LD Owen Power - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fresh Prince55

Sep 2, 2020
Ha! If the Kings pick top-10 again next year and can somehow snag one of the high-end defensemen (Clarke, Edvinsson, Power, Lambos, Hughes) they'll have one of the most ridiculous prospect pools in recent memory.
Would be a great year to add a blue chip defenseman

Reactions: kilowatt

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I hope he's the first ever draft pick of the Seattle Kraken. Would be amazing for Seattle to build their blue line around this guy.

Maybe keep him at Michigan and hopefully the Kraken get Shane Wright too. Hoping Seattle gets a good beginning in the NHL.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I hope he's the first ever draft pick of the Seattle Kraken. Would be amazing for Seattle to build their blue line around this guy.

Maybe keep him at Michigan and hopefully the Kraken get Shane Wright too. Hoping Seattle gets a good beginning in the NHL.
Between Power, Clarke, Johnson, Hughes, Lambos, Edvinsson, and Räty, they’ll have some great options. I’m excited to see what their team makeup looks like.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006

this isn’t a cut and dry situation, that’s for sure. Power could miss a lot of games, with no guarantee of playing even if makes the team. Glad I’m not the one making the decision.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

this isn’t a cut and dry situation, that’s for sure. Power could miss a lot of games, with no guarantee of playing even if makes the team. Glad I’m not the one making the decision.

Can he go to the Q? or Does a WHL team own his rights? Seems like an easy decision to leave school for a player thats guarnateed to play in the NHL.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Can he go to the Q? or Does a WHL team own his rights? Seems like an easy decision to leave school for a player thats guarnateed to play in the NHL.

The issue is he needs game action in his draft year. If he goes, he’s gone for 51 days. If he makes the team, but is a scratch every night, is that best for his career? I’m honestly not sure. It’s a bad situation.

Reactions: Muffinalt and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The issue is he needs game action in his draft year. If he goes, he’s gone for 51 days. If he makes the team, but is a scratch every night, is that best for his career? I’m honestly not sure. It’s a bad situation.
Good point! The NHL is going to have some tough decisions to make come draft time if players dont get enough games in.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why can’t he play for Michigan and his place for the team be assessed separately? If he makes the team, he can join the team a few days before.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Why can’t he play for Michigan and his place for the team be assessed separately? If he makes the team, he can join the team a few days before.

Team Canada is having a bubble for tryouts. It starts at the end of the month. He could be away from Michigan for 51 days, and then he would have to quarantine when he got back into the States.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

IMO that is the best decision.. it could be problematic if he joins the bubble late and has to quarantine etc. He has to play games imo.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020

Because he is no where near a lock to make the team that's why. He would have to go and earn a spot and if he misses the entire camp how is that fair to add him? I wouldn't be surprised if a few players turn down the chance to play at WJC and instead stay and play NCAA based on the schedules. With the quarantine restrictions, players could miss a massive chunk of their already shortened NCAA season. Add on 14 day quarantine on the front end of the tournament then 14 days at the end when they return to school and the tournament and kids could be missing 40+ days of school/games. You could make the case a 4th liner or 3rd goalie would be better suited to stay at school and play rather than waste an already shortened season to get a few shifts over 5 games in 40 days. Thats not ideal development in a strange year. Lets not forget the rosters are larger too....

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There's a very good chance Power wouldn't make this year's team anyway. I see some posters penciling him in the top four and I don't see it.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
There's a very good chance Power wouldn't make this year's team anyway. I see some posters penciling him in the top four and I don't see it.

Yeah I mean aren’t there a handful of first rounders in front of him? I think he could be an extra, absolutely, but he wouldn’t get much run.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Team Canada is having a bubble for tryouts. It starts at the end of the month. He could be away from Michigan for 51 days, and then he would have to quarantine when he got back into the States.

I know, but this creates such a terrible situation for Power and Levi. The hierarchy has seen them play plenty. They know their chances to make the team. In fact, I'm sure the hierarchy already have depth charts for the team. It's highly unlikely that their chances to make the team are all too different if they attend the camp than if they didn't and were assessed separately.

As the Michigan coach explained in that article, you have to think about the long-term development of these prospects. The goal of youth hockey is to develop players, not win. All countries have it difficult right now with assessing their players. You have to work with the path's your players choose. You can't tailor everything to fit one specific league, and then tell those playing elsewhere they need to completely upend their seasons or they won't make the team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because he is no where near a lock to make the team that's why. He would have to go and earn a spot and if he misses the entire camp how is that fair to add him? I wouldn't be surprised if a few players turn down the chance to play at WJC and instead stay and play NCAA based on the schedules. With the quarantine restrictions, players could miss a massive chunk of their already shortened NCAA season. Add on 14 day quarantine on the front end of the tournament then 14 days at the end when they return to school and the tournament and kids could be missing 40+ days of school/games. You could make the case a 4th liner or 3rd goalie would be better suited to stay at school and play rather than waste an already shortened season to get a few shifts over 5 games in 40 days. Thats not ideal development in a strange year. Lets not forget the rosters are larger too....

I think they said it'll be a 2-3 days instead of 14. The whole restrictions when entering countries/provinces/states to begin with are ridiculous. It puts these kids in such a terrible position for no real risk to their health. I don't know which players will choose to do what, but this is going to be something thats going to need to be figured out not just for this tournament but also for the NHL.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
I think they said it'll be a 2-3 days instead of 14. The whole restrictions when entering countries/provinces/states to begin with are ridiculous. It puts these kids in such a terrible position for no real risk to their health. I don't know which players will choose to do what, but this is going to be something thats going to need to be figured out not just for this tournament but also for the NHL.

The issue isn't just at the border quarantining its when they return to their university they have to quarantine as well and some schools make it mandatory 14 days or 3 negative tests. For individual development I think most 4th line kids and especially 3rd goalies would be better off staying and playing NCAA. These kids have already missed 8 months of playing in games and that would stretch to about 10 months of not playing at that point.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Between Power, Clarke, Johnson, Hughes, Lambos, Edvinsson, and Räty, they’ll have some great options. I’m excited to see what their team makeup looks like.

I wonder how the 21 Dman class will match up historically with the Dmen in the 18 draft class?

Also for my money Brandt Clarke is the frontrunner right now.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I wonder how the 21 Dman class will match up historically with the Dmen in the 18 draft class?

Also for my money Brandt Clarke is the frontrunner right now.

At least 4 top 10 picks will be defensemen in 2021. I'd go so far as to say a possibility of 6 go top 10.

EDIT:
I think these guys end up going anywhere between the 1 and 6 slots.
Clarke
Power
Lambos
Edvinsson

Luke Hughes looks to go 7 to 11.
Daniil Chayka with an outside chance, or coming damn close to a top 10 pick.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I get the argument about the academics, that is almost an entire semester. Unless he has virtual options for all of his classes it would be incredibly difficult to manage.

From a playing perspective its a tough call, when does the NCAA envision starting their season? Also as we have seen with all other leagues it will likely get pushed back as well so maybe he wouldn't even be missing much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad