LD Anton Silayev - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2024, 10th, NJ)

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
People who don't understand that players are not evaluated based on the number of points... especially police defensemen.

The first year of discovery, I'm willing, I was like that but when you accumulate the years of draft - that you see Dragicevic and Simashev year after year - it's less acceptable. Obviously Silayev wasn't going to keep up the pace. The points record for a U18 is only 10 and 2 for a defender. It is his ability to be effective on the ice in the KHL that is evaluated.

Simashev was 6th without scoring a point and 6cm less.
"Premature" doesnt mean that he will not be drafted high. Dont climb on your horse too much

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
"Premature" doesnt mean that he will not be drafted high. Dont climb on your horse too much
Premature? Things won't change. Silayev made his place at the start of the season, it is certain that he will keep it and that he will always measure 2 meters which is necessarily a very high profile and his case can necessarily be compared with that of Simashev. You persisted for a year in telling users that they were wrong about Simashev without trying to understand why Simashev was advertised so highly.

Madness is repeating the same mistakes. You've been here since 2006. It's still terrible.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Premature? Things won't change. Silayev made his place at the start of the season, it is certain that he will keep it and that he will always measure 2 meters which is necessarily a very high profile and his case can necessarily be compared with that of Simashev. You persisted for a year in telling users that they were wrong about Simashev without trying to understand why Simashev was advertised so highly.

Madness is repeating the same mistakes. You've been here since 2006. It's still terrible.

I said it is premature to rank him first or TOP 5 because he was on a hot streak.
Simashev was a reach btw. But he was highly ranked compared to Silayev year ago in August

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I said it is premature to rank him first or TOP 5 because he was on a hot streak.
Simashev was a reach btw. But he was highly ranked compared to Silayev year ago in August
I put him 4th imagining that he wouldn't finish more than 10 points behind. Winning a place in a top 4 at 17 years old for a 2 meter defender is something exceptional.

Michkov and Demidov did not achieve this by being forwards (therefore generally ahead of the defenders), small size potential top 3.

Simashev had no series of points and yet was 6th.

Stop insisting on being wrong. Silayev is already immovable. It will not drop in level and lose size.

A 2m defender with 0.5PPG at 17 years old - he's #1 in the draft because it's unheard of. So you see no one is overreacting here. We're just talking about a potential top 5.

The comparison with Simashev will be held all year round.

You already made a big mistake last year by focusing on Simashev.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I put him 4th imagining that he wouldn't finish more than 10 points behind. Winning a place in a top 4 at 17 years old for a 2 meter defender is something exceptional.

Michkov and Demidov did not achieve this by being forwards (therefore generally ahead of the defenders), small size potential top 3.

Simashev had no series of points and yet was 6th.

Stop insisting on being wrong. Silayev is already immovable. It will not drop in level and lose size.

A 2m defender with 0.5PPG at 17 years old - he's #1 in the draft because it's unheard of. So you see no one is overreacting here. We're just talking about a potential top 5.

The comparison with Simashev will be held all year round.

You already made a big mistake last year by focusing on Simashev.
Man, which mistake? I stated my opinion and thats it, I did not make any predictions about where Simashev will go.
I for example was always low on Kravtsov, yet he went 9 overall

He was not ranked anywhere before September, then he scores some points and suddenly he is first overall. It is overreaction even if he is 2m long.

Torpedo is doing things differently, it is obvious. It is not a coincidence that 2 of their draft eligible players are on pace to break all time records.

It happens sometimes, how do you think Adam Larsson has an all time record for D-1 season in Sweden? Well, he was physically mature and his coach trusted him. Rasmus Dahlin or lets say Leo Carlsson scored less at the same age, way less

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Man, which mistake? I stated my opinion and thats it, I did not make any predictions about where Simashev will go.
I for example was always low on Kravtsov, yet he went 9 overall

He was not ranked anywhere before September, then he scores some points and suddenly he is first overall. It is overreaction even if he is 2m long.

Torpedo is doing things differently, it is obvious. It is not a coincidence that 2 of their draft eligible players are on pace to break all time records.

It happens sometimes, how do you think Adam Larsson has an all time record for D-1 season in Sweden? Well, he was physically mature and his coach trusted him. Rasmus Dahlin or lets say Leo Carlsson scored less at the same age, way less
Why still players with Russian or Belarusian nationality ? Why are there always examples of high-selected players failing when there are plenty of examples of underrated Russian players (Kucherov, Kaprizov, Romanov, Nikishin) ?

If you were talking about other subjects ok but that's just that. We know why you're here. It's like the other user with his obsession against the Finns. Just spitting on players they don't watch for nationality reasons. Pathetic.

I reread your messages on the Simashev topic, it was very funny.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think a lot of the comments in this thread of late are good points being made, but he’s also a 6’7 defensemen that skates well. He’s ranked high on Bob’s early list because an NHL team is going to swing on that, despite him probably having a longer way to reach his potential than most from his draft.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Why still players with Russian or Belarusian nationality ? Why are there always examples of high-selected players failing when there are plenty of examples of underrated Russian players (Kucherov, Kaprizov, Romanov, Nikishin) ?

If you were talking about other subjects ok but that's just that. We know why you're here. It's like the other user with his obsession against the Finns. Just spitting on players they don't watch for nationality reasons. Pathetic.

I reread your messages on the Simashev topic, it was very funny.
How did I miss that gem?

It is very nice that you have added Belarus here, since it helps to highlight the point.
I was born in Russia and I speak russian better than english. Thats it. I know more about Russian or Belarussian hockey than about NA hockey, or czech or finnish. I also watch a lot of swedish hockey, but it is rare that I have to debunk any narratives there.

Now, Belarus, I have not posted much about them. You claimed I posted smth negative about Levshunov, which totally never happened, and why would I? Same as with russians who playing NA like Max Namestnikov for example.

They only time I talked about BLR here is my argument with you regarding BLR vs GER vs SUI. And because I disagree with your thesis you declared me to be some kind of BLR hater because I dont think they will overcome Switzerland and Germany or Slovakia in foreseeble future. Isnt it a bit ridiculous?

• Haha
Reactions: BMann

Dr Jablonski PhD

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I can't help but feel like his skating and size are propping him up at his young age. I don't see superb puck handling, placement, IQ, offensive ability, but I have to watch more

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Vengrizhanovsky beat both him and Konyushkov scoring the only goal.

it was a boring game but credit to Omsk as they played great defensively. It wasn't the best game that i've seen from Konyushkov but he is impressing the hell out of me as he's got elite mobility, moves the puck so well and so far seems like he plays a mostly mistake free game as in the 4 or 5 games i've seen now he rarely has made a mistake that i've seen.

Silayev with his size and skating is impressive but I like Artamonov more as his speed is great and I like the shot he's got and can move the puck. Looks like his ice time may have dipped a little as it wasn't his best game but that one chance where he fumble the puck a bit and then got taken down, if he had gotten it cleanly he could have been in all alone with his speed. Both look to be very interesting prospects for this summer draft.

Reactions: slumpy43 and kp61c

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Omsk played it very safe, playoffesque, because their coach is in trouble after a bad start. Not the best game for youngsters to shine

Reactions: montreal

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He shows flashes of solid play. But, he can struggle with pace of play. His quick decision making is definitely questionable at times. He’s definitely going to need to improve his acceleration as well. I’d like to see him a bit more engaged in the defensive zone.

It is impressive that he gets regular shifts in the KHL. Igor Larionov puts him out in all situations from what I’ve seen so far. I’ve watched a lot of prospects and I’ve never seen a player so young be deployed as much as him in the top league. Considering his age and the fact he’s playing for a good team in the KHL, that’s a huge accomplishment. I like his level of engagement in the offensive zone and his willingness to engage physically. He is a relied upon player for Novgorod.

I think it is too early to tell where he will go in the draft. He needs to find more consistency. He’ll definitely go first round.

Last edited:

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
1 Point in his last 13 Games. Scoreless in his last 4 and an 8 game scoreless drought prior to a 1 Goal game. I have warmed up to Silayev's game a bit, he's a great skater for his size and has a strong feel for the game but I feel the shift in his offense does need to be noted. His ice time remains the same so it's not him getting less changes, and Torpedo is still an offensive minded team, they're still winning games from scoring. Going to be a tough player to scout it seems.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
1 Point in his last 13 Games. Scoreless in his last 4 and an 8 game scoreless drought prior to a 1 Goal game. I have warmed up to Silayev's game a bit, he's a great skater for his size and has a strong feel for the game but I feel the shift in his offense does need to be noted. His ice time remains the same so it's not him getting less changes, and Torpedo is still an offensive minded team, they're still winning games from scoring. Going to be a tough player to scout it seems.
He’s very tough at times to evaluate him because even period-to-period he is fairly inconsistent. His decision making in the offensive zone is sometimes missing a step. It seems like he’s a bit too prone to taking nothing wrist shots from the point. But, he does engage in the offensive zone quite a bit.

When he is at his best, he really looks like a beast. As of late, he’s definitely cooled down though but I don’t think anybody expected him to be playing at this level. So the fact he is getting regular shifts says a lot about how his coach feels about him.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Great article on Silayev by Wheeler on The Athletic. Paywall, of course, but he provides over a dozen clips highlighting the traits that make him an interesting prospect. He concludes with the following:

I can say without hyperbole that I can count on one hand the number of prospects I’ve scouted in a decade of doing this who are as unique as he is. He’s got a strong early case for top-five consideration — and is in that mix for my upcoming draft ranking — to be sure.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He’s very tough at times to evaluate him because even period-to-period he is fairly inconsistent. His decision making in the offensive zone is sometimes missing a step. It seems like he’s a bit too prone to taking nothing wrist shots from the point. But, he does engage in the offensive zone quite a bit.

When he is at his best, he really looks like a beast. As of late, he’s definitely cooled down though but I don’t think anybody expected him to be playing at this level. So the fact he is getting regular shifts says a lot about how his coach feels about him.
i watch highlights and i have dreams of hedman.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
The talent and potential is undoubtedly there. Yes there will be quite a few off games, thats to be expected for a young giant kid whose learning the pro game and still growing into his frame. The strength, smarts and speed of this player will improve as time goes on and he becomes more accustomed to the KHL. He’s definitely going to be one helluva project, the team that drafts him will need to slowcook for a few years

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad