LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
He may or may not be taller but one thing is certain in that his height gain, if any, would not be apparent by watching him from a distance, ie the stands but would be apparent if an actual measurement was taken.

Interesting prospect to be sure but size will always be somewhat of an issue for Lane to deal with at the NHL level.
i deleted the post because i saw there was other pages and someone already responded lol

But i’m not joking, it is apparent. He’s also faster than he was in october.

I don’t know if someone that has been watching him since october can confirm i’m not crazy? Lol

Casual

Sep 10, 2014
I'm amaze that you took your time to call me out for being "negative", while people are arguing about random 1 inche size difference and other irrelevent things.

The whole point of my argument was to answer to someone who said that 31 GMs look dumb right now. I'm not the first one who said they looked dumb, but by that logic, Mtl GM should also be in that lot, since Hutson is proving he should've been taken in the 1st round and they took the risk he wouldn't be there at 62. They've been mostly lucky.

What I'm saying about Hutson from the start is that he's proving that he was very well worth a 1st round selection. How am I the negative one?
Maybe I was having a bad day and that I was triggered because there was a whole page arguing on semantics on being lucky vs being genius. I agree that the other GMs don't look dumb since we could say the same thing for every steals in every drafts. Drafting is such a crapshoot most of the time.

Maybe I didn't fully understand your argument and I confused your post for a toxic one (this forum is full of toxic posters at which we all roll our eyes out loud) and I apologise for that. I do agree Hutson was well worth a 1st round selection talent and potential-wise, but I also get why he fell to the 2nd round since he's the perfect boom or bust prospect.

As for being lucky that he fell to 62. Maybe they were, maybe not. Scouts talk to each other. They probably even get together for a drink after games and discuss things they should not openly discuss since they are ''rivals''. Our scouts might have understood that he would fall in the draft. Was it a risk? Yep. But it was a calculated one.
I know I'm totally speculating right now. All I'm saying is that drafting is a mix of knowledge, gambling, timing and luck. Let's hope all these align for Hutson!

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't see much of a difference between a 6' and 170 pound defenseman and a 5'9" and 175 pound one.

I'm more concern that Hutson adds muscle into the 180-190 pound range then another inch in height. There have been a lot of shorter NHL defenseman that were strong and nasty as all hell. Odelein was listed at 5'11" but that was about two inches on the generous size. On the other hand, he was built like a tank at 210 pounds.

No, Hutson doesn't have the body type to get that big but I'm not worried about his height as much as his weight and strength.

Lastly, Habs have a young defensive crop of pretty big boys that seem to want to outdo each other in weight and strength. Starting with X>>Guhle>>Mailloux>>more to come

Reactions: Habsrule

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I don't see much of a difference between a 6' and 170 pound defenseman and a 5'9" and 175 pound one.
The way the game is being played now, it doesn't matter. Erik Karlsson is on pace to score 100 points as a defenseman and he's no monster. Quinn Hughes looks like you took Adam Fox and put him in the dryer on high heat... and he's among the elite at the position. Duncan Keith will be going into the Hall and he wasn't the biggest dude either.

As long as Hutson can wheel and use his smarts to control the play and allude pressure, he'll be fine. The NHL is no longer a big mans league where thuggery runs rampant.

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010

I'm more concern that Hutson adds muscle into the 180-190 pound range then another inch in height. There have been a lot of shorter NHL defenseman that were strong and nasty as all hell. Odelein was listed at 5'11" but that was about two inches on the generous size. On the other hand, he was built like a tank at 210 pounds.

No, Hutson doesn't have the body type to get that big but I'm not worried about his height as much as his weight and strength.

Lastly, Habs have a young defensive crop of pretty big boys that seem to want to outdo each other in weight and strength. Starting with X>>Guhle>>Mailloux>>more to come
This is quite simple, listen carefully.

If you are not tall you propably have shorter arms (and legs) too. Now you must have a thought what less than avegage lenght arms (and legs) does to your reach.

You have to move faster when you dont have the reach which average player has especially as a defender against NHL caliber forwards. They are fast, strong and they may have a long reach.

Got it? In a big picture it is just physics, math and most importantly - propabilities.

If Hutson improves his speed and especially his acceleration there is no problem propably.

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
The way the game is being played now, it doesn't matter. Erik Karlsson is on pace to score 100 points as a defenseman and he's no monster. Quinn Hughes looks like you took Adam Fox and put him in the dryer on high heat... and he's among the elite at the position. Duncan Keith will be going into the Hall and he wasn't the biggest dude either.

As long as Hutson can wheel and use his smarts to control the play and allude pressure, he'll be fine. The NHL is no longer a big mans league where thuggery runs rampant.
You are cherry picking special players. Short players must surpass and compensate much more which does lowers their odds to be come effective players in NHL. And that is a fact.

Hutson is a great player but i personally need to see how he does it in the pro's because he is quite smol and he is not super fast.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
You are cherry picking special players. Short players must surpass and compensate much more which does lowers their odds to be come effective players in NHL. And that is a fact.

Hutson is a great player but i personally need to see how he does it in the pro's because he is quite smol and he is not super fast.
adam fox isn’t a fast skater either, but he’s agile. I wanted the Pens to draft hutson at our spot because his potential is sky high. the habs score will insulate him well considering they have decent size. doesn’t even need to be a star and he still brings massive value.

Reactions: montreal

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
adam fox isn’t a fast skater either, but he’s agile. I wanted the Pens to draft hutson at our spot because his potential is sky high. the habs score will insulate him well considering they have decent size. doesn’t even need to be a star and he still brings massive value.
That is the reason why he went on 3rd round. Wouldn't you pick norris winner 1st overal, huh? The point is the odds. Hutson has long way to go beat the odds against him.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is quite simple, listen carefully.

If you are not tall you propably have shorter arms (and legs) too. Now you must have a thought what less than avegage lenght arms (and legs) does to your reach.

You have to move faster when you dont have the reach which average player has especially as a defender against NHL caliber forwards. They are fast, strong and they may have a long reach.

Got it? In a big picture it is just physics, math and most importantly - propabilities.

If Hutson improves his speed and especially his acceleration there is no problem propably.
If you only knew what you were talking about....

You should of told that to the 2021 Habs...

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
If you only knew what you were talking about....
Not sure did you get my point. Anyway the message for you was that the height still matters when teams pick players. That is because scouts have jobs and they do care do they hit with the their picks. If they rate players like average hfboarder, their income might be in danger. That is why odds matter. Because the odds, small players wont make it as easy than taller players do. That is why small players are not easily drafted with high pick.

Height has value like skating. You wont draft piss poor skater with good skills very high because he may not develope his skating enough. Skating is a thing what you can improve, but the height (lenght of your arms and legs) is not. And then we come again back to odds.

Yes, there is small players is NHL, more than ever, but you have still better change to become a NHL player if you are even average sized compared to small one. Hutson has to compensate quite a lot in other areas to overcome his lack of reach as a defender to become effective player. So that is why it is way too simple to say that the height doesnt matter anymore because it does.

Have you seen midget winning men's olympic 100m sprint? You havent because the odds are that there is no midget in the world who could win that. There might be one, but the odds are against it.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
Not sure did you get my point. Anyway the message for you was that the height still matters when teams pick players. That is because scouts have jobs and they do care do they hit with the their picks. If they rate players like average hfboarder, their income might be in danger. That is why odds matter. Because the odds, small players wont make it as easy than taller players do. That is why small players are not easily drafted with high pick.

Height has value like skating. You wont draft piss poor skater with good skills very high because he may not develope his skating enough. Skating is a thing what you can improve, but the height (lenght of your arms and legs) is not. And then we come again back to odds.

Yes, there is small players is NHL, more than ever, but you have still better change to become a NHL player if you are even average sized compared to small one. Hutson has to compensate quite a lot in other areas to overcome his lack of reach as a defender to become effective player. So that is why it is way too simple to say that the height doesnt matter anymore because it does.

Have you seen midget winning men's olympic 100m sprint? You havent because the odds are that there is no midget in the world who could win that. There might be one, but the odds are against it.
good thing Hutson grew looking likely that he hits 5'11" like his dad or brother

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
That I rather have? Pretty easily off the top of my head. Power, Seider, Drysdale, Sanderson, Hughes, Byram, Mintyukov, Korchinski, Edvinsson, Clarke, Nemec, Jiricek, Zellweger, Mateychuk and more if I cared enough to look.

and I'd take every single one of those players over Guhle... easily.
Spot the Ducks fan!?!?!

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Schneider? Come on. That is ludicrous.

Tell me what Sanderson does better than Guhle, please. I really wonder.

Jiricek, Nemec, Power, Seider, I 100% agree. Id have Mintyukov there too, but realize hes less proven.

Even so, you realise that very little of these guys create actual separation? Maybe its not lol-worthy that Guhles that good.

Its a shame (and not, for our pick) that he got injured because I feel like hes very underrated, mostly because he had an insane growth in his game in the last 2 years.
Guhle is more physical than Sanderson. that’s it. Sanderson is better at puck retreivals, Is the better skater, has the more refined offensive game and is Better in the defensive zone.

But you’re a Sanderson hater, and have been for a LONG time. so you’re going to call bullshit on all of those facts, aren’t you? It probably HURTS you that Sanderson has played so Well in the NHL.

Get your biased Montreal Canadiens takes out of here and be objective for once.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
the message for you was that the height still matters when teams pick players. That is because scouts have jobs and they do care do they hit with the their picks.
This is true. However, net results will change - and are changing - thought processes and I credit that to the success that players such as Erik Karlsson, Shayne Gostisbehere, Cale Makar, Adam Fox, and Quinn Hughes have had. All of those players saw their draft status hampered due to their style, size and competition. What the league is seeing firsthand now is that smaller, thin players are producing wonderful stats. Just look at Jack Hughes, Trevor Zegras, Mitch Marner, etc. at forward. Connor Bedard is 5-10 and will go 1st and absolutely dominate the NHL in the coming years.

That said, your point is well taken, and you are correct when you allude to scouts making the "safe play" and checking off all the boxes, which include size, body, and reach.

My point is that Hutson is showing that he will be able to compensate for his lack of size with superior skill, agility, hockey IQ, and offensive instincts. When you look at his production this year, I believe I recently read that he has the highest PPG for an NCAA defenseman at his age, ever? He was pacing ahead of guys like Leetch, Fox, and both Hughes defensemen.

If the NHL was still being played like it was in the 90s or DPE, there's a chance a kid like Hutson doesn't even make the show due to executive mindset, but in 2023 and beyond, this kid will be given every opportunity to be the next Housley, Svoboda, Leetch, Rafalski, Karlsson, Hughes... or at a lesser extent... Krug and Gostisbehere.

Reactions: EveryDay

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Guhle is more physical than Sanderson. that’s it. Sanderson is better at puck retreivals, Is the better skater, has the more refined offensive game and is Better in the defensive zone.

But you’re a Sanderson hater, and have been for a LONG time. so you’re going to call bullshit on all of those facts, aren’t you? It probably HURTS you that Sanderson has played so Well in the NHL.

Get your biased Montreal Canadiens takes out of here and be objective for once.
Im a Sanderson realist. Looks like I was right too, as I always compared him to Guhle, lol.

Im never biased. I have been very critical of Habs, probably more than every other teams. The Habs are bad, have been bad and will be bad.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He was officially measured at 5’8.25” at the draft combine in June, then 4 months later, at the start of the NCAA season, BU listed him at 5’10”. It’s extremely unlikely because virtually nobody grows 1.75” in 4 months at the age of 18.

Hell, growing 1.75” in 4 months at any age is very uncommon. Men tend to grow ~3” in their fastest year of growth, or ~1” in 4 months, but that’s around when they hit puberty. For the year from age 18 to 19 men average ~0.3” of growth, or ~0.1” in 4 months. 1.75” inches in 4 months at 18 would be an insanely extreme outlier.

I really like Hutson as a prospect, just pointing out that his listed NCAA height is very, very likely exaggerated.

Are you aware of his growth plate issue or not?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Spot the Ducks fan!?!?!
Any GM would take any of the big Ducks 3 over Hutson. You can try to say im being biased all you want doesn't change the fact.

Ducks are good at drafting defenders.
The delusion in here is terrifying.... Do these people act like this on the team board? Yikes. Montreal prospects are definitely better than any other one. I was actually a huge Hutson fan look at my previous posts before the draft. That being said he's looking impressive in NCAA but he's built like I was when I was 15, going to be a big jump playing against NHLers for him compared to others.

Reactions: LeProspector

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Any GM would take any of the big Ducks 3 over Hutson. You can try to say im being biased all you want doesn't change the fact.

The delusion in here is terrifying.... Do these people act like this on the team board? Yikes. Montreal prospects are definitely better than any other one. I was actually a huge Hutson fan look at my previous posts before the draft. That being said he's looking impressive in NCAA but he's built like I was when I was 15, going to be a big jump playing against NHLers for him compared to others.
You were a huge Hutson fan, but now that your favorite team didn’t draft him you’ll find anything just to say he’s not that good.

Who cares about what GMs would do, they’re making mistakes time and time again by ignoring smaller but more skilled players to take ‘’big’’.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
You were a huge Hutson fan, but now that your favorite team didn’t draft him you’ll find anything just to say he’s not that good.

Who cares about what GMs would do, they’re making mistakes time and time again by ignoring smaller but more skilled players to take ‘’big’’.
So comparing him to some of the best defensemen prospects on the planet is saying he's not good ? Got it, makes perfect sense.

Just like people that use the logic of I like MJ over LeBron must mean I'm talking shit about LeBron or not like him. Which is some more great logic like you're using.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Like DeBrincat, and like Caufield, this prospect wasn’t 6 foot 4 and magically shrunk to under 6 feet.

He has tailored his game in a way that has let him excel at almost every facet comparative to his peers.

Him being undersized would only be of a concern to me if he was once a giant relying on his physical attributes- but I’m sure he knows his shortcomings and where his style of play can shine.

You don’t need a monstrous shot to excel and be an all-star in this league, as long as the rest of the package is there. You don’t need to be the biggest guy, you don’t have to be the fastest.

I’m confident the rest of the package is up to par and more than makes up for his lack of size in which he has tailored his game to accommodate.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As an Habs fan, It amaze me how many Mtl fans are calling the management genius for drafting him at 62. They are not.

They didn't take him at 26 or 33. They didn't trade up either (to make sure they got him when they saw hm fall. With the way he's playing (and the fact he had proof he would grow), he was easily worth it at 26 or 33.

Fact is, 32 teams look dumb today, but 1 is also lucky.
Yep pretty much that… thought the ducks would go for him with 1 of our picks (late 1st, or early 2nd) but Hutson and zellweger prob wasn’t an ideal future defense

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Like DeBrincat, and like Caufield, this prospect wasn’t 6 foot 4 and magically shrunk to under 6 feet.

He has tailored his game in a way that has let him excel at almost every facet comparative to his peers.

Him being undersized would only be of a concern to me if he was once a giant relying on his physical attributes- but I’m sure he knows his shortcomings and where his style of play can shine.

You don’t need a monstrous shot to excel and be an all-star in this league, as long as the rest of the package is there. You don’t need to be the biggest guy, you don’t have to be the fastest.

I’m confident the rest of the package is up to par and more than makes up for his lack of size in which he has tailored his game to accommodate.
DeBrincat and Caufield are not defensemen though so why are those the examples? Playing forward or defense couldn't be further apart... defensemen have to win puck battles, take hits on the forecheck, protect the net, push people from screening goalie, etc. Forwards have to score the puck.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
DeBrincat and Caufield are not defensemen though so why are those the examples? Playing forward or defense couldn't be further apart... defensemen have to win puck battles, take hits on the forecheck, protect the net, push people from screening goalie, etc. Forwards have to score the puck.
That’s a good point and I know it’s ridiculous to think Lane can beat out historical precedence and is some kind of statistical anomaly but as a prospect he’s done nothing short of anything anyone can ask for.

Maybe it’s naive for me to say we should wait to put shortcomings in him until it’s been exposed as a weakness, but I will still scratch my scratch ticket regardless of how low of a percentage chance I have of winning.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
That’s a good point and I know it’s ridiculous to think Lane can beat out historical precedence and is some kind of statistical anomaly but as a prospect he’s done nothing short of anything anyone can ask for.

Maybe it’s naive for me to say we should wait to put shortcomings in him until it’s been exposed as a weakness, but I will still scratch my scratch ticket regardless of how low of a percentage chance I have of winning.
Shit I would and anyone would love to have him as a prospect... He has huge upside, he could literally be the next Karlsson who knows. I was simply correcting someone in here who was randomly talking about Guhle. So I don't even know how this switched the Hutson other than me saying he is built similar to how I was when I was 15 (which is a fact).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad