LD Dmitry Simashev - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, KHL (2023, 6th, ARI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Color me SHOCKED, just SHOCKED that Garl has a 1-sentence level negative view of Simashev
Just a suggestion.

IMG_1291.jpeg

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A 19 year old D not being ready for the NHL isn't noteworthy.

I'm sure Bill Armstrong was aware of the timetable. They had to feel okay with Simashev and But taking two or three years in Russia, and they had to feel good about what they could do with them when they came over. In Simashev's case, regardless of whether he has a breakthrough in the KHL, I think his tools are going to be very useful in the NHL.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I think this is the best comp with his skating and defensive aptitude but Simashev is a giant…he’s like 3-4 inches on Romanov as a teen and could easily add more muscle to his frame.
No doubt. Too me his playing style is Romanov like. Could be more physical and cover a lot more ground with his size difference.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
A 19 year old D not being ready for the NHL isn't noteworthy.

I'm sure Bill Armstrong was aware of the timetable. They had to feel okay with Simashev and But taking two or three years in Russia, and they had to feel good about what they could do with them when they came over. In Simashev's case, regardless of whether he has a breakthrough in the KHL, I think his tools are going to be very useful in the NHL.
It was reported that other teams soon past their pick had eyes on Simashev as well and that BA didn't think he would last to 12. I dunno how true that is (obviously) but while But has looked a lot better than Simashev (and a lot of other players drafted before him IMO), Simashev also had a ton of improvement this year, if he keeps up at this rate he'll be a solid top 4D when he comes over in 2-3 years. Playing in the KHL and putting up decent points while being extremely unlucky (he hit multiple posts this year and easily could have had a bunch more points) and having the kind of potential as a huge D that skates really well is still solid. GMBA's comments about his potential as the 2nd best player are nothing to scoff at either. Dude took Moser 1-2 rounds ahead of where he was and Doan was a "reach" too, and look at how they've done. Even Guenther at the time was considered a reach.

Hard to say about the 2022 draft but Cooley has looked really good, and we knew Geekie was going to be a project, and Lamoreaux has also looked great for a late 1st. Hrabal was also possibly a reach and has looked really good, and I could talk about Matikka, Lipkin, Nordh, Lutz, Castagna, Goldsmith, and Kipkie,

Plus the trades he made (Dvorak for a 1st AND a 2nd, Kuemper for Timmins and a 1st, Chychrun for 12th, Kesselring for a player we would sign again later, Durzi for a 2nd, Valimaki off waivers, McBain for a 2nd and so many more assets he still has) not even counting the cap space ones have been generally been super solid. I think the dude's resume speaks for itself, he might have the best draft record in the league in the 3 years he's picked in guys who have been hits in the later rounds, or at least look like they should have been drafted higher. Utah probably has the best scouting department in the league too, he got so many guys who had tons of experience like @rt has said. I wasn't a fan of the picks at all when they drafted (mostly Simashev as I'm a huge Michkov fan and Benson was close to my top 5 too) but I wasn't a fan of Moser or Doan at those picks either and they've majorly blown me away.

Reactions: Guadana

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It was reported that other teams soon past their pick had eyes on Simashev as well and that BA didn't think he would last to 12. I dunno how true that is (obviously) but while But has looked a lot better than Simashev (and a lot of other players drafted before him IMO), Simashev also had a ton of improvement this year, if he keeps up at this rate he'll be a solid top 4D when he comes over in 2-3 years. Playing in the KHL and putting up decent points while being extremely unlucky (he hit multiple posts this year and easily could have had a bunch more points) and having the kind of potential as a huge D that skates really well is still solid. GMBA's comments about his potential as the 2nd best player are nothing to scoff at either. Dude took Moser 1-2 rounds ahead of where he was and Doan was a "reach" too, and look at how they've done. Even Guenther at the time was considered a reach.

Hard to say about the 2022 draft but Cooley has looked really good, and we knew Geekie was going to be a project, and Lamoreaux has also looked great for a late 1st. Hrabal was also possibly a reach and has looked really good, and I could talk about Matikka, Lipkin, Nordh, Lutz, Castagna, Goldsmith, and Kipkie,

Plus the trades he made (Dvorak for a 1st AND a 2nd, Kuemper for Timmins and a 1st, Chychrun for 12th, Kesselring for a player we would sign again later, Durzi for a 2nd, Valimaki off waivers, McBain for a 2nd and so many more assets he still has) not even counting the cap space ones have been generally been super solid. I think the dude's resume speaks for itself, he might have the best draft record in the league in the 3 years he's picked in guys who have been hits in the later rounds, or at least look like they should have been drafted higher. Utah probably has the best scouting department in the league too, he got so many guys who had tons of experience like @rt has said. I wasn't a fan of the picks at all when they drafted (mostly Simashev as I'm a huge Michkov fan and Benson was close to my top 5 too) but I wasn't a fan of Moser or Doan at those picks either and they've majorly blown me away.

By my recollection, none of those players you mentioned are real "reaches", as in a selection that would have surprised other teams scouts. I heard discussion of them going where they went.

Though some of them are the sort of players HFers called reaches when they were picked. And Guenther I think was generally ranked top ten and he went 9th.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
By my recollection, none of those players you mentioned are real "reaches", as in a selection that would have surprised other teams scouts. I heard discussion of them going where they went.

Though some of them are the sort of players HFers called reaches when they were picked. And Guenther I think was generally ranked top ten and he went 9th.
Moser was projected in the 4th or later by most productions. Shit, the earliest I saw Doan ranked was 64. I think the earliest I saw Moser ranked was 88 by Pronman. A couple places had Doan around 80-100 too. Bob Mckenzie's scout list didn't have Moser in the top 120 (several places didn't) and had Doan at 64. Those players were picked 37 and 60. Obviously we don't know what the NHL scouts on teams are saying and they could be communicating or have a better idea that a player will be picked earlier than ranked, but those were definitely consensus reaches. Guenther you're right, he was ranked from 2-10ish and McKenzie had him at 6 on his scouting list. But hitting on both Moser and Doan as overagers way ahead of where most people had them ranked is still extremely impressive.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Hjalmarsson. Harrington, Stecher, Forsling but meaner, bigger, and more physical. Steady, rock solid minute munching d-man who is defensively minded. May or may not have the ability to put up points in the NHL
Simashev is not "mean" or physical player. More of a Jay Bouwmeester type. Also, would not call him a defensive defenseman, he is more of a raw 2way type

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad