LD Dmitry Simashev - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, KHL (2023, 6th, ARI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Seeing him and But both get drafted to the same team was the highlight of the night for me. They're both legit top 10 prospects imo...the only thing that I'd be slightly worried about is that I don't have a say in development for a few years, but Simashev has such a great head on his shoulders that he'll be more than fine.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
And Wheeler at #5 in 2004
I remember Wheeler was a massive reach at the time (ranked in the 30's I believe), but today he has the 3rd highest point total of that entire draft behind only Ovi and Malkin. The real issue looking back is that he bailed on them.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I just can't help but see so many similarities between Simashev and Sanderson in their draft years.

Both late risers. Big, athletic D men that can skate extremely well and can play a more physical game. Offense started to pick up later in the season with growth and potential for much more.

People would do whatever they can to get a player like Sanderson right now. I think theres a good possibility the same ends up with Simashev.

Last edited:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
241A2B34-98EE-4137-9234-BB15C3BDEDB2.jpeg

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Interesting, why this phenomenal "not even close" "second best player" skater couldnt properly make mens team?

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Seeing him and But both get drafted to the same team was the highlight of the night for me. They're both legit top 10 prospects imo...the only thing that I'd be slightly worried about is that I don't have a say in development for a few years, but Simashev has such a great head on his shoulders that he'll be more than fine.
Neither are close to top 10 in that draft

• Haha
Reactions: Lavar Ball

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I can think of at least 20 better big men skaters drafted in the last 10 years.
Maybe the guy who was the top scout for the St Louis Blues for a decade just watches different prospects than you do. Or maybe he got confused and forgot to run it by his top scout, who was the head amateur scout/scouting director in Tampa for a dozen years? Or maybe they were both confused and forgot to ask the guy who was director of amateur scouting for the avalanche for twelve years? All of them were at the table and on the stage. They do work in the same office. But these kinds of miscommunications do happen. You’re probably right.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I watched a lot of mhl/khl games, and enough of games of other prospects and I would say, may be I would not drafted But in top 10, but I would definitely drafted Simashev in top 10, may be even in top 5, not over Michkov of course, but both in top five.
I like Sanderson comparison, he was the best defensive prospect in the long time. And Simashev is looking like the only one who has potential to be your perfect team two way defenseman with minimum mistakes and maximum upside on the hardest minutes, even if he isn’t top-5/8 defensive point producer in the league.

Reactions: majormajor

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Interesting, why this phenomenal "not even close" "second best player" skater couldnt properly make mens team?
Interesting, you still dont seem to understand just how difficult fully fledged pro hockey is for teenagers huh?

Reactions: Prarievarg

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Interesting, you still dont seem to understand just how difficult fully fledged pro hockey is for teenagers huh?
It is. But for the best skater for a big man "not even close" this should be a doable task. Victor Hedman who is a much worse skater than Simashev played 2 full seasons of pro hockey before the draft.
Heck Vyacheslav Voynov who is a horrible skater compared to Simashev played a significant role in KHL at the same age. And he is not even big

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
It is. But for the best skater for a big man "not even close" this should be a doable task. Victor Hedman who is a much worse skater than Simashev played 2 full seasons of pro hockey before the draft.
Heck Vyacheslav Voynov who is a horrible skater compared to Simashev played a significant role in KHL at the same age. And he is not even big
Oh f***ing well Garl, lets deem him a bust and a failure right away then. Different prospects develop differently at different levels. Its almost as if some kids have a harder time transitioning to pro hockey before theyre 20! Who wouldve thought such a thing huh?

Last edited:

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Oh f***ing well Garl, lets deem him a bust and a failure right away then. Different prospects develop differently at different levels. Its almost as if some kids have a harder time transitioning to pro hockey before theyre 20! Who wouldve thought such a thing huh?
I donät call him a bust. But the "not even close" comment was rather silly

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
You aren’t making sense. None of what you are saying has anything to do with skating.

If you want to switch subjects randomly, that’s fine.

As for KHL/MHL Loko was a special team. They were by far the top team in the MHL standings, having lost only 5 games all season. They were excellent in the playoffs until But got sick and had to sit out, and they lost. Lokomotiv in the KHL was behind only CSKA and SKA among all KHL teams in the standings.

But and Simashev were the two best players on the best MHL team but their KHL team was also a powerhouse and wasn’t playing teenagers regularly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad