerness to create something when he has the puck on his stick.

For Barron, it's because he gets the puck picked away from him as he loses battles for the puck, or because he is caught in an overconfident, daydreaming session at critical moments.

Sometimes, I wonder about Barron's overall hockey IQ, beyond his reluctance together involved, physically.

His own words cause this concern... He talks about wanting to make the right play, but the game being fast and so many reads to make in his latest post game interview. (Sorry, can't find the article with the exact quotes that I think are even worse than what I just wrote)

Doesn't sound like someone ready for the NHL yet and provides ample reason to have Barron start in Laval again.

Unless it's a question of how Barron handles playing under pressure (pressure of playing well enough to grab a chair, VS playing on an injury-plagued team in a meaningless end to a meaningless season)?

If that's the problem, I'm even more concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to see Barron play like a solid, top-4 D, but that's certainly not what I'm seeing now, or in the immediate future -- or ever, even, if Barron doesn't address key components of his game.

Montreal could certainly use a top-4 RHD as there currently none playing at the NHL level; not Savard, not Kovacevic, not Barron, not Lindstrom and not Harris or Xhekaj playing on their off sides.

That lack quality on the right side is what makes Mailloux all that more alluring. Just hope it won't lead to him playing immediately the NHL as he still needs to work on aspects his game, away from the limelight and with more TOI to iron out the kinks.

Mailloux has already missed so much time in the last few years...

Reactions: MasterD and Tyson

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Gallagher broke his body to get to this point and sadly, he has nothing left. One of the hardest things for me as a fan to witness is when I watch an athlete hang on too long.
Gally is hanging on the big money pot right now, not playing for the sake of playing. It even looks like he phoned in his off-season training since his cardio looks worst than last year.

Reactions: Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad