LD K'Andre Miller (2018, 22nd, NYR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This may be the most talented roster Wisconsin will have in a long time

If they can stop taking so many penalties and get their special teams in some resemblance of order they can get back into the tournament

Nice combination of sophomores and talented freshman.
Good developmental path for Mille.r

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
This may be the most talented roster Wisconsin will have in a long time

If they can stop taking so many penalties and get their special teams in some resemblance of order they can get back into the tournament

Nice combination of sophomores and talented freshman.
Good developmental path for Mille.r

Just by virtue of them not losing a ton to grad/pro hockey + the influx of talent, by the new year they should be doing a lot better and taking less penalties. And K'Andre won't have to do anywhere near as much, in theory, though who knows how that will play out in reality. Deep defensive group and a ton of talent up front, though not the most size

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
K’Andre is so good.

Whenever I feel Lias may not pan out I convince myself the Miller and Lias picks were swapped and I feel much better about where Andersson was picked.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
K’Andre is so good.

Whenever I feel Lias may not pan out I convince myself the Miller and Lias picks were swapped and I feel much better about where Andersson was picked.

Not the same draft though.

Lias was 2017, same as Chytil
Miller was 2018, with Kravtsov and Lundkvist

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Yeah I know. At this stage though I don’t worry about the years so much and just consider the rough value and development of our prospects.

Right, if you take that group of 5, and you get 2-3 NHLers out of it, you did well.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Not a good way to start things off but hopefully just being late to a meeting or something like that and not a serious issue.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn't make too much of it, unless we know its something bad.

The demands that college hockey players have to take on is much different than what junior hockey players have to take on, and what professional hockey players have to take on. Most of the NHL has not had to undertake the academic requirements of being a student-athlete at university. It's entirely possible its something that has nothing to do with hockey, and nothing that would cause any adverse reactions without the caveat that Miller is a high-profile hockey name at a big hockey program.

And even if it is something that relates to hockey, I wouldn't automatically believe that it's something that bad. I've never seen anything bad about Miller's character. In fact, his character has been credited in the past.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't make too much of it, unless we know its something bad.

The demands that college hockey players have to take on is much different than what junior hockey players have to take on, and what professional hockey players have to take on. Most of the NHL has not had to undertake the academic requirements of being a student-athlete at university. It's entirely possible its something that has nothing to do with hockey, and nothing that would cause any adverse reactions without the caveat that Miller is a high-profile hockey name at a big hockey program.

And even if it is something that relates to hockey, I wouldn't automatically believe that it's something that bad. I've never seen anything bad about Miller's character. In fact, his character has been credited in the past.
To be honest, though, schools like Wisconsin and most schools with major college football or college basketball programs have massive support systems that the average student at a school doesn't have access for. Yes, its more than the obligations of junior hockey players (although, most players still attend high-school while in their 16 and 17 year old years), some are even part-time students at local universities if the team is located in an area with good to decent schools like London, Kingston, Guelph, and Kitchener.

Reactions: Garyboy

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
To be honest, though, schools like Wisconsin and most schools with major college football or college basketball programs have massive support systems that the average student at a school doesn't have access for. Yes, its more than the obligations of junior hockey players (although, most players still attend high-school while in their 16 and 17 year old years), some are even part-time students at local universities if the team is located in an area with good to decent schools like London, Kingston, Guelph, and Kitchener.

I don’t know how all teams operate but I know that a lot of CHL teams require guys to take classes while they’re on the team, which are online if not near a university. Usually 2 per semester.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Per Carp:

1) There was some news about top Rangers defense prospect K’Andre Miller being suspended for breaking team rules at the University of Wisconsin, where he’s a sophomore. There weren’t many details, and when there are no details you wonder how bad his transgression might have been. So I checked with Badgers coach Tony Granato, who said, “Nope. Nothing major. I have done the same with probably seven or eight guys already. … It is exactly what it is. He broke a team rule and is suspended for (Sunday’s) inter-squad game. Nothing more.”

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Very slow start to the season, statistically.

Would anyone who has been able to actually watch him play be able to comment on how he’s looked, if he’s improved his defensive awareness from last year?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Very slow start to the season, statistically.

Would anyone who has been able to actually watch him play be able to comment on how he’s looked, if he’s improved his defensive awareness from last year?
I haven't been super impressed, though obviously have high expectations. I felt like the role he played on last year's team was much different - they straight-up were just not that good so he was kind of doing whatever, rushing, defending, big part of the offense. In that sense it was kind of hard to evaluate because when he did make a bad play you were like, well, he's a freshman who has to do it all, so all things considered he's good. Now he doesn't need to play that role and I think he has been just alright as being a more contained, measured player. I think he still has a lot of growth as far as how he does in his own end, he has this mix of being big but not particularly physical. I don't need a big hit but I would like to see him use his body to be more imposing. I would describe him as athletic, like he'll make a nice stick play to scoop a puck and send off a nice pass, can really skate when he has some room to operate, but he's not dominant the way you would hope. I wouldn't even say he has necessarily taken a step from last year... not trying to be harsh just how I see it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I haven't been super impressed, though obviously have high expectations. I felt like the role he played on last year's team was much different - they straight-up were just not that good so he was kind of doing whatever, rushing, defending, big part of the offense. In that sense it was kind of hard to evaluate because when he did make a bad play you were like, well, he's a freshman who has to do it all, so all things considered he's good. Now he doesn't need to play that role and I think he has been just alright as being a more contained, measured player. I think he still has a lot of growth as far as how he does in his own end, he has this mix of being big but not particularly physical. I don't need a big hit but I would like to see him use his body to be more imposing. I would describe him as athletic, like he'll make a nice stick play to scoop a puck and send off a nice pass, can really skate when he has some room to operate, but he's not dominant the way you would hope. I wouldn't even say he has necessarily taken a step from last year... not trying to be harsh just how I see it.
Since you seem to watch the team play, a bit off topic, but thought on Kalynuk?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Since you seem to watch the team play, a bit off topic, but thought on Kalynuk?
He hasn't been good this year. Don't know if it's the pressure of being captain or what, but he's been a borderline liability in the d-zone.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He hasn't been good this year. Don't know if it's the pressure of being captain or what, but he's been a borderline liability in the d-zone.
That's disappointing to here considering he has 9 points in 9 games. He should go pro after this year and spend a year or 2 in the AHL anyways.

Appreciate the info.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad