LD Owen Power - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Owen Power at eliteprospects.com

The kid is 6'5 215 at 17 years old, and he's a good skater with a lot of offensive potential. He's a home run pick. I pray he lands in LA.
The Kings already have Byfield, back off! Other teams need high end talent too :sarcasm:

But honestly as it stands right now its hard seeing Power not going top 3 based of the sure rarity of his overall tools, just like Byfield in 2020. He's the type of D to go high in just about any draft, even one that is comparatively weak at forward. It just so happens that 2021 has an insane amount of high end D to fill the gap that I don't feel like the top 10 is too much worse overall than last years. Honestly, it might be even better.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The Kings already have Byfield, back off! Other teams need high end talent too :sarcasm:

But honestly as it stands right now its hard seeing Power not going top 3 based of the sure rarity of his overall tools, just like Byfield in 2020. He's the type of D to go high in just about any draft, even one that is comparatively weak at forward. It just so happens that 2021 has an insane amount of high end D to fill the gap that I don't feel like the top 10 is too much worse overall than last years. Honestly, it might be even better.

Ha! If the Kings pick top-10 again next year and can somehow snag one of the high-end defensemen (Clarke, Edvinsson, Power, Lambos, Hughes) they'll have one of the most ridiculous prospect pools in recent memory.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Ha! If the Kings pick top-10 again next year and can somehow snag one of the high-end defensemen (Clarke, Edvinsson, Power, Lambos, Hughes) they'll have one of the most ridiculous prospect pools in recent memory.
It could very well happen. Next season is going to be pure chaos so it is especially tough to predict how things are going to shake out. And based on the much more limited quantity of information teams will be working on, I think the draft will be even more chaotic. Wouldn't shock me to see all 5 of those players go top 10. I think we see at least one Seider-level stunner in the top 10 and even more in the back half of the 1st round.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Right now if a team gets a top 10 pick, it looks like they have about a 70% chance or so to pick a high end dman lol. Lots can change in a year but the only forwards looking like top ten picks right now are Johnson and Raty (with Raty not impressing early), could be a historic year for dmen with 7 or 8 in the top 10.

I love his name, frontrunner for 1st OA right now?

Not the front runner but one of the early favourites with a mix of Clarke and Johnson I would say right now.

The idea of Power and Seider patrolling the blue line for Detroit when they make playoffs again is awesome as a wings fan. Should be a scary thought for the smaller skilled teams in the NHL right now

SenSaddest

Jan 31, 2015
Curious to see how people view Owen Power vs. Jamie Drysdale.

Are they in the same tier? If Owen Power wasn't a late birthday, how would he stack up in this draft class?
Jamie Drysdale is a better player right now, this is from on ice experience

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Jamie Drysdale is a better player right now, this is from on ice experience

Drysdale definitely better right now and more accomplished but Power definitely has a more intruiging package and upside as a prospect I think. Drysdale being better now doesnt necessarily mean he would be drafted first and I dont think he would.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Drysdale definitely better right now and more accomplished but Power definitely has a more intruiging package and upside as a prospect I think. Drysdale being better now doesnt necessarily mean he would be drafted first and I dont think he would.
I’m not all that sure that Drysdale is better than power currently. Maybe offensively. Power was the best player on the best team in the USHL last year. The package of skill and size makes him a tier, maybe 2, ahead of Drysdale for me.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
There are at least five blue-chip defensemen right now in the 2021 top ten. I will gladly take any of them.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
He's very highly touted and hyped but most Canadian followers don't watch the USHL. If the NCAA season happens, he'll get a lot more publicity playing for Michigan if he continues to perform.

But it's not correct to say he was "not even on a stacked team." Chicago was a powerhouse team and absolutely stacked. Arguably one of the best teams ever in the USHL. They won 41 of their 49 games and were loaded with high quality players and prospects like Brisson, Colangelo, Farrell, Samoskevich, Coronato, etc. That team was beyond stacked.
And what makes it more impressive is the age of most of the guys you mentioned. Not a bunch of 19-year-olds.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I see the Pronger name being floated as a comparable, does he play with a mean streak?

No. He is more akin to an Eric Johnson but is probably a superior skater to both Pronger and Johnson at that age.

He is also a late birthday so his physical development is ahead of most in this draft group. He was pretty spectacular to watch at Chicago this past year though and his offensive game has taken off over the years. When he was at the u17s he was a defensive stalwart with little to his offensive game but he has grown by a lot since then.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Is it regular season? What other conferences have announced schedules?

Yeah that's B1G 10 still not sure on details as they are coming out this week
but that is the opening game for the hounds, badgers, wolverines

NCHC is running a pod format in Ohio starting in december around the 3rd as some of the schools are on the quarter system and already on winter break so it works great for that conference. But WJC players will miss a lot of games in that conference because of them having to leave the bubble early to enter the world junior bubble

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Pearson did say he likes how he initiates the transition almost instantly in practice, compared it to hughes.
tilting the ice in their favor
"trusting the breakout will happen around him", instead of waiting for it to happen then transitioning.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Highly doubtful Power is going to be available at #4

Drysdale was a king of a weak D class

And he was the 2nd defenseman chosen.

Power was the best defenseman in the USHL last season, as well as the best player on the best team in the USHL. Great skater, hitter, passer, shooter. All his hard skills are all well above average bundled with a very high hockey IQ. He's almost definitely going to be a top 5, or even top 3 pick. I'd even go as far as saying he'll be #1.

Reactions: Ghetty Green
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad