LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Like DeBrincat, and like Caufield, this prospect wasn’t 6 foot 4 and magically shrunk to under 6 feet.

He has tailored his game in a way that has let him excel at almost every facet comparative to his peers.

Him being undersized would only be of a concern to me if he was once a giant relying on his physical attributes- but I’m sure he knows his shortcomings and where his style of play can shine.

You don’t need a monstrous shot to excel and be an all-star in this league, as long as the rest of the package is there. You don’t need to be the biggest guy, you don’t have to be the fastest.

I’m confident the rest of the package is up to par and more than makes up for his lack of size in which he has tailored his game to accommodate.
I'm assuming you're a sens fan.

One of the things that impressed me so much aside from Karlsson impressing me so much with anything and everything to do with offense was his most lethal shot was a basic wrister he could get through traffic. He had a nice shot and could pick corners, but he got could get his shot through and it was hard/fast enough to beat goalies, but he took enough off that the forwards could tip it.

It's so hard to get pucks through and Karlsson seemed to do it with ease most nights.

If Hutson can get even half as good as Karlsson was at doing that, I don't care if he develops a laser beam of a shot.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Can he be a forward at even strength and QB the PP? I'm thinking Seamus Casey might end up making the NHL as a hybrid forward/dman and I wonder if Hutson's got similar ability if it turns out he can't handle even strength NHL defensive responsibilities.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Can he be a forward at even strength and QB the PP? I'm thinking Seamus Casey might end up making the NHL as a hybrid forward/dman and I wonder if Hutson's got similar ability if it turns out he can't handle even strength NHL defensive responsibilities.
That just nullifies what makes him great. Controlled zone exits, entries, first pass out of the zone. I always find it odd that people would want to muzzle a player with elite puck moving abilities. People kept bringing it up with Subban before he made the NHL. No, just let him do what he excels at, at the position he excels at.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Yeah his strengths come from the back end. I'd just pair the biggest meanest defensemen on the roster with him and let him do his thing.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The fandom in here is fascinating right now. Fanbases calling each out for biases

07CFD7A2-F442-4E37-BD17-B8AEB06FC544.jpeg

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
This is true. However, net results will change - and are changing - thought processes and I credit that to the success that players such as Erik Karlsson, Shayne Gostisbehere, Cale Makar, Adam Fox, and Quinn Hughes have had. All of those players saw their draft status hampered due to their style, size and competition. What the league is seeing firsthand now is that smaller, thin players are producing wonderful stats. Just look at Jack Hughes, Trevor Zegras, Mitch Marner, etc. at forward. Connor Bedard is 5-10 and will go 1st and absolutely dominate the NHL in the coming years.

That said, your point is well taken, and you are correct when you allude to scouts making the "safe play" and checking off all the boxes, which include size, body, and reach.

My point is that Hutson is showing that he will be able to compensate for his lack of size with superior skill, agility, hockey IQ, and offensive instincts. When you look at his production this year, I believe I recently read that he has the highest PPG for an NCAA defenseman at his age, ever? He was pacing ahead of guys like Leetch, Fox, and both Hughes defensemen.

If the NHL was still being played like it was in the 90s or DPE, there's a chance a kid like Hutson doesn't even make the show due to executive mindset, but in 2023 and beyond, this kid will be given every opportunity to be the next Housley, Svoboda, Leetch, Rafalski, Karlsson, Hughes... or at a lesser extent... Krug and Gostisbehere.
I really like Hutson as a prospect that i must say. The lenght is a concern for any short dman but Hutson may have tools to compensate that. I really like how he controls PP, even though he could pass more and sooner.

Anyway there is always a ton of skilled small defensemen who wont make it. Maybe because hockey iq or maybe because they cant handle their own end. Think David Quenneville or Cam Dineen. Rick Nash barreling down is helluva challenge for undersized defensemen.

-

League is changing towards high scoring but for an example Zergas is awfull in his own zone. Do young player get too much play time too fast? I think so. If you wanna win the cup you have to defend. The defense still wins the stanley cups. Not just defensemen but a whole teams defensive effort.

Last thing: hard work from another team reduces skills from the other team. The point is that winning needs more than high octane offence.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Fortunately the Habs have one of the biggest meanest Dmen in the league at 21. 6'4 240lbs Arber Xhekaj. We've even played him on the right this year and he did it in junior
I like Xhekaj, watched him a ton when he played with McTavish.

Reactions: Guess

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Believe both are LHD - so you’re gonna want a right handed guy as his partner. definitely someone who is more defensive oriented.
Yeah, they are not small at RD as well, just less talented.

Savard 6'1 225
Kovacevic 6'4 205
Barron 6'2 201
Mailloux 6'3 217

Could you imagine the young D core if they drafted Jiricek instead of Slaf?

Guhle-Jiricek
Hutson-Mailloux
Xhekaj-Barron

Then you still have NHL proven depth with Harris, Kovacevic... All 25 and under. I was a big Jiricek fan (had him #3 after Wright and Cooley) last year. Anyways.

Savard and Matheson are underrated veterans Ds as well, will help with transition.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Believe both are LHD - so you’re gonna want a right handed guy as his partner. definitely someone who is more defensive oriented.

It's one of the reasons I want Reinbacher, I think he should be top 10 anyways and would allow a future dcore of all good skaters and the only one under 6'2 would be Hutson

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
It's one of the reasons I want Reinbacher, I think he should be top 10 anyways and would allow a future dcore of all good skaters and the only one under 6'2 would be Hutson

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Mailloux

I don't have an opinion on Reinbacher but this make more sense to me:

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Barron

Mailloux is more offensively gifted than Barron. Barron is like a Brisebois while Mailloux is like a Malakhov.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I don't have an opinion on Reinbacher but this make more sense to me:

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Barron

Mailloux is more offensively gifted than Barron. Barron is like a Brisebois while Mailloux is like a Malakhov.

When I first wrote I had them written as Barron/Mailloux on both pairings tbh.

I put Barron Guhle together though as they have played together in the past in tournaments and while it wasn't for long they looked good together.

Reactions: Kojo

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I think it’s been like that all/most of the season, but I could be remembering wrong too. Tried to confirm with the “Wayback Machine”, an web crawler that captures snapshots of sites over time, but seems like it’s not working properly for the BU site, captures the site’s header but none of the content :/
Ah fair enough, ty for all the details. Although, that would still be quite the outlier. 1.75” (or 1.5”) in 7 months may be ordinary at say 14, but it’s extremely unusual at 18. On average men grow ~0.3” in 2 years from 18 to 20, with certainly plenty of variance, but anything over 1” after turning 18 is quite rare, especially in just 7 months.

But certainly, if it’s over 7 months, and he’s rounding up, then yeah, 1.5” over 7 months does seem more plausible than 1.75” over 4. Still extremely rare at that age, though. It’s possible, but I’d still side towards there being some exaggeration, along the lines of a “generous” measurement where he’s lifting up his heels and they aren’t really pushing his hair all the way down, so that he’s maybe 5’9.25”, not 5’9.75”. If you’re a small NHL prospect, especially a dman, size is soooo important to your career, it’s human nature to lie a bit, which makes me doubt unusually high growth that isn’t backed up by rigorous, unbiased measurements (like at the combine). But who knows, he could also be a real extreme outlier in terms of grow rate at 18.

FYI, at the U20 in Dec/Jan his measurements were:

9FDB2BF3-2590-4CB3-9390-422A22FDBB7C.jpeg

If you convert 1.75 m…

6ED7E37A-8460-4B44-BFBD-082BF58D5BB4.jpeg

So they had him at 5’ 8.9” and 154.

So he did grow from the 5’ 8.25” measured in June at the NHL Combine, though he wasn’t heavier. (He was weighed at 158 then.)

Reactions: ponder

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Maybe I was having a bad day and that I was triggered because there was a whole page arguing on semantics on being lucky vs being genius. I agree that the other GMs don't look dumb since we could say the same thing for every steals in every drafts. Drafting is such a crapshoot most of the time.

Maybe I didn't fully understand your argument and I confused your post for a toxic one (this forum is full of toxic posters at which we all roll our eyes out loud) and I apologise for that. I do agree Hutson was well worth a 1st round selection talent and potential-wise, but I also get why he fell to the 2nd round since he's the perfect boom or bust prospect.

As for being lucky that he fell to 62. Maybe they were, maybe not. Scouts talk to each other. They probably even get together for a drink after games and discuss things they should not openly discuss since they are ''rivals''. Our scouts might have understood that he would fall in the draft. Was it a risk? Yep. But it was a calculated one.
I know I'm totally speculating right now. All I'm saying is that drafting is a mix of knowledge, gambling, timing and luck. Let's hope all these align for Hutson!
Don't worry. English isn't my native language so my wording might've make it sound like I wanted to be toxic, and as you said, there's so much negativity here that I would've assumed the same as you.

Also, I see you point about scouts talking with each other, but I have a hard time to believe that any scouts would say something specific that might put their job at risk. Some might've pointed out that they aren't fans, and our scouts and GM probably know which teams never go for this kind of prospects.

They probably made all these homework and figured he would be available there, but you never know if another team will trade up around 50 if they can't believe he's still available. Those things happen often, so that's why I talked about luck. Probably a "calculated" risk, like you said, but since I'm very high on Hutson potential, I don't think it's a wise risk, but I'm very happy it worked out!

Last edited:
Reactions: Casual

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
It's a well known fact that if your defensemen doesn't look like this:

artworks-ywcx1pUzUGGvjwmH-BUNWRA-t500x500.jpg

They are a bunch of no good manlets and won't do anything in the NHL ever

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
This dude is insane. Top 15 in a redraft if done today, which is crazy to see a guy jump 45 spots just 8 months after the draft

Reactions: CapSpace
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad